Pentair Automaton & IC60 Reviews - Questions

shocka

Gold Supporter
Mar 12, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Moved from here... Convert to SWG. CircuPool RJ60 vs Pentair IC60 w/ Automation. Self Install - Page 3

I'm in the process of spec'ing equipment for a new build.

Originally, I had planned for no automation and using the circupool SWCG, pentair intelliflo VS 3HP. My approach was taking what