Pentair IC40 errors every 12 hours

I get all the same error messages. The Pentair rep says my salt is too high and that's why I'm getting all these errors... Yeah OK.
Both the Intellicenter and Intelliflo manuals specifically say to feed the Intelliflo pumps directly from the circuit breaker when using their Automation and the SWG transformer via the pump relay.
I do not see any ground fault protection in those photos.
Yes, correct
And yes, you are correct in my opinion, the pump breaker should be the recommended Pentair GFCI breaker per the documentation. The Pentair breakers have a bit more QC than the comparable Siemens breakers from what I understand. Good catch!
r.

Last edited:
SPenfold
So how is power to your pump currently wired?
I missed that little footnote, but it does say in the "Wiring the IntelliChlor to the IntelliCenter Load Center Filter Pump Relay" section:

"Connect IntelliFlo® Pump AC power
cord to 240 Volt 20 AMP direct circuit
breaker in IntelliCenter load center or
separate sub-panel"

This is very curious.
Time for some questions and experimentation.
r.

SPenfold
So how is power to your pump currently wired?
I missed that little footnote, but it does say in the "Wiring the IntelliChlor to the IntelliCenter Load Center Filter Pump Relay" section:

"Connect IntelliFlo® Pump AC power
cord to 240 Volt 20 AMP direct circuit
breaker in IntelliCenter load center or
separate sub-panel"

This is very curious.
Time for some questions and experimentation.
r.
My pump and swg transformer are currently being fed from the load side of the pump relay; running 24/7 (DON'T STOP). I might try swapping the pump wires over to the line side when I get some free time, however i don't expect to see any change until I decrease my runtime.

My pump and swg transformer are currently being fed from the load side of the pump relay; running 24/7 (DON'T STOP). I might try swapping the pump wires over to the line side when I get some free time, however i don't expect to see any change until I decrease my runtime.
SPenfold
Recommend that your pump be wired to the line side of the relay (continuous power) or from the breaker if you are using an IntelliFlo pump.
That is how mine is wired and confirmed correct by Pentair Tech Support.
Thanks,
r.

Last edited:
I do not see any ground fault protection in those photos.
SPenfold
I sort of skipped over this fact on the first go around, due to the larger issue but you are correct (good catch).
Actually the GFCI issue (or I should say, the lack of them) would actually be more important in my book anyway .
I see where the pool light appears to be wired through the Load Side of the convenience outlet but that's it.
It sure would be nice to see the other two-pole breakers though, be GFCI breakers.
I'm just OCD when it comes to stuff like that.
Thanks...
r.

Are not Pentair VS pumps to use a Pentair / Siemens circuit breaker?
Marty,
Yes, sir... That has always been my understanding (and that is what Pentair specifies in their documentation).

"Pentair offers 2-Pole 20 Amp GFCI breakers (P/N
PA220GF) which offer personnel protection while
meeting 2008 to current NEC Standards for Pool
Pumps."

My Intelliflo is connected directly to the circuit breaker, not through the relay. The RS485 cable controls the pump functions via the Easytouch.
I am not an electrician. But I thought all Intelliflo pumps were to be wired this way. Not sure if the Intellicenter is different.

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolmama!
Your pump is wired correctly!
I just went out and looked at mine and also just for kicks, confirmed same with Pentair this morning.
I apologize for any confusion and I stand corrected. I'm really not sure where I read otherwise and not sure why I thought mine was not wired for continuous power because it is (just like yours and many others here).
Just to be clear on this. An IntelliFlo pump SHOULD have continuous power (wired to the breaker or line side of the relay (its the same thing)), when connected to any Pentair automation. Pump control is provided through the RS-485 cable and NOT from a relay turning the pump on or off.
So that clears that up.

However, I would call your PB and tell him that he should have used the Pentair recommended GFCI breaker for the pump.
I would recommend that you consider having him replace the other breakers with GFCI breakers but especially the pump breaker. It's called for in the pump manual.
Here is the quote from the manual.

Pumps."

