Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I noticed my Pentair filter housing had a small drip in the section of the seam on metal bracket that goes around the housing. I removed the bracket, cleaned the filters, clean the O ring which was purchased new a few months ago, cleaned around the housing lid, and the bottom section, rubbed new O ring lube, put everything back together. Bleed the air out until water shot out of the top, then closed the pressure gauge. then, immediately noticed a leak in the same area, faster drip. I tightened the nut further and the dripped slowed, but still a slow drip.

The nut it tight and spring gaps are tight. I can probably tighten the nut more but will I risk damage or breaking the lid housing or the entire housing?

thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
As you were tightening the filter band clamp, were you also tapping the clamp all the way around every few turns of the clamp nut? Doing so helps the the assembly seat better.

If your pic was an 'after cleaning' pic, you may want to consider cleaning it all again.

Hi Provia,
I did not tap the clamp as I was tightening, good to know for the next time. Overnight the leak stopped but I will continue to keep an eye on it.

As for cleaning the exterior of the housing, it never crossed my mind. I do a thorough cleaning of the inside but after seeing the photo I can see I do need to give the exterior a good cleaning as well. Thank you!

You can use a rubber mallet to tap around the band clamp - if you don't have one you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price (store it inside when not using it). For cleaning the exterior - I was more referring to the area around and under the band clamp - in addition to the band clamp itself (inside and outside) .... this will help it seat more evenly and provide a better seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.