Pentair Easy Touch + ScreenLogic, Controlling fountain pump speed?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hi, I currently have a very old 2HP pump, connected into my Easy Touch panel. The 2HP is dedicated to a fountain going into the pool. At the full 2HP, the water flow is very heavy and I'd like to be able to change how much water is getting pushed into the fountain. My thought was to get a new Intelliflo VSF pump, then use the ScreenLogic app on the phone to select the desired pump speed... some days would like 3k RPM, others perhaps 1k RPM. Is that possible to do in the ScreenLogic app from the phone? Or perhaps there is a roundabout way to program it, e.g., use 2 circuits and have a designated speed assigned to each?

Note that I do have 3 available circuits on my EasyTouch. I also thought about the SuperFlo pump, which had 3 speed settings, but not sure 1.5HP would be enough for when I want it running at full capacity (e.g., current 2HP pump).

Reactions: DavidU
Thanks for the quick replies, here is what I have:

Main Pool Pump: Sta-Rite IntelliPro
Controller: Easy Touch 4 Single body controller with Screenlogic (yes, am currently using this app on the phone)
Lights: 2 Pentair Intellibrite LEDs
Waterfall Pump: Challenger 2HP (current, looking to replace)
Cleaner: Electric/corded Prowler 920
SWG: Intellichlor IC40

Right now my Easy Touch is set up for the main pool pump, the waterfall pump, the lights and the SWG. I went out to check the ET controller to find a more specific model #, but the best I could find was the description on my purchase order with the pool company: "Easy Touch 4 single body controller with screenlogic and IC40 salt cell (solar compatible)". I told them I may decide to add a solar controller later on so wanted to be able to add it in the future (not sure if that helps narrow down what ET model I have... maybe if I pull the main panel cover off the ET I can find a more specific model number.

D,

If you bought a new IntelliFlo, or IntelliPro, VS pump for your waterfall, it would work just like your current IntelliPro.. ScreenLogic would just show two pumps.

The only thing to know is that the new pump needs to have a different "address" so that the RS-485 communications knows which pump is which.

What other questions do you have?

Marty and I want to make sure that you do not have an EasyTouch "lite" Does your main panel look like this at the top? If so, you are good to go..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
D,

If you bought a new IntelliFlo, or IntelliPro, VS pump for your waterfall, it would work just like your current IntelliPro.. ScreenLogic would just show two pumps.

The only thing to know is that the new pump needs to have a different "address" so that the RS-485 communications knows which pump is which.

What other questions do you have?

Marty and I want to make sure that you do not have an EasyTouch "lite" Does your main panel look like this at the top? If so, you are good to go..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. Yes I am pretty sure my ET matches the ET in your picture. Attached is a picture of my main panel. My primary question is if I can somehow control the speed of the new variable speed pump via the ET/Screenlogic app? Optimally, I would like to control the speed of the new variable speed pump (for the waterfall) from the phone. In lieu of "full speed control" for every RPM possible, I could probably do fine with 2-3 speeds at pre-selected RPMs, e.g., a slow speed for when we want to talk near the waterfall and a fast speed to drown out background noise. Wasn't sure if this was possible directly in the app or maybe some sort of workaround approach via the ET controller (e.g., maybe a circuit "A" could be programmed for the waterfall pump at RPM 1000 and a circuit "B" could be programmed for the waterfall pump at RPM 2,500 --- just a random example, not at all sure if feasible).

I ask because I currently don't see a way to easily change the speed of my existing variable speed pump that runs the main pool.

20220322_144113.jpg

You will create Feature Circuits. Jim has screen shots of Screenlogic setup he will post. What you want is no issue. You can schedule them or just turn them on via Screenlogic. You can set Egg Timers for them so they do not run a full 12 hours if you forget to turn them off.

D,

IntelliFlo pump speeds are based on the "Circuit" that is on.. Here is my setup page for reference. You can see that in the pool mode the pump runs at about 1200 RPM, if I turn on Skim Low, the pump runs at 1500 RPM, if I turn on Skim High that the pump runs at 2000 RPM and when the Waterfall circuit turns on the pump runs at 2800 RPM..

