Pentair - Color Hold/Recall / J&J Electronics - Color Lock/Return

This post is an addendum to Post #1 of this thread.
This addendum is applicable to the procedures necessary to take advantage of Pentair Lighting - Color Hold/Recall / J&J Electronics - Color Lock/Return features when integrated with the Pentair IntelliCenter automation system.

NOTE: I have no experience with the Pentair IntelliTouch or EasyTouch automation systems, so I do not know if these same procedures are applicable to those Pentair automation systems or not. If anyone knows whether the IntelliTouch or EasyTouch also has this feature, please contribute your experiences.

Upon further experimentation this evening, I actually stumbled upon the actual Hold and Recall buttons on the IntelliCenter. It's kind of "hidden" in the lighting menus. It also should be noted that I have extensively searched the IntelliCenter User's Guide, IntelliCenter Installation Guide and the IntelliCenter Quick Reference Guide. There is absolutely NO reference to the Pentair Lighting Hold/Recall feature, yet there it is, hidden in the IntelliCenter lighting menus. :mad:

The following steps outline the procedures to utilize the Pentair Lighting Hold and Recall features with the IntelliCenter.
NOTE: These procedures can only be accomplished at the IntelliCenter Control Panel. These procedures are not available on the Web-Client or the iOS app at this time anyway.

1. From the home screen, tap the Lights button.​
2. From the Lights screen, tap the Four Color Dots Edit Button. View attachment 110198
3. Tap the Light Shows button.​
4. Select a slow-moving light show (as explained in Post #1 of this thread.​
5. Once the preferred light show is running, tap the Gears icon.View attachment 110199 This action will take you to the Pentair Lighting Light Hold/Recall screen (as illustrated).​
6. Observe the light show, when the color that you prefer to save is observed, then immediately tap the Hold button and then the checkmark icon.​
7. The light will be turned off and then the system will turn the light relay On/Off thirteen (13) times.​
8. Then navigate back to the Pool Light Light Hold/Recall screen. Now tap the Recall button and then the checkmark icon. The system will turn the light relay On/Off fourteen (14) times which will recall the color that you selected.​

NOTE: There is a major limitation with this whole lighting Hold/Recall feature as it pertains to the IntelliCenter. When you turn the light off and then it is turned back on either manually or by a schedule later, the light color will not automatically go back to your saved color. You MUST go to the control panel, navigate back to the Pool Light Light Hold/Recall screen and then tap the Recall and tap the checkmark. Then the color will revert to your saved color. In my opinion, these extra steps required at the control panel and the fact that you can not recall your saved color from at least a mobile app, are ridiculous. I have already called Pentair Technical Support and I have received a case # on this issue. If I don't hear back from them, I will continue to follow up to see if we can get this oversight fixed in a future update.
r.

bdavis466
Although far from perfect, I guess this "discovery" makes it a little bit better as far as the automation is concerned. :)
r.

UPDATE: 7/13/19 It appears now that there will be a future firmware release that will fix the issue that I noted above.

Almost a year later, I haven't seen this update. Any word from Pentair in your meetings with them? This has to be the most frustrating part of my system..

Almost a year later, I haven't seen this update. Any word from Pentair in your meetings with them? This has to be the most frustrating part of my system..
I have a conference call with them tomorrow. We'll see where that goes. This issue is on the topics list.
r.

Any luck? They are so far behind when it comes to this. Heck, even dirt cheap lights now can be controlled from a mobile for 1000s of colors. And my high end pool lights are limited somehow...
Arghh
I apologize for not getting back with you. I got so many "dogs in this fight", that I loose track of one or two on occasion.

So... The issue was in fact brought up by me (its on the "growing" list). They are aware of it and in their words not mine: "It is on the radar".
I apologize also for not being able to do more. I can only try to get them to listen to us. Complaining to anyone above the level of the Tech Support folks is the only way.
The ole "squeaky wheel" concept. ;)

I will be happy to help in any way I can, but I can't "force them" to make changes... They will need influence from much higher in the Pentair food chain I believe, before real improvements/fixes will be implemented.

