Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
There has been some discussion on some of the automation threads regarding the topic of how to capture and color hold or color lock) a particular “non-standard” color that can be seen in the various light shows that are featured with Pentair color LED lighting products but are not available as a fixed/solid color.

I have done some research (and experimentation) regarding this issue and I thought I might elaborate (preferably without bloviating), just a bit on the topic.

In addition, the J&J Electronics Color Splash® LED color lighting products, emulates the Pentair lighting product features and is completely compatible with the Pentair Automation Systems (EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or IntelliCenter), so the J&J Electronics Color Splash® lights are also included in this discussion.

I will not address the Pentair IntelliBrite® Controller or the J&J Electronics Color Splash® Controller, as only a few users possess and use these controllers and if they do, the Hold & Recall (Pentair) or ColorLock/Return (J&J) features are just way too easy to manipulate. The operation steps that I am addressing below are applicable if a user incorporates a either a simple single-pole light switch or a Pentair Automation System as their lighting off/on devices.

For purposes of brevity, when I refer to Pentair lighting, the following Pentair light products are included in this discussion and all work in exactly the same manner.
IntelliBrite® 5G LED Color-Changing Lights​
MicroBrite® LED Color-Changing Lights​
GloBrite® LED Color-Changing Lights​
ColorVision® LED Color-Changing Lights​
MagicStream® Laminars​
IntelliBrite 5G® Outdoor Landscape LED Color-Changing Lights​

The following steps are necessary in order to capture, hold and maintain a particular “non-standard” color that is observed during any light show but are not featured in the five (5) fixed/solid standard colors.

1. Navigate to the particular light show that incorporates the particular non-standard color that you want to color hold/color lock. It is recommend that you use one of the light shows that are NOT rapid and instead, move slowly through the various color transistions. The following light shows will work accordingly.​

Pentair: 1. “Sam Mode” 3. “Romance Mode”, 4. “Caribbean Mode”, 5. “American Mode”, 6. “California Sunset”.​
J&J Electronics: 1. “Peruvian Paradise” 3. “Northern Lights”, 4. “Tidal Wave”, 5. “Patriot Dream”, 6. “Desert Skies”.​
NOTE: During my testing, I found number 1. or number 3., worked the best for me.​
2. Once the light show transitions to the color that you prefer, begin to power cycle (Off/On) the switch (or button), thirteen (13) times. This can be done at a single-pole light switch or at the automation control panel as applicable.​
3. Wait approximately 10 seconds or longer. The color that you selected should still be visible.​
4. If the light color that is now displayed, is in fact, the color that you want to save, then perform the power cycle fourteen (14) times. That will hold/color lock that color.​
5. Again, wait approximately 10 seconds or longer and turn the light off.​
6. Wait approximately 10 seconds or longer and turn the light on. Your preferred color will now be on and will always be that color every time you turn your light on manually or through your automation system.​

I Hope the above information helps to clear up the Color Hold/Recall (Pentair) or Color Lock/Return (J&J) capabilities, limitations and procedures.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunsetseeker
SPenfold
So the acronym SAm is actually an old school holdover from Pentair that stood for Spectrum Amerilite. It was the worlds first submersible color changing light for swimming pools.
Why Pentair continues to use the acronym is a bit puzzling to me anyway.
When Pentair uses that term now, I believe that it just means "color changing". Maybe someone else has additional information on this as I can't seem to find any on the topic.
So the SAm mode when used today, just indicates a mode that cycles through white, magenta, blue and green colors which emulates the older Pentair Spectrum Amerilite (SAm) color changing light.
If your light was purchased last year AND it is one of the Pentair models listed above in post #1, it actually does have the SAm Mode (number #1 mode) which will cycle through white, magenta, blue and green colors.
Please tell me the exact model of the Pentair light that you have.
r.

Last edited:
I have SAm light from 2002. This year the motor stopped working and it's stuck on green which sucks. Now I can't decide If I should replace it as I only use it maybe once or twice a year. If I do I will get the Amerilight and a Pureline bulb.

I have SAm light from 2002. This year the motor stopped working and it's stuck on green which sucks. Now I can't decide If I should replace it as I only use it maybe once or twice a year. If I do I will get the Amerilight and a Pureline bulb.
avspin
Thanks for the input. So no IntelliBrite 5G or better still, the J&J Electronics Color Splash in your future?
r.