Your current IntelliFlo should be controlled the same way, and if you install a second IntelliFlo, then you will have a second page of pump speeds for the new pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I ask because I currently don't see a way to easily change the speed of my existing variable speed pump that runs the main pool.
In Screenlogic, select Pumps, the Intelliflo. You can then change the RPM for the pump for each Feature it is set up for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D,

I use my PC because it has much better displays for programming.

In your case, I suspect that you are missing the SL Config app, which allows you to use your phone to set up the IntelliFlo operations.

Thanks,

Jim R.

In Screenlogic, select Pumps, the Intelliflo. You can then change the RPM for the pump for each Feature it is set up for.
One final question, a pool builder recently resurfaced our pool and also had them do the install for the EasyTouch and IC40 cell. They originally quoted me to swap out the existing 2HP Challenger waterfall pump (super old but still works). When they did the quote, they quoted for a 1.5HP Superflo. They are highly competent builders and did a great job with the equipment install so I trust they gave it some thought to quote a slightly less powerful pump for our waterfall. The current 2HP Challenger waterfall pump is loud, and for this very reason we want to replace with a variable speed pump to lower the flow/noise when we want to talk (and ramp it back up when we want it loud to drown out background noise from a nearby street), therefore I "feel" like the 1.5HP should be sufficient.

The reason I am asking about it here is because I likely will install this pump myself (I didn't want to waste the pool builder time in coming back out to justify the 1.5HP recommendation if I am going to DIY). I installed a previous Intelliflo at our old house/pool so it won't be my first time (I am competent with the plumbing set up). And I think I can figure out the EasyTouch based on competency with prior electrical and software work.

1 - Any reason to doubt the pool builder recommendation on the 1.5HP Superflo? Anything I'm missing from a modern equipment perspective, e.g., the newer 1.5HP Superflo will actually produce the same flow rate as the 20 year old single speed 2HP Challenger.
2 - Seems like the 1.5HP Superflo could work if I am comfortable with 1.5HP max? It looks to have 3 speeds, which would be perfect for us, I wouldn't want to program more then 3 speeds. And can also be easily set up and programmed with 3 speeds on the EasyTouch (like the Intelliflo discussed above)?

Anything else I might be missing? Thanks again!

Last edited:
e.g., the newer 1.5HP Superflo will actually produce the same flow rate as the 20 year old single speed 2HP Challenger.
Not as much flow, but likely close. Do you have a valve after the pump to the waterfall? You can close that valve a little to restrict the flow and see if a lesser flow is an issue.

And can also be easily set up and programmed with 3 speeds on the EasyTouch (like the Intelliflo discussed above)?
You must be sure to get the correct Superflo VS. The newer models have RS485 capability and can be controlled by the ET. You will need a cord to do that, and that cord has been known to be hard to find.
They show having the pump in stock, but not the cord. I would call them and talk to them to be sure you get what you want.

Not as much flow, but likely close. Do you have a valve after the pump to the waterfall? You can close that valve a little to restrict the flow and see if a lesser flow is an issue.

You must be sure to get the correct Superflo VS. The newer models have RS485 capability and can be controlled by the ET. You will need a cord to do that, and that cord has been known to be hard to find.
They show having the pump in stock, but not the cord. I would call them and talk to them to be sure you get what you want.
Got it, again, huge thanks, very helpful. I do have a valve after the waterfall. We tested some lower flow rates to confirm a heavier flow reduction, like 50-75%, but great suggestion to back it off... say 20%? to see how it sounds. And yes will give a few places a call to either source the cord in advance or just go with the Intelliflo (I now see that specific comm cable for the Superflo).

Reactions: DavidU
D,

My thought is that you will have to run the SuperFlo VS much faster than an IntelliFlo VS to move the same amount of water. The slower it runs the less noise there will be.

I know the SuperFlo is cheaper, but if the pump lasts 10 years how much cheaper will it be per year?

Thanks,

Jim R.

D,

If you install the IntelliFlo with pump unions. like you should, if later on your main pump fails, you can always move the waterfall pump over to the main pump position and keep the pool running, if you don't want to spend the money on a new pump right away. It is always nice to have a "spare".. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: delirium330
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.