Pentair Heater Help

Looking for help my diagnosing my Pentair MasterTemp heater.

We have a spa/pool combo with the Pentair 4 button spa side controller. All has been working for 10 years. But when the button is pressed at the spa which changes the valves to spa circulate, pump on, heater on, is pressed...the valves rotate, pump turns on but there is nothing responding wit the heater. Normally the heater display would turn on, go through its startup and ignition. But in this case its like the signal is not being sent to the heater to start.

I was thinking it may be the control board on the heater, but get this, I can turn the Pentair EasyTouch Control to Service mode, change the valves to Spa, start the pool pump manually, and then start the heater and the heater starts up and works perfectly.

There are no photos to show other than a heater display that is blank for anyone wanting to see a photo.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem, or suggested method of diagnosing?

29K gal, IG PebbleSheen plaster with raised spa, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater for Spa,
Pentair Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Intellchlor 40 SWG

There is no signal sent to the heater to start.

All the EasyTouch does is close the heater relay on the PCB which closes the 24V firemans switch on the heater and powers the heater controls. That happens whichever way the EasyTouch is told to start the heater.

Other then the 4 button spa control what other control panels do you have for your EasyTouch?

There is no signal sent to the heater to start.

All the EasyTouch does is close the heater relay on the PCB which closes the 24V firemans switch on the heater and powers the heater controls. That happens whichever way the EasyTouch is told to start the heater.

Other then the 4 button spa control what other control panels do you have for your EasyTouch?
No other control panels, just the 4 button spa and the EasyTouch. Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.09.58 AM.png

As you described above, would the either the heater relay on the PCB be at fault? What confuses me is my ability to start the heater in SERVICE mode.

What confuses me is my ability to start the heater in SERVICE mode.

When you start the heater in SERVICE mode you press the heater button circled in red?

And the LED above it goes on?

When you turn the spa on does the heater LED on the outdoor panel go ON?

If you can turn the heater on and off using the button on the OCP then the heater relay on the PCB is good.

I think the heater setting for the SPA on button got changed and your problem is with the EasyTouch programming.

@Jimrahbe @mknauss can help you navigate checking settings from the OCP.

1715970296232.png

See page 44 of the EasyTouch User Guide. It explains setting up the iS4 spa side controller. I would review that first to be sure it is set up correctly.

cg,

I suspect that your Manual Heat option is set to off..

It has to be set to on, so that when you select Spa, the heater automatically comes on, without having to select "heater"...

Menu, Setting, Manual Heat On/Off.

Try that and let me know what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
Wow I really appreciate this forum and those who answer.

After further inspection I noticed when starting the SPA, that the spa temperature on the display was higher than the set temp. The water temp is about 72 and the probe was saying 112. So I must have a bad temperature probe. I've replaced these before and seem to go bad around the 3 year mark.

I guess when going into SERVICE mode, and manually starting the heater, that it bypasses the temp parameters and just starts heating.