Pentair filter cartridge end cap deterioration

kevin.gt

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2020
Atlanta, GA
The blue end caps of my pentair cartridge filters are deteriorating. When cleaning them today, I noticed the rubber is very brittle as well. Pool and filters are 8 months old. Salt water. Is this normal?

Attachments

• E0E34941-20A6-412B-ADBB-50FBE586559D.jpeg
    E0E34941-20A6-412B-ADBB-50FBE586559D.jpeg
    597.5 KB · Views: 40
Fading is one thing, but those look like they have been rode hard for a while. I don't see your Poolmath log linked to your profile to confirm, what have your chemistry levels been like? The only thing that might make sense to me is if the pH was low for a considerable amount of time. But by then, your heater might also show signs of problems.

No. Mine are on their 7th year and honestly, other than being faded, look like new.

I suspect a pH problem.

Kevin,

I have a saltwater pool and a CCP-520 cartridge filter... My cartridges are about 7 years old and I see no sign of any damage..

Is your pump connected to the top or bottom connections on your filter??

What is your normal filter pressure?

Most saltwater pools have pH on the high end, not the low end.. Where do you try to keep your pH??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for quick responses. I’ve had high pH since I started testing myself 7 months ago, often 8.0+ needing muriatic acid about once a week while swg was running. I added 12oz of acid yesterday and just tested 7.6-7.7. I mix the muriatic acid with pool water in bucket, then pour in on opposite side of my skimmers.

My filter end caps were soft and crumbling from the first cleaning I did last year, but I believe they’ve gotten worse. The PB didn’t do much with chemicals to open the pool and I think it was a month or two before I got things right. Maybe damage happened then?

just tested with these results:
TA 80
pH 7.6-7.7
CYA 60 (last time I checked but it’s been awhile and I struggled with that test. I have standard set coming from tftestkits to help)
CH 125 (low I know)
FC 2.5
CC 0

Do you remember what type of start up was used for your pebble finish by the pool builder? Did they do an acid startup?

Do you remember what type of start up was used for your pebble finish by the pool builder? Did they do an acid startup?
The pebble finish was applied and a couple days later they acid washed to remove excessive plaster and expose the pebble. Immediately started filling the pool, scrubbing walls daily with pump running 24/7 for awhile.

Sounds normal.

I agree with Jim. Get some new cartridges. I suspect these were not in great shape when installed new.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something just crossed my mind. My equipment is above water line. I have a very small pressure side leak at my pump that causes me to lose prime when pump is off for hours. At that point the water level in the filter would be low. Could an empty filter tank cause the rubber to deteriorate? How about while chlorine was high after a SLAM?

Kevin,

Most pools have the equipment above the water level... You should find and fix the leak..

You could also put a check valve between the pump and the filter.. This would allow you to open the pump lid without the water in the filter draining back into the pool. It might also keep your pump from draining back into the pool when off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.