Pentair IC40 errors every 12 hours

Poolmama!

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Celina, Tx
Curious if anyone else has dealt with this (I haven't called Pentair yet...PB has and basically got a 'don't worry about it' answer). We currently have our (new) pool running:
4am-6am - cleaning mode (have in floor system) - 3000rpm
6am-2pm - normal mode 2000rpm
2pm-4pm - cleaning mode - 3000rpm
4pm-10pm - normal mode 2000rpm
10pm-4am - off

At 6am and 6pm I get these email notifications:

The water is definitely not cold (currently 89 degrees) and we don't have low salt. Taylor kit=3,400 and IC40 says 3,300...except at 6am and 6pm when it thinks there's low salt.

A few days ago I changed the program from 5am start to 6am start just to see what happened...previously I got the notifications at 5am and 5pm. So still every time it starts and 12 hours later I get these errors. I don't think ignoring them is a good plan lest I ignore a 'real' error in the future. PB says the unit itself does flash low salt for a couple minutes and then clears. Thoughts?

Every 12 hours (and at initial startup) the Intellichlor 'reboots' and tests the salinity. That is what you are seeing.

You show the IC off from 10pm-4am. Is there no power to it during that time? How is it 'off'?

Then they have the IC wired incorrectly. The power should be completely removed from the IC when the pump is off.

Poolmama! & mknauss

Sorry to pipe in, but those emails are somewhat normal but NOT normal (according to Pentair if that makes any sense).
Here is the deal.

I get them (same exact ones) when the schedule begins and then every hour on the hour while the pump circuit is energized.
I unchecked the communication lost option for the Intellichlor because that will just cause more emails.

Poolmama! , I really can't say for sure that your IntelliChlor is wired correctly or incorrectly (without looking at a photo of the load center with the high voltage cover panel removed), but I can assure you that mine is wired correctly and I still get the same alerts that you are receiving.

Pentair is aware of this issue and hopefully an update will come out soon that will address it. I have noted this problem in several of my IntelliCenter threads here on TFP.
I'm running some test beta's right now and those have not corrected the problem as of late.
In the meantime, I have created a "rule" in my outlook mail client that essentially moves all of those particular IntelliCenter email alerts (that pertain to the IntelliChlor) to another designated folder.

I hope the above information is useful to you and if you have any further questions regarding this matter or any other IntelliCenter issues, I would be happy to see if I can help out.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Poolmama! & mknauss

Sorry to pipe in, but those emails are somewhat normal but NOT normal (according to Pentair if that makes any sense).
Here is the deal.

I get them (same exact ones) when the schedule begins and then every hour on the hour while the pump circuit is energized.
I unchecked the communication lost option for the Intellichlor because that will just cause more emails.

Poolmama! , I really can't say for sure that your IntelliChlor is wired correctly or incorrectly (without looking at a photo of the load center with the high voltage cover panel removed), but I can assure you that mine is wired correctly and I still get the same alerts that you are receiving.

Pentair is aware of this issue and hopefully an update will come out soon that will address it. I have noted this problem in several of my IntelliCenter threads here on TFP.
I'm running some test beta's right now and those have not corrected the problem as of late.
In the meantime, I have created a "rule" in my outlook mail client that essentially moves all of those particular IntelliCenter email alerts (that pertain to the IntelliChlor) to another designated folder.

I hope the above information is useful to you and if you have any further questions regarding this matter or any other IntelliCenter issues, I would be happy to see if I can help out.
r.

Thanks so much. I'll post a pic of the wiring ASAP!

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thanks so much. I'll post a pic of the wiring ASAP!
Poolmama!
Sure, NP. Yes, I would be happy to take a look. But my guess already is that you are fine and that you are just experiencing the same thing that I am experiencing. Not sure if everyone has the same issue, but like I said, Pentair has indicated that they are certainly aware of the issue.
Just not sure what is taking them so long to re-write the code in order to solve it? I reported this issue to them the first time in January.
r.

Poolmama!
Sure, NP. Yes, I would be happy to take a look. But my guess already is that you are fine and that you are just experiencing the same thing that I am experiencing. Not sure if everyone has the same issue, but like I said, Pentair has indicated that they are certainly aware of the issue.
Just not sure what is taking them so long to re-write the code in order to solve it? I reported this issue to them the first time in January.
r.

