Tampa, FL (Specifically Apollo Beach)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Okay so my IC40 was replaced under warranty. The replacement still isn't generating chlorine. Water looks like Crud. I've been putting in jugs of chlorine from the pools store.
Called Pentair and they asked to have the water tested at the pool store. Of course my Phosphates are at 200 PPB. My CH at the store measured 450, their recommended levels are 250-400. When I test at home I get a reading of 400. But now Pentair says it needs to be under 400. And they want me to reduce phosphates.
I don't have a problem removing phosphates but to reduce CH to around 300ppm I am looking at replacing 50% of my water as my tap water is 200ppm CH.

Any opinions out there? It has been a constant struggle maintaining this pool and I'm really hoping to be able to manage it myself without a pool service. Water is cloudy and chlorine is just flying out the pool. I've been adding CYA and it seems like it just is not taking.

What is indicating that the cell is not producing chlorine?
My chlorine levels dropped down to zero. I put in a jug of chlorine from the pool store. I tested over several days, multiple times a day. Chlorine levels only went down. I had it on Suerchlorinate at the time.
What lights do you have on your IC40?

Have you done a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
All the lights are green.

I gave in a purchased a phosphate remover from the pool store. Had the water tested at 2 local places one showed 200 ppm and the other showed 296 ppm. Pentair is saying that needs to go down and may be the cause.
CH tested at home said 400, one pool store was at 450 the other was 289.

The SWCG cannot fight algae.
You need to follow the SLAM Process

Phosphate remover can only be used when your pool is algae free. It will create a mess if used with active algae.

Reactions: JayRi
The SWCG cannot fight algae.
You need to follow the SLAM Process

Phosphate remover can only be used when your pool is algae free. It will create a mess if used with active algae.
😫I already added the Phosphate remover. I'll get a chlorine test done tonight anyway and see where I am in the morning.

Update: Started the SLAM on Monday 8/2 through Friday 8/13. Every day my numbers went down on the OCLT. Saturday and Sunday i didn't bother testing. Had company over and had some long nights. On Sunday night I took a chlorine test. Monday Morning the numbers were spot on. Letting my chlorine level drop and will turn on the salt cell in a day or two.
Just wanted to say thanks, pool is looking amazing. Frankly I believe there was always an issue. Pool never really looked sparkly clean. I even find the color to be more bright (maybe I'm just crazy)

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.