Pentair Equipment Recommendations Needed

Drewskii

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
South Florida
Please help me determine the best combination of Pentair products, especially the natural gas heater and the variable speed pump, for the following new pool build.

Here is some data: Pool Volume 14,604 gallons

Flow Rates
14,604 Total gallons with 2 Turnovers per day.

24hr/Day run time - Flow Rate (2 Turnovers) - (Gallons 29,208 / Minutes 1440) = GPM 20

20hr/Day run time - Flow Rate (2 Turnovers) - (Gallons 29,208 / Minutes 1200) = GPM 24

16hr/Day run time - Flow Rate (2 Turnovers) - (Gallons 29,208 / Minutes 960) = GPM 30

12hr/Day run time - Flow Rate (2 Turnovers) - (Gallons 29,208 Minutes 720) = GPM 41
Additional information:​
  1. Water feature: 2-12"sheer descent waterfalls. 24" x 1 GPM/inch = 24GPM
  2. Easytouch 8 Controller
  3. Filter: - Clean & Clear CC100 100 sq/in @ .5 GPM = 50 GPM flow rate
  4. Ichlor 30 SWCG
  5. Natural Gas heater: Pentair Mastertemp or Ultratemp? Size?
  6. Pool Pump: -Variable speed- looking for recommendation.
  7. Total Dynamic Head assumption 50 TDH - 60 TDH.
  8. Pool location: Palm Beach County, Florida.

I'm certainly no expert so please feel free to request any other information and/or comment on any aspect of this request.

Thanks in advance for the help.

For a new build I would install the modern IntelliCenter and not a 20 year old EasyTouch system.

I would also install the IntelliChlor IC40 system, which is higher quality then the iChlor, and get it bundled with the IntelliCenter so the Power Center is in the IntelliCenter Load Center cabinet.

Get a larger filter. Florida builders install small filters for some unknown reason. Get a CCP 400-500 filter.

Will you have a spa?

For pump get the Intelliflo3 pump or the IntellifloXF VSF pump.

For heater the MasterTemp 400 if you want a NG heater or the Ultratemp 140 if you want a heat pump.

Last edited:
Intelliflo3 - 011075

IntellifloXF VSF - 022056

Drew,

The idea that you have to have X amount of water "turnovers" per day is a myth and just not true.

When using a VS pump the idea is to run it as slow as you can to accomplish your goal of chlorinating your pool and skimming your pool.

I agree with Allen, that I would go with an IntelliChlor salt cell rather than the iChlor.

The smaller the filter, the harder it is to force water through it. Buy the biggest filter you can afford. CCP-420 or 520.

With a simple pool, the EasyTouch +ScreenLogic will do what you want, but it is kind of like buying an iPhone 1, when for about the same money you could buy an IPhone XX (Whatever # they are today).

The IntelliFlo3 is new but appears to be a step up from the standard IntelliFlo pump, which is already the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps.

Good luck with your new build,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.