No on the the IntlliBrite. Too many bad reviews and high cost to buy and replace when the light engine goes bad. Also no warranty since I will install myself. I didn't like the bulbs on amazon and liked that the Pureline had a 2 year warranty. I didn't see the J&J and need to look closer at it. I see it has a 3 year warranty. To me, a company that stands behind a bulb that long says a lot.

No on the the IntlliBrite. Too many bad reviews and high cost to buy and replace when the light engine goes bad. Also no warranty since I will install myself. I didn't like the bulbs on amazon and liked that the Pureline had a 2 year warranty. I didn't see the J&J and need to look closer at it. I see it has a 3 year warranty. To me, a company that stands behind a bulb that long says a lot.
avspin
I couldn't agree more on all accounts. Your points are the exact reason that I have a J&J Electronics in the water instead of Pentair. I am high on Pentair on many levels but not on their lights.
I have not had one problem from the J&J in a year. So far it's exceeded my expectations. Let's hope I can say that in 2.9 years :p. And if not, I guess I get a new light from them.
Thanks much and a happy 4th.
r.

I have 3 SAm lights and im going the Sunseeker route. Pretty sad that no one makes a reliable LED the days

Reactions: MyAZPool
There has been some discussion on some of the automation threads regarding the topic of how to capture and color hold or color lock) a particular “non-standard” color that can be seen in the various light shows that are featured with Pentair color LED lighting products but are not available as a fixed/solid color.

I have done some research (and experimentation) regarding this issue and I thought I might elaborate (preferably without bloviating), just a bit on the topic.

In addition, the J&J Electronics Color Splash® LED color lighting products, emulates the Pentair lighting product features and is completely compatible with the Pentair Automation Systems (EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or IntelliCenter), so the J&J Electronics Color Splash® lights are also included in this discussion.

I will not address the IntelliBrite® Controller or the J&J Electronics Color Splash® Controller, as only a few users possess and use these controllers and if they do, the Hold & Recall (Pentair) or ColorLock/Return (J&J) features are just way too easy to manipulate. The operation steps that I am addressing below are applicable if a user incorporates a either a simple single-pole light switch or a Pentair Automation System as their lighting off/on devices.

For purposes of brevity, when I refer to Pentair lighting, the following Pentair light products are included in this discussion and all work in exactly the same manner.
IntelliBrite® 5G LED Color-Changing Lights​
MicroBrite® LED Color-Changing Lights​
GloBrite® LED Color-Changing Lights​
ColorVision® LED Color-Changing Lights​
MagicStream® Laminars​
IntelliBrite 5G® Outdoor Landscape LED Color-Changing Lights​

The following steps are necessary in order to capture, hold and maintain a particular “non-standard” color that is observed during any light show but are not featured in the five (5) fixed/solid standard colors.

1. Navigate to the particular light show that incorporates the particular non-standard color that you want to color hold/color lock. It is recommend that you use one of the light shows that are NOT rapid and instead, move slowly through the various color transistions. The following light shows will work accordingly.​

Pentair: 1. “Sam Mode” 3. “Romance Mode”, 4. “Caribbean Mode”, 5. “American Mode”, 6. “California Sunset”.​
J&J Electronics: 1. “Peruvian Paradise” 3. “Northern Lights”, 4. “Tidal Wave”, 5. “Patriot Dream”, 6. “Desert Skies”.​
NOTE: During my testing, I found number 1. or number 3., worked the best for me.​
2. Once the light show transitions to the color that you prefer, begin to power cycle (Off/On) the switch (or button), thirteen (13) times. This can be done at a single-pole light switch or at the automation control panel as applicable.​
3. Wait approximately 10 seconds or longer. The color that you selected should still be visible.​
4. If the light color that is now displayed, is in fact, the color that you want to save, then perform the power cycle fourteen (14) times. That will hold/color lock that color.​
5. Again, wait approximately 10 seconds or longer and turn the light off.​
6. Wait approximately 10 seconds or longer and turn the light on. Your preferred color will now be on and will always be that color every time you turn your light on manually or through your automation system.​

I Hope the above information helps to clear up the Color Hold/Recall (Pentair) or Color Lock/Return (J&J) capabilities, limitations and procedures.
r.
View attachment 109390
You forgot to put your forehead on a bat and spin 25 times with your tongue sticking out... the most advanced automation system and you have to sit there and count how many times you cycle a switch?

You forgot to put your forehead on a bat and spin 25 times with your tongue sticking out... the most advanced automation system and you have to sit there and count how many times you cycle a switch?
bdavis466
:laughblue: Outstanding point and you sure won't get an argument out of me on it. What would be so hard about designing two virtual buttons in the IntelliCenter Lighting Control pages somewhere?
One labeled "Color Hold" that turns a particular light off/on 13 times.
Another labeled "Color Lock" that turns a particular light off/on 14 times.