Sorry I couldn't provide better news. Please take care, stay safe and let me know any thoughts that you might have on this..
r.

Reactions: bdavis466
Arghh
I apologize for not getting back with you. I got so many "dogs in this fight", that I loose track of one or two on occasion.

So... The issue was in fact brought up by me (its on the "growing" list). They are aware of it and in their words not mine: "It is on the radar".
I apologize also for not being able to do more. I can only try to get them to listen to us. Complaining to anyone above the level of the Tech Support folks is the only way.
The ole "squeaky wheel" concept. ;)

I will be happy to help in any way I can, but I can't "force them" to make changes... They will need influence from much higher in the Pentair food chain I believe, before real improvements/fixes will be implemented.

Sorry I couldn't provide better news. Please take care, stay safe and let me know any thoughts that you might have on this..
r.
No worries at all!! This isn't your issue, its theirs. I really am not even sure I would recommend intellicenter anymore, basic functionality that should be available day 1, isn't there and they don't seem to update at a reasonable pace at all. Two friends just got pools, and I was hesitant to even come close to say intellicenter is a good solution. I was embarrassed when I had to show light colors and had to go inside to do anything but 5 colors they have. He was blown away that a brand new pool has less functionality then 5$ light bulbs from Costco.

No worries at all!! This isn't your issue, its theirs. I really am not even sure I would recommend intellicenter anymore, basic functionality that should be available day 1, isn't there and they don't seem to update at a reasonable pace at all. Two friends just got pools, and I was hesitant to even come close to say intellicenter is a good solution. I was embarrassed when I had to show light colors and had to go inside to do anything but 5 colors they have. He was blown away that a brand new pool has less functionality then 5$ light bulbs from Costco.
@Arghh
I hear you. I really do. And I couldn't agree more.
So, here is what I would tell any dissatisfied IntelliCenter owner at this point.

1. Take comments like this and start posting to Pentair's Facebook page. Of all of the venues that I have tried in order go get them to listen, this outlet seemed to garner the biggest response. Has it had a overwhelming positive effect? No, but at least it has resulted in some enhanced effort I believe. The ability to public shame them online and possibly affect their bottom line has garnered a response from them.

2. Start contacting middle and upper management at Pentair Pools or contact the Pentair Corporate Officers. The more IntelliCenter owner/users that do, the more effect that it will have I believe. You can find them online and you can even find their email addresses. It's "Open Source" information available on the internet. Corporate Officers are accountable to their shareholders and to their consumers.

3. Start posting on "Consumer Complaint Websites". Again, there is power in numbers.

However, here is what I would recommend when writing or telephonically contacting Pentair management and corporate officers or when writing complaints online.

1. Keep it professional and be respectful.
2. Try to keep the emotions out of it the best you can.
3. Your goal should be to get them have compassion for you and not to alienate them. Try to get them to understand that if serious action to correct these issues are not implemented, that it could negatively impact future sales. The pool automation business is competitive and they know that Hayward and Jandy are watching and listening.

So, that is about all that I have. The louder the voice, the better they will hear us is I guess, what I am trying to say.

Thanks for your comments. I concur and sympathize as I am in the same boat as well. ;)

Take care and stay safe.
r.

Hey @MyAZPool - Happy New Year! Any update on this? I had my builder return the Intellibright 5-Gs he had and plan to either go with J&J or FL Sunseeker so I don’t have to replace them so often. Am I reading this correctly that you can get IntelliCenter to control the off-brand lights, but the colors may not match up? Not entirely sure I followed that correctly. Any suggestions on J&J vs FL Sunseeker?