Attachments

• 1C40A7FE-CCB2-4449-9348-33100B02A1C3.jpeg
    1C40A7FE-CCB2-4449-9348-33100B02A1C3.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 51580733-0C38-4068-B0EB-0EC4392C5166.jpeg
    51580733-0C38-4068-B0EB-0EC4392C5166.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 45826265-5334-412F-8F64-B853A935CE5D.jpeg
    45826265-5334-412F-8F64-B853A935CE5D.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 19
  • E7744082-5D66-4EF1-BE29-DE0878EADC99.jpeg
    E7744082-5D66-4EF1-BE29-DE0878EADC99.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Poolmama!
It certainly looks as though the IntelliChlor is wired correctly.

One thing that I have a question about is this. What is the make and model number of the filter pump? I see both an IntelliFlo VS and a Whisperflo in your siggy. Can I assume that the IntelliFlo VS is your filter pump?
Your current wiring scheme is correct for some pumps but not for others.

Everything else looks copacetic to me.
Filter Pump (and IntelliChlor) on the #1 relay.
Booster Pump on the #2 relay.
Pool Light on the #3 relay.

Please let me know what the make/model of your filter pump is.
Thanks,
r.

Last edited:
Hi Poolmama!

One thing that I just have a question about is this. What is the make and model number of the filter pump? I see both an IntelliFlo VS and a Whisperflo in your siggy. Can I assume that the IntelliFlo VS is your filter pump?
The reason I ask is that it appears to be wired to the line side of the pump relay and not the load side.

Thanks,
r.
7BF7363C-8EE6-4B2A-9795-2A7E6986CD85.jpeg

Attachments

• D042CD8C-5CF1-43C6-BA3C-92BCB62D0040.jpeg
    D042CD8C-5CF1-43C6-BA3C-92BCB62D0040.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi Poolmama!

One thing that I have a question about is this. What is the make and model number of the filter pump? I see both an IntelliFlo VS and a Whisperflo in your siggy. Can I assume that the IntelliFlo VS is your filter pump?
The reason I ask is that it appears to be wired to the line side of the pump relay and not the load side.

Thanks,
r.

Yes, Intelliflo VS is the filter pump. Whisperflo is the water feature only and does not go through the filter.

Hmmm,
That is what I assumed. I would certainly like to know why the installer wired the pump power to the line side of the relay and not the load side.
It really should not be wired that way if that is in fact what I see there.
Can you tell me if the pump has power when the automation does not have the pump scheduled to run. In otherwords, when everything is off, is there still power at the pump? Is the pump display on when the pump is not actively running (pumping water)? Is the control panel at the pump, where you have set the pump run time schedule?
If so, then that is wrong.

Thanks so much for your input. I'll check the pump and let you know. I do know that Service Mode does not turn off the pump...that's an item on our punch list. His pool guy who handled the chemicals the first 10 days is the one who noted that (it does turn off the IC40, but not the pump).

Good to hear the IC is wired properly. That is a safety issue.

If the pump is not disabled in Service Mode, then it is not wired properly as AZ stated. Need to get that fixed.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Poolmama!
Thanks. What you told me, answers my question.
Here is my suggestion.
Contact the PB.
Tell him that you believe that the IntelliFlo is wired incorrectly to the #1 relay (pump relay).
Tell him the pump appears to be wired to the "LINE SIDE" of the relay and not the "LOAD SIDE" (like it should be).
Tell him you would like it wired correctly in accordance with PP 30 and PP36 of the IntelliCenter Control System Installation Guide, to include connecting the IntelliFlo four-conducter low voltage RS-232 communication cable which was provided with the pump..

That should get everything right.
Please let me know if you have any further questions on this issue or programming/scheduling, once you get your pump wired and connected properly.
Glad we caught this for you.
r.

You guys are amazing...thank you so much for taking your time to help those of us who have no idea what you're talking about (I have no idea what line side vs load side means!!) get issues resolved! I'll definitely send it to our PB!

Hmmm,
That is what I assumed. I would certainly like to know why the installer wired the pump power to the line side of the relay and not the load side.
It really should not be wired that way if that is in fact what I see there.
Can you tell me if the pump has power when the automation does not have the pump scheduled to run. In otherwords, when everything is off, is there still power at the pump? Is the pump display on when the pump is not actively running (pumping water)? Is the control panel at the pump, where you have set the pump run time schedule?
If so, then that is wrong.
I get all the same error messages. The Pentair rep says my salt is too high and that's why I'm getting all these errors... Yeah OK.
Both the Intellicenter and Intelliflo manuals specifically say to feed the Intelliflo pumps directly from the circuit breaker when using their Automation and the SWG transformer via the pump relay.
I do not see any ground fault protection in those photos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.