Pentair CCP420 vs DE Quad 100

stevenb46

Feb 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I'm about to contract with a pool builder. Choices are CCP420 or Quad DE 100 (for over $500 more). Is it worth it? Which would you go with? I have no experience with either. I hear the DE filters are easier to clean and a DE filters pool is clearer, is this true. Is it worth the $500+ (retail price diff is @ $120). I live in the Phoenix area if that makes a difference. WDYT?

We swim a lot at night so I like having my quad de 100. I think that’s when you would notice a difference in clarity. I also like having the clearest water I could get. That would be the reason I’d say to get it. It is not going to be any more difficult to install over the cartridge filter. I would tell them $120 and no backwash valve. $380 installation??? Ask them why, but be prepared to explain the installation process for both filters in order to let them know you know it’s ridiculous. I know my previous builder told me any de filter would be more because they had to run a waste line to a clean out when you backwash, per my cities code. I called an inspector and it wasn’t true so I wasn’t charged extra. Maybe find out before disputing the $380.

Threads talking about the Quad DE...

I agree with Spookie about negotiating the price down.

Steven,

I have two rent house pools with DE filters, so when I built a pool at my house, I wanted a DE filter. Almost all the cities in the DFW area require that DE filter be plumbed to the sewer, not the street or storm drains.. Of course the sewer is on the front side of my house and the pool is in the back, so we opted to go with the CCP-520 cartridge filter. At the time, I was very disappointed.. But, after using a cartridge filter for the past 5 or 6 years, I find that I like the cartridge filter a lot more that my DE filters. I cannot tell the difference in water quality at all. I now can hardly wait for the rent house DE filters to die so that they can be replaced with large cartridge filters..

That said, we do not swim at night and the DE filters that I do have are not the quad 100. I do know for sure that getting rid of the multiport valve is the only way to go. I no longer backwash my DE filters because all the pools have IntelliFlo VS pumps that run at low RPMs.. This keeps the filter pressure low and allows me to only need to open and clean them twice a year. I do the same for my cartridge filter, even though I could go a whole year between cleanings, if I wanted.

For sure I would check with your city about the backwash to the sewer requirement..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would go with the large cartridge filter.

The problem with dumping de into a sewer is that DE is insoluble and will build up and clog a sewer.

For a new pool, a big cartridge filter, a big variable speed pump, a SWG and automation are good choices.

we used to have a sand filter, and used to backwash into pit, covered with river rock. Everytime we back washed, bugs (mostly crickets) would come a running out of the pit. Can I just back wash into my yard? Is it bad for vegetation? I know scorpions hate it. What's SWG?

Steven,

When I disassemble and clean my DE filters, I just wash them off on the grass... I can't see any sign that the grass is harmed in any way..

A SWG, or SWCG, is a Saltwater Chlorine Generator.. It uses the salt in the water to electrically make chlorine to sanitize your pool. In my mind, it is the only type of pool to have..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have medium to large particles that you can physically see randomly suspended in the pool because I run 24/7 and unless the breaker trips, the pump never shuts off to let those particles sink to the bottom. The 5 micron difference between the DE filter and the Cartridge is physically impossible for the human brain to see. Heck.... the 15 micron difference between sand and DE is still impossible to see and there are 50+ years of sparkling sand filter pools out there to prove it.

1 micron = 1 / 25,400 of an inch.
5 microns =. 1 / 5080 of an inch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I originally wanted a SWG system. We are getting a pebble radiance interior and travertine pavers, told salt water its bad for both.
That is a Myth, after a year or two of using chlorine or pucks your pool is going to have salt in it. Corrosion is due to low ph.

Pool builder. Why wouldn't they want to make more $$.

My pool is just shy of the price of a new Lexus LS. Supposed to make final selections in @ 3 hrs. 102' perimeter play pool 3.5 x 4 x 5. 476 SF surface area. 6 x 10 alumawood pergola build over pool with 8' rain feature over 28' long x 2' tall stone veneered wall with 2 x 4' sheers on raised wall, 8' sheer off separate 4' x 12' wall. Iridescent step accent tiles. Stone faced walls every where, 3 therapy jets on one bench, 2 bubblers (non-lit) on baja shelf). Vivid Multicolored pool light, Vivid nicheless light on baja step. Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump, 2 x Pentair VS Intelliflo pumps, Pentair Quad 100 DE Filter, Pebble Radiance surface. Travertine coping and deck. Intellicenter i5 with WIFI, 3 automated valves.

Sheers are relatively thin slits. The water needs to be filtered so that the sheers don't get clogged with debris.

The key to sheers is to make sure that the suction is sized correctly (bigger is better) and the filter doesn't introduce too much head loss.

3 therapy jets on one bench,

Think about is you want more therapy jets on more benches so multiple folks can enjoy it at one time.

Travertine coping and deck.

Specify the quality of the travertine. The problem with travertine is not salt but the low quality travertine often used int he Southwest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.