Pentair chlorine generator led question

Nov 27, 2018
airzona
I have a question concerning my pentair chlorine generator. The salt level LEDs are both flashing. The green led is flashing indicating high salt yet the red led is flashing indicating low salt. We have three generators on the pool, all have been cleaned lately and all have the same status LEDs lit up. I went to the pool store and the old guy that was working is new and had no idea what i was talking about and then i called another location and i dont think they understood my question.

When my salt levels got checked they were a little low ~3000 and even though its winter our pool is heated to 82. I just want to know if both LEDs are flashing if i should raise or lower the salt level in the pool.

The LEDs flash during startup to indicate that they have not made a salinity test yet.

Once flow is detected, the LEDs should stop flashing in about 30 seconds to a minute.

If they continue to flash, it usually means that the flow switch is not detecting flow.

Are you getting a green flow light?

If not, the flow is too low or the flow switch is bad.

Is the "Cold Water" light on?

Yes it is a commercial pool. Ill read Pool School and update my signature. It is a 25,000 heated pool.

The status LEDs are:

Salt level
Good-Green flashing
Low-Red flashing
Status
Cold water- Not lit up
Cell- Solid green
Flow - Solid green
Sanitizer output
All green LEDs lit solid 100%

The unites keep going from indicating everything is fine to the above LEDs. Im pretty new to pools and kind of got this thrown on top of me with a new job position. All in all the local pool store has been great but today they had new people. The pool has been looking great im just trying to keep on top of everything before Arizona summer hits.

Do you have a video of what's happening?

You can post at YouTube and put the link in your next post.

Are all 3 units doing the same thing?

What is the power supply for each unit?

Why do you have 3 units on a 25,000 gallon pool?

Are the three units in series or in parallel?

What is the filter pressure?

What is the model number and age of each cell?

Have you checked the cells for scale?

What are the chemistry readings?

Is the pool indoor or outdoor?

What is the water temperature?

Do you use the tab feeder?

Pentair inttellichlor problem - YouTube

Video of the cells.

All 3 units are doing the same and are run in parallel. They all were descaled two weeks ago and only one has been powered on since. I dont know why there are 3 on the pool it was just built that way. Right now im only running one. The inline chlorine has been running for a few days while ive been trying to figure this out.

Filter pressure currently is 16psi and the flow rate on the pump is ~80GPM

Cell models i believe are ClC60S. They are two years old and each have an independent Pentair power center.

Water chem is

82 degrees
Ph 8.0
FC-5
TC-5
TA-100
CH-400
CYA-60
SALT-2700

I added a qt of Muriatic acid this morning and will retest this afternoon and make further adjustments. Other than that how do my levels look? The salt seems low but i didnt want to raise it since the high and low light were flashing on my generators.

E,

As James says, this is normal for about a minute or so after the cell and/or the pump is first turned on.. Are you saying it never quits flashing or that it does it long after start up?

Thanks,

Jim R.

It does it long after booting up. I just checked and its been about an hour since i had them unplugged and all of them are doing the same thing in the video. They occasionally will read normal when i check them but they'll go back to whats in the video. Other than this issue the pool has been looking great.

It looks like it's not getting a salinity reading.

The flashing is normal at startup, but it should stop within two minutes of the flow light coming on.

It shows good flow. So, it should be taking a reading.

There should be one CIC60P cell (P means primary) and 2 CIC60S (Secondary) cells.

I think that you might need to use the primary cell if you're only going to use 1 cell.

Is the primary cell disconnected?

The primary cell needs to be connected to the primary power supply.

The primary controls the secondary cells. Maybe the primary is looking for flow confirmation from all cells before allowing any cell to take a salinity reading.

Are there 4 power supplies?

Does the system show a model number?

Is the primary power supply connected to the secondary power supplies by data wires?

Is the system connected to an orp sensor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you just solved my problem. I unhooked them and made sure the primary was plugged into the primary spot, rebooted them and within a few minutes they are indicating fine. I must have had them mixed up when I cleaned them out.

It's a commercial system designed for multiple cells. I'm not sure why they went with such a big system. It seems like it would easily overchlorinate if operated too long.

Note to the OP: Use PoolMath to calculate the CSI and keep it between -0.3 to +0.0 to reduce scale in the cells.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.