Pentair ic-60 flow problem

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I’m on my second Ic 60. Installed the new unit with new power less than one year ago, it is quite a bit more quirky than my previous IC 60.

problem I’m having now, is the flow light glows red even with more than adequate water flow. I back washed, cleaned the spines of the unit and checked the various lines for obstructions. Water flow itself is not my problem. the thing with the unit will occasionally register no flow with plenty of flow. Also tried cutting the power source for 24 hours, hoping that would be a hard reset. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is or what I can do about it? Thanks, sr

Probably a flakey flow switch. Make a warranty claim with Pentair and get a new flow switch.

Thanks folks, but got curve balled.

Riddle me this:
I cut the flow switch from the unit and stripped the wires to find this. Their all burned, every one is black.

11324A4F-025D-4474-9070-2A48B55F56C1.jpeg
And now out of warranty….

UPDATE: Just talked to Pentair and they gave me something about chlorine gas buildup in the system somehow burns out the wires, but couldn't answer why the rest of the unit was still functioning.

Last edited:
Slow,

I doubt that the black wires are due to over current.. My guess would be some kind of corrosion or chemical reaction...

That said, you should be able to clean the wires and then connect the Red and Black wires coming from the cell together.. With the Red and Black wires connected the flow light should be green, even if you have no actual flow.. If not, then the cell itself has to be bad. Keep in mind this is just for a test.. Leaving the two wires connected could lead to the cell exploding if run without any water flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Slow,

I doubt that the black wires are due to over current.. My guess would be some kind of corrosion or chemical reaction...

That said, you should be able to clean the wires and then connect the Red and Black wires coming from the cell together.. With the Red and Black wires connected the flow light should be green, even if you have no actual flow.. If not, then the cell itself has to be bad. Keep in mind this is just for a test.. Leaving the two wires connected could lead to the cell exploding if run without any water flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sounds okay, but I've cut up the wires 2 or 3 inches and they're still black. Pentair said chemical chlorine reaction, but am i gonna need to open the cell and clean/replace those whole wires. They said if the cell is on and the pump is not running, gas builds up. But the pool timer provides power to both the pump and the SWG, so one can't run without the other. and I havent had a burned out pump recently. This same system ran my last ic60 for 10 years flawlessly

Slow,

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the cell that you can access or repair...

The black is only on the surface of the wires and should not have an effect on the actual operation of the wires themselves except when trying to solder or make connections.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Slow,

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the cell that you can access or repair...

The black is only on the surface of the wires and should not have an effect on the actual operation of the wires themselves except when trying to solder or make connections.

Thanks,

Jim R.
ok, so red and black coming from the cell-connect them...as a test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like water seeping out of the jacket?

The black oxidation points to a significant problem.

I would ask for a full warranty replacement.

What is the date on the bottom of the cell?

1627942209260.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.