Pentair IC-40 usage hours meter with Easytouch 8

Torrente

Gold Supporter
May 17, 2018
Panama City, Panama
Hello, long time without writing here… It seems that it is a good indicator and how good the TFP method is as I had not any algae/chemistry problem using it in the last 2 years.

I want to check the usage hours in my IC-40, as I can see in the manual it is done pressing MORE button for three (3) seconds until the lights scroll across the unit.

In my case the MORE button does not do anything, I have checked also in the Diagnostics-Intellichlor screen on the Easytouch and I only can see the measured Salt concentration.

I am not having any problem with the SWG and according to my calculations it should still be at around 50% lifetime but I wanted to check it (purchased 2.5 years ago, 13.5 hours pump time at 30%-40%).

Thank you!

As copied from @JamesW ---
Pressing and holding the “More” button launches the System Status Mode. When the lights finish scrolling, the percent lights indicate hours of usage in 1,000s. For example, if the 40% light lights, that indicates 4,000 hours.

Version 3.1 on adds the ability to determine system temperature. Pressing the “More” button after the display shows 1,000s of hours of usage, will show temperature as follows:

Lights…………….....………Temperature
No LEDs………….…..………Below 30F
40%..........................36 to 45F
40% and 60%............46 to 55F
60%..........................56 to 65F
60% and 80%............66 to 75F
80%.........................76 to 85F
80 and 100%............86 to 95F
100%.......................96 to 99F
100% blinking……..….over 99F
All LEDs blinking……...Sensor bad

Press and hold the "More" button until the lights scroll. A percentage light will light up. Note which one.

Then, immediately press and release the "More" button again and note which percentage lights light up.

Be sure the IC is running, not in start up mode.

All lights and systems seems correct (I enclose 2 photos) but when I press and hold MORE there is no difference on any light, anyway I asume it should not be a problem and when the unit will reach 80% lifetime cell light will blink and I will need to replace the cell.

IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG

That is interesting. I thought the older models at least would tell you the hours.

Mine works when I do it. Let's see what @JamesW says.

Take care.

I suspect that the More button just doesn't work anymore.

Possibly a failing control panel.

Since you're controlling it from the EasyTouch, you haven't been using the More or Less buttons to set the production and you wouldn't notice that they don't work.

Last edited:
T,

You have a relatively new cell.. It has readings between 2% and 10% It is the same design as mine...

I have an EasyTouch controlling my cell and when I go out to the cell and push and hold the More button for about 3 to 5 seconds, the output lights flash and then stop showing the usage hours.. In my case the 20% and 40% lights are on meaning 4K hours.. If I release and push the More button again it shows 40 and 60% lights indicating a water temp between 46 and 55 degrees which is spot on..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all for your answers.

Apart from that it is working perfectly and I can live with that. I asume I will notice in around 2 years the blinking light when it will reach the 80% lifetime or I will start to notice inconsistent chlorination.

I asume I will notice in around 2 years the blinking light when it will reach the 80% lifetime or I will start to notice inconsistent chlorination.

The cell is binary - either it generates chlorine or it doesn't. One day it will give you the red Inspect Cell light flashing, stop generating, and need to be replaced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for your answers, for some reason I thought that the cell indicated it when it was reaching the end of lifetime before stop generating.

Regarding the replacement cell, I understand that the IC40 is a good size for my 25k gal pool and asuming that my calculations are correct and my cell would last for around 5 years. Do you think that I should consider to replace it for an IC60 at that time?

No reason not the get the IC60 as a replacement other then the initial cost. It can give you more flexibility in run time and probably last longer.

A few years ago, a TFP expert and I did a cost/benefit analysis, comparing the IC40 and IC60. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to find my old threads. From what I remember: we determined that Pentair pretty much prices these units based on chlorine output. It was something along the lines of: if the IC40 can produce Y amount of chlorine in its lifetime, and the IC60 can produce Z amount, so, say, Z = Y x 1.5, the IC60 would make about 50% more chlorine, but it also costs about 50% more (these are just placeholder numbers, mind you, but the conclusion is the same, the actual chlorine production from either unit will cost you about the same amount). I think the !C60 was a very slightly better bargain, but not by much (thanks for nuttin' Pentair). You can do this math yourself: collect what you can buy each unit for, determine what Pentair says they should produce, and run the numbers.

Allen has pointed out that the IC60 can offer more flexibility in run time. So, for example, you could run your pump for less time per day with a 60 and still put as much chlorine in your pool as a 40 that needs more runtime. So that's a clear advantage. But for my use case, where my runtime is determined by my solar heater, which requires I run my pump for many hours, more than my 40 needs, a 60 would be no benefit for me in terms of runtime.

Still with me? So the only benefit of a 60 for my use case would be its longevity. It should last longer, which means I should be able to replace it less often. A benefit, but a marginal one. BUT, that's if (IF!) the thing lasts for its entire lifespan rating. And that's the rub. I've already had two 40s stop functioning correctly before their time. You, yourself, might be experiencing some sort of premature failure. Like one of mine, yours is still producing chlorine, but it's not doing everything it's supposed to do (mine no longer gives salt readings). ICs don't have a stellar track record in this regard, and have been known to stop working all together. If that happens out of warranty (the several years between when Pentair's warranty expires and the cell's lifespan rating), then you have to replace the unit well before you got what you paid for. And if that happens, and you bought an IC60, then you're going to be out a significantly larger amount.

OK, that was a long way to go. Point was: because I cannot take advantage of the IC60s higher output capability, I don't want to roll the dice on one lasting as long as it should. So for me, the IC40 is a better "gamble." I'd rather have a new one more often. Now if Pentair would warrant these things for the entire lifespan they claim, which they should, this all would be moot, but they don't (as, IMO, they know full well that their ICs are not all that reliable).

Just something to consider...

Last edited:
An IC40 is more appropriate for a 12,300 gallon pool that @Dirk has, and an IC60 is overkill, then the 25,000 gallon pool @Torrente has.

For 12,300 gallons the comparison for the IC20 to the IC40 is the same as for 25,000 gallons the IC40 to the IC60. And @Dirk choose the IC40 and not the IC20.

OK, that was a long way to go. Point was: because I cannot take advantage of the IC60s higher output capability, I don't want to roll the dice on one lasting as long as it should. So for me, the IC40 is a better "gamble." I'd rather have a new one more often. Now if Pentair would warrant these things for the entire lifespan they claim, which they should, this all would be moot, but they don't (as, IMO, they know full well that their ICs are not all that reliable).

No reason not the get the IC60 as a replacement other then the initial cost. It can give you more flexibility in run time and probably last longer.

Thank you for your answers, I was considering both factors. As I prefer to have a long pump running time the $-efficiency seems the only factor. I think I will check the prices when the time is near and if I find a significantly better deal in an IC60 I would go that way, if it is not the case I would go IC40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.