Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Does anyone have the Pentair ETi high efficiency heater in their pool or the Pentair Hybrid Dual Fuel Ultratemp unit that uses natural gas and a heat pump? Want to save money heating the pool but don't want to wait super long time for pool to heat up. So many friends say they never use their heater except for the jacuzzi spa because it is expense to heat the pool. So instead of getting a Pentair Mastertemp 400 that these friends all have I am considering the ETi high efficiency or the hybrid dual fuel. Having a hard time deciding.

Welcome to TFP.

ETI does not heat your pool or spa any faster then a MasterTemp heater and costs twice as much. It is about 14% more efficient.

Dual fuel MasterTemp does not save you much over buying a seperate gas heater and heat pump. And if one of them breaks you don't end up replacing both unit.

Do you care about heating your pool or your spa or both?

Do you care more about time to heat to a temperature or saving money with a slow heat rise?

How many gallons in your pool?

Raypak has a Gas Pool Heater Sizer. It tells you the Temperature Rise/Hr and Natural Gas and Propane costs to heat a pool in your local area to selected temperature by month. Adjust the natural gas cost and propane cost in the lower left to your local gas prices for accurate costs.

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator to determine the appropriate size Heat Pump for your location. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

Raypak also has a Heat Pump Heater Sizing App.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh, natural gas price, and propane price to actual prices in your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: RubiconValley
Thanks for the link to the calculator. Your pool looks very beautiful. Just my style of coping and decking. I called up Pentair and the ETi does in fact heat up the pool faster than the Mastertemp. We went through all of the temperature rises for each heater for my sized pool. my pool will be about 20,600 gallons. It is in the shot-crete curing stage currently. I was also informed that since I will have an automatic pool cover that will help conserve heat in the pool and save money. The variable speed motors for the pumps will also help with efficiency. I intend on swimming in the pool from about March - October. That is the goal and use the spa all year around.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.