Sorry again for the temporary confusion. However, I realize that this does not solve the initial issue regarding the IntelliChlor alerts, but that is another story and not related to the wiring of the pump.
Thanks for your patience.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snikwah
Poolmama!
Your pump is wired correctly!
I just went out and looked at mine and also just for kicks, confirmed same with Pentair this morning.
I apologize for any confusion and I stand corrected. I'm really not sure where I read otherwise and not sure why I thought mine was not wired for continuous power because it is (just like yours and many others here).
Just to be clear on this. An IntelliFlo pump SHOULD have continuous power (wired to the breaker or line side of the relay (its the same thing)), when connected to any Pentair automation. Pump control is provided through the RS-485 cable and NOT from a relay turning the pump on or off.
So that clears that up.

However, I would call your PB and tell him that he should have used the Pentair recommended GFCI breaker for the pump.
I would recommend that you consider having him replace the other breakers with GFCI breakers but especially the pump breaker. It's called for in the pump manual.
Here is the quote from the manual.

Pumps."

Sorry again for the temporary confusion. However, I realize that this does not solve the initial issue regarding the IntelliChlor alerts, but that is another story and not related to the wiring of the pump.
Thanks for your patience.
r.

Thanks for the follow up...glad to know the wiring is correct. Any idea why Service Mode doesn't turn off the pump?

Look at your pump screen. It should say Display Not Active. If it does not, then the RS485 cable is not installed.

OK -- good. Then we will need to wait for MyAZ as they have the info on Intellicenter. I suspect the pump is not set up in the system. But not sure how Intellicenter works.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Hi Poolmama!
Exactly what Marty says.

Essentially the service and the timer modes are only used for pool/spa maintenance or service purposes, in order to manually control and test your systems pool equipment.
When your IntelliCenter is placed in SERVICE mode, your display/touch screen will display the words "SERVICE MODE" just below the system time.
All system auxiliary or AUX circuits will be disabled once the Service or Timer modes are selected. Once "AUTO" mode is selected, normal operation of all of your equipment will resume
and the system will no longer be in the service mode.

Your IntelliCenter system should always be in the "AUTO" mode (normally), so that your other equipment functions properly.

When in "SERVICE MODE" your IntelliFlo pump should NOT lose power if that is what you are thinking. In order to turn your pumps(s) or your pool light on when in "SERVICE MODE", you must first press the "Manual Circuit Control" button and then choose the circuit (your pump(s) or light), which will allow for manual control of those items. The circuit button will turn green when that particular circuit button is activated and the device is on.

But not much of that stuff should matter to you normally. You should almost always be in "AUTO" mode unless you or a service tech is testing something out.

You need to be in "AUTO" mode for your pump to act normally. I agree with Marty's statement in his post above. I think that the pump is not setup properly in the automation (IntelliCenter).

I would be happy to help you with that. Contact me over on the private message (PM) side if you prefer. I can guide you on how to send me screenshots of your IntelliCenter Web-Client pages (if you need assistance with that), so I can then see what you have setup and how it is setup and then we can get you squared away and off and running with your new IntelliCenter.
r.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up...glad to know the wiring is correct. Any idea why Service Mode doesn't turn off the pump?

Are you asking about powering off the pump or stopping the pump?

I believe the pump will be stopped but not powered off. To power off the pump you need to turn the CB off.

Are you asking about powering off the pump or stopping the pump?

I believe the pump will be stopped but not powered off. To power off the pump you need to turn the CB off.

Stopping the pump. Nothing happens when you select service mode (the SWG goes completely off, but the pump keeps running like nothing happened).

Stopping the pump. Nothing happens when you select service mode (the SWG goes completely off, but the pump keeps running like nothing happened).
Hi Poolmama!
The only way to stop the pump from running in SERVICE mode is to turn off the pump Manual Circuit Control using its designated button in the Service Mode Menu.
But let's not worry too much about that because service mode is not the normal way that the IntelliCenter should operate.
I saw your question in PM and will respond to you there regarding how to setup the pump for NORMAL AUTO operation.
You should never really need to be in SERVICE MODE for normal operation.
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.