Hey @MyAZPool - Happy New Year! Any update on this? I had my builder return the Intellibright 5-Gs he had and plan to either go with J&J or FL Sunseeker so I don’t have to replace them so often. Am I reading this correctly that you can get IntelliCenter to control the off-brand lights, but the colors may not match up? Not entirely sure I followed that correctly. Any suggestions on J&J vs FL Sunseeker?
@wgipe
Happy New Year to you as well.
1. The J&J lighting IS compatible with Pentair Automation Systems. They have different names for their colors and light shows but same-same...
Here is the comparison chart.
2021-01-08_17-58-01.jpg
I really can't tell you about the Florida Sunseeker as I have no experience with that. You will need to try and do some comparison research on the internet or call their custom support line and pose some pre-sales questions to them. When comparing J&J to Florida Sunseeker, I would certainly compare warranties.

I have had my J&J Color Splash XG LED's for nearly 3 years now (that is the warranty period). I haven't had even one issue. All the LED's are still on.

I will tell you this and you can judge for yourself.
My J&J runs approximately 6 hours a day/365 days a year. Given that fact, I have approximately 6,570 hours on the LED's and board and not one problem yet. 🤞

Now watch, in a week, they'll make a liar out of me. :p

Hope that helps...
r...

@wgipe
Happy New Year to you as well.
1. The J&J lighting IS compatible with Pentair Automation Systems. They have different names for their colors and light shows but same-same...
Here is the comparison chart.
View attachment 172468
I really can't tell you about the Florida Sunseeker as I have no experience with that. You will need to try and do some comparison research on the internet or call their custom support line and pose some pre-sales questions to them. When comparing J&J to Florida Sunseeker, I would certainly compare warranties.

I have had my J&J Color Splash XG LED's for nearly 3 years now (that is the warranty period). I haven't had even one issue. All the LED's are still on.

I will tell you this and you can judge for yourself.
My J&J runs approximately 6 hours a day/365 days a year. Given that fact, I have approximately 6,570 hours on the LED's and board and not one problem yet. 🤞

Now watch, in a week, they'll make a liar out of me. :p

Hope that helps...
r...
Fantastic. Thanks much for the update. I was leaning toward the J & J because the new version has dedicated white LEDs in addition to the RGBs. This makes them approximately twice as bright on the white setting. I do have a ticket in with Sunseeker and will update here when I get some more info as you suggest.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I really can't tell you about the Florida Sunseeker as I have no experience with that. You will need to try and do some comparison research on the internet or call their custom support line and pose some pre-sales questions to them.

Put in a ticket with FL Sunseeker. The email they sent back quotes "Our lights do not sync with Pentair programing. Meaning that color selection will not be the same. They control the same way if you are referring to a toggle where you turn the power on/off. "

Basically - they have more light shows, so nothing lines up so far as colors or scenes are concerned - no automation control.

Just ordered two J&J Electronics ColorSplash XG-W Series RGB + White LED Pool Light Fixture | 12V 100' Cord | LPL-F2CW-12-100-P.

Thanks again for the help.

W

• Love
Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am a bit confused on this recall function. I am not clear on what it does.

I have my lights set to "romance" mode and never change it. When the timer turns them on, it clicks several times to make sure its in romance mode. Does this harm anything by repeatedly switching like this? Seems like excessive wear on some component.

If it just turns on, it should remember it was set to "roamnce" mode without having to that every time the lights come on

I am a bit confused on this recall function. I am not clear on what it does.

I have my lights set to "romance" mode and never change it. When the timer turns them on, it clicks several times to make sure its in romance mode. Does this harm anything by repeatedly switching like this? Seems like excessive wear on some component.

If it just turns on, it should remember it was set to "roamnce" mode without having to that every time the lights come on
That's exactly how it works. It "clicks" as you put it, to get to the color that you have set it to recall every time it turns on.
It's working properly. Mine does the same.
It's an extremely "archaic" method of switching colors IMHO. Somewhere around 1990's technology I would guess and that's being kind. :p
r.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.