Pentair EasyTouch : single-body unit for pool w attached spa?

Feb 7, 2018
Lake Worth, FL
[UPDATE] The Pentair single-body EasyTouch system will operate a spa w 2 valves, see below.

Hi, I have a pool with attached spa, incl. an actuator valve for both inlet and outlet lines. I just replaced my flaky unit with one for single-body systems.

the valves don't move when I hit spa mode on the control panel. (wired remote is not hooked up yet.) the valves work when manually operating the toggle switch on them. I got the single-body system because I did not need new actuators, and the product description said it had 2 valve outputs.

The valve wires are connected to the inlet/outlet valve ports on the control board. Are the valve controls disabled on the control circuit board? or do I have to program something to recognize them?

Also, I have 3 aux circuits on the system (P4), but I'm only using aux1 for lights and aux2 for the air blower. I only need to control 1 valve (inlet), because I always use the return to the spa for the spillway effect. if necessary, could I use aux3 for a single valve actuator, with proper programming? I'd hate to have to buy a new control unit!

Also, is there an overview of the setup programming for an EasyTouch system? I've read the manual, but it's not well-organized. Things like aux, circuit, and feature names and functions are pretty jumbled.

I really just want to run the basic timed pool filter cycle (inlet from drain/skimmer, outlet to spa--this part works fine), plus a spa mode that turns on heat and blower, and switches the inlet actuator valve from pool to spa.

Last edited:
More reading: Can I just connect my 2 valve actuators to the Aux Valve A and B connectors, and program them to activate with spa mode? I'm not sure, but it looks like these 2 valve circuits are the active ones for the single-body control board, and not the main inlet/outlet valve circuits. again, trying to muddle through this.

I'll repeat my request for a user-friendly overview to setup programming for this system. many of the feature distinctions aren't clear (circuit names, functions, features). thx!

Steven,

The single body system is for either a Pool OR a Spa.. To switch between the pool mode and spa mode, you need a dual mode unit that if for a Pool AND Spa.

You can try Configuring the A and B valve to operate in the "Spa" mode, I just don't know if the system will let you do it or not.. Certainly, worth a try.

Do you have ScreenLogic? If so, programming is almost intuitive.

Look at the following page and you can see the relationship between a Circuit, Circuit Name, and Circuit function.

Tell me one thing that you want to program.. Once you can understand one thing, everything else kind of falls into place.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks! just as additional info, the valve button (next to mode button) does turn on the heater and switches to spa mode on the display. I think my issues may be with programming.

As for programming, here's a good start. I have 2 lights in my pool, hooked up to the Aux1 relay. How do I program them as a Lights function? I can turn them on by turning on the Aux1 relay manually (button on the control panel) and setting lights to All On in the menu.

Also, I'm not sure which lights I have, but they are probably 8-9 years old. They look to be multicolored but selecting different colors/modes in the lights menu doesn't change them. I haven't defined the lights yet, have only figured out how to turn them on manually. (I was glad to discover they work at all!)

thanks again!

Steven,

Just to be clear... The relay in the upper left of the cabinet should be the Pump/Filter relay, then comes Aux 1, then Aux 2, then Aux 3

I assume you want the lights to come on via a schedule..

The Circuit is Aux 1
The Circuit Name is whatever you want. You could call it "Steven" if you wanted, but it makes more sense to call it "Lights"
The Circuit Function needs to be the type of light if known.. I suggest that you try "IntelliBrite" and see if that works. It can't hurt anything.

To schedule it, you go into schedule and find "Lights" or whatever the Circuit Name is.. Set a start time and end time..

You will have to do this with the little LCD.. If you had ScreenLogic, you'd have a page like this... I show it as it might help you understand scheduling..

In the same way, you will need to go into "Valves" and assign valve A to "Spa" and Valve "B to Spa".. In theory, whenever the system goes to the Spa mode the valves should move... I am glad to hear that the Spa mode comes on at the display... It will be interesting to see if this also tells valves A and B to move.

You will obviously have to connect to actuators to A and B connections.

It is getting late for me, so ask more questions and I'll try to see them tomorrow..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi, and thanks for the info! was caught up with pre-holiday stuff, back to the pool project now. I'm rewiring the remote today (pulling thru conduit) bc the old wire was just phone cable and it probably went bad. I got direct-bury sprinkler wire to replace it.

yes, Aux1 is lights, aux2 is air blower. something's wired to the aux3 relay but I have no idea what. the valve actuators we're initially connected to the spa ports (which may be deactivated) but I'm switching them to the valve a&b ports. (this should work as the unit description says it does include control for 2 feature valves, which I'll assign to the spa mode.)

spa mode by default activates the heater and I got it to increase the pump speed too. I think i need to assign the blower and valves to spa mode too.

one related question: for the 2 actuated valves, the intake valve clearly switches between pool and spa intake, 180 deg. on/off. (the pool intake has a manual drain/skimmer valve that I keep halfway.) but, the return valve is configured to only turn about 1/8 of a turn. one return pipe goes into the ground, and is either off or half open. the other (which is either fully open or half open depending on actuated valve position) goes to a return pipe that has a clear box section just before it goes in the ground.

what are these 2 returns (and the clear inline box) for? I can't detect any difference when this valve is moved 1/8 turn.

thx! going to hook up the remote and play with programming today. basically, feature names can be anything, but if I assign them (e.g. valves, blower) to the spa function, then they should activate with spa mode?

I'm gonna reread the programming manual too. I wish it had a high-level description of how circuits/functions relate.

p.s. the lights were probably installed about 8-9 years ago. would intellibritev have been around then? should I just try assigning all the bulb types until one shows activity? ('all on' works with the Aux1 relay, but there's no color changing for any of the light modes.)

one related question: for the 2 actuated valves, the intake valve clearly switches between pool and spa intake, 180 deg. on/off. (the pool intake has a manual drain/skimmer valve that I keep halfway.) but, the return valve is configured to only turn about 1/8 of a turn. one return pipe goes into the ground, and is either off or half open. the other (which is either fully open or half open depending on actuated valve position) goes to a return pipe that has a clear box section just before it goes in the ground.

what are these 2 returns (and the clear inline box) for? I can't detect any difference when this valve is moved 1/8 turn.

Steve,

I assume your spa spills over into the pool... For the spa to spillover, some water must be sent to the spa, when in the pool mode. Most pool builders add what is known as a "make-up valve", that sends a little water to the spa, unless in the spa mode. This make-up valve allows you to adjust the amount of spillover. Unfortunately, lazy pool builders just off-set the Return valve to add spillover water to the spa. I would assume that is why the valve only moves a little. It could also be bad, but I doubt it.

The Return valve should have two outputs.. One going to the Pool Returns (eyeballs) in the pool. The other goes to the spa, through the "square box" you see which is most likely a check valve. This check valve keeps the spa water from draining back into the pool, when the pump is off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.