I think I'm adding this to my IntelliCenter "Punch/Dream" list. Maybe some of those really smart guys (one of them NOT being me :p) on the IntelliCenter Home Automation Integration and Control, will eventually write a script that will do just that, if Pentair refuses to get creative.
Thanks much and a happy 4th to you and the family....
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdavis466

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So with the sale at Pool Supply World of $140 for the bulb + SPLASH-5 for another $5 off I bought the J&J bulb.
Also with the 15% off coupon on ebay today I bought (also happens to be Pool Supply World) the Amerlite 78448100.
So under $300 for a new LED light & fixture.
Note the Amerlite 400w is cheaper than the 300w. I don't know why but it's the exact same fixture for both.
Thanks for the push.

Reactions: bdavis466
So with the sale at Pool Supply World of $140 for the bulb + SPLASH-5 for another $5 off I bought the J&J bulb.
Also with the 15% off coupon on ebay today I bought (also happens to be Pool Supply World) the Amerlite 78448100.
So under $300 for a new LED light & fixture.
Note the Amerlite 400w is cheaper than the 300w. I don't know why but it's the exact same fixture for both.
Thanks for the push.
avspin
I must say I have no experience with the "SPLASH-5". I tried to look it up at Pool Supply World but no luck. I can only assume that you are buying a J&J Color Changing bulb and then an Amerilite fixture.
I'm wishing you all the best with this and hopefully it solves your pool light issues.
r.

SPenfold
So the acronym SAm is actually an old school holdover from Pentair that stood for Spectrum Amerilite. It was the worlds first submersible color changing light for swimming pools.
Why Pentair continues to use the acronym is a bit puzzling to me anyway.
When Pentair uses that term now, I believe that it just means "color changing". Maybe someone else has additional information on this as I can't seem to find any on the topic.
So the SAm mode when used today, just indicates a mode that cycles through white, magenta, blue and green colors which emulates the older Pentair Spectrum Amerilite (SAm) color changing light.
If your light was purchased last year AND it is one of the Pentair models listed above in post #1, it actually does have the SAm Mode (number #1 mode) which will cycle through white, magenta, blue and green colors.
Please tell me the exact model of the Pentair light that you have.
r.
Hi,
KIMG0145.JPG
I did notice this evening SAm is #1 when accessing the lights from the Intellicenter, just not via the Android app.
Screenshot_20190703-102424.png

Last edited:
SPenfold
Agreed,
Same with iOS. So no SAm mode on the mobile devices for some reason. Hmmm :unsure:. Oh well, I don't use that light show anyway, so its "off-my-radar" :)

r.

Last edited:
This post is an addendum to Post #1 of this thread.
This addendum is applicable to the procedures necessary to take advantage of Pentair Lighting - Color Hold/Recall / J&J Electronics - Color Lock/Return features when integrated with the Pentair IntelliCenter automation system.

NOTE: I have no experience with the Pentair IntelliTouch or EasyTouch automation systems, so I do not know if these same procedures are applicable to those Pentair automation systems or not. If anyone knows whether the IntelliTouch or EasyTouch also has this feature, please contribute your experiences.

Upon further experimentation this evening, I actually stumbled upon the actual Hold and Recall buttons on the IntelliCenter. It's kind of "hidden" in the lighting menus. It also should be noted that I have extensively searched the IntelliCenter User's Guide, IntelliCenter Installation Guide and the IntelliCenter Quick Reference Guide. There is absolutely NO reference to the Pentair Lighting Hold/Recall feature, yet there it is, hidden in the IntelliCenter lighting menus. :mad:

The following steps outline the procedures to utilize the Pentair Lighting Hold and Recall features with the IntelliCenter.
NOTE: These procedures can only be accomplished at the IntelliCenter Control Panel. These procedures are not available on the Web-Client or the iOS app at this time anyway.

1. From the home screen, tap the Lights button.​
2. From the Lights screen, tap the Four Color Dots Edit Button. 110198
3. Tap the Light Shows button.​
4. Select a slow-moving light show (as explained in Post #1 of this thread.​
5. Once the preferred light show is running, tap the Gears icon.110199 This action will take you to the Pentair Lighting Light Hold/Recall screen (as illustrated).​
6. Observe the light show, when the color that you prefer to save is observed, then immediately tap the Hold button and then the checkmark icon.​
7. The light will be turned off and then the system will turn the light relay On/Off thirteen (13) times.​
8. Then navigate back to the Pool Light Light Hold/Recall screen. Now tap the Recall button and then the checkmark icon. The system will turn the light relay On/Off fourteen (14) times which will recall the color that you selected.​

NOTE: There is a major limitation with this whole lighting Hold/Recall feature as it pertains to the IntelliCenter. When you turn the light off and then it is turned back on either manually or by a schedule later, the light color will not automatically go back to your saved color. You MUST go to the control panel, navigate back to the Pool Light Light Hold/Recall screen and then tap the Recall and tap the checkmark. Then the color will revert to your saved color. In my opinion, these extra steps required at the control panel and the fact that you can not recall your saved color from at least a mobile app, are ridiculous. I have already called Pentair Technical Support and I have received a case # on this issue. If I don't hear back from them, I will continue to follow up to see if we can get this oversight fixed in a future update.
r.

bdavis466
Although far from perfect, I guess this "discovery" makes it a little bit better as far as the automation is concerned. :)
r.

UPDATE: 7/13/19 It appears now that there will be a future firmware release that will fix the issue that I noted above.

Last edited:
Update.
Some more delving into this issue, I have discovered a couple of additional anomalies that now leads me to believe that there is certainly a programming error or oversight that was not fully tested regarding the IntelliBrite lighting Hold/Recall feature on the IntelliCenter.
1. I noticed in the LIGHTS menu on the Web-Client, that "13" (Hold) is shown in the color button. That would make sense (but really it should show a "14" (Recall). But when you click it, all you get is the pull-down menu that shows the fixed (standard) colors and the light shows. It should allow you to click that button and allow you to revert back to your saved "non-standard" color. but it doesn't. Grrrrr

2. Pretty much the same thing with the iOS app, but no number is shown and when you tap the button nothing happens. ?

Like I said above, I've got a case# created for this mess, so hopefully I will hear back from them soon and I will be sure to relay these two side issues to Pentair as well.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: bratliff1
Update.
Some more delving into this issue, I have discovered a couple of additional anomalies that now leads me to believe that there is certainly a programming error or oversight that was not fully tested regarding the IntelliBrite lighting Hold/Recall feature on the IntelliCenter.
1. I noticed in the LIGHTS menu on the Web-Client, that "13" (Hold) is shown in the color button. That would make sense (but really it should show a "14" (Recall). But when you click it, all you get is the pull-down menu that shows the fixed (standard) colors and the light shows. It should allow you to click that button and allow you to revert back to your saved "non-standard" color. but it doesn't. Grrrrr
View attachment 110539

2. Pretty much the same thing with the iOS app, but no number is shown and when you tap the button nothing happens. ?
View attachment 110540

Like I said above, I've got a case# created for this mess, so hopefully I will hear back from them soon and I will be sure to relay these two side issues to Pentair as well.
r.
[/QUOT
Update.
View attachment 110539

View attachment 110540

r.
Would love to know what you find out on this. I just emailed Pentair Tech support last night on this very topic and am now researching the forum threads. Glad I am not the only one!

have you made any progress on this issue? I really appreciate your input and the time you've taken to document the usage of the pentair software with the J&J bulb. I have recently come upon a similar situation.

I do not understand why they can't just give you a color wheel and a few slide shows? It's an RGB bulb, it should be able to give you any color of the rainbow, and with W included an even larger spectrum. The software is weak. I want a color wheel, and I want to be able to drag colors into my own slideshow. Is that really that difficult to implement? It's like we are stuck in 1980...

I have pentair and what I've noticed is that if I set it to a color before I turn the bulb on, I can get it to stay in that color mode the next time I turn it on from the app/computer. My big issue, and added challenge that may not apply to anyone else on the planet, is that I have the 4 buttons on the wall that turn on and off the lights. Whenever I return to the wall and click the button, it starts in the mode called "peruvian paradise" or "party"!!! It's not a terrible mode, but I don't want it to always start there. You also can't cycle from the buttons or they disable themselves. It seems like the color hold, or lock, or recall, whatever they are, none of them do much of anything. I haven't had luck getting this to work as intended. It's a lot of button pressing for a very simple, and nonexistent, result. I contacted the manufacturers but I haven't heard anything back. Hopefully, I get it handled someday.

If anyone knows anything that can help me. Please let me know :unsure:

I will say though, your software looks a little better than mine.
Take a look-see at what I've got going on:
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.13.38 AM.png

Reactions: cmiller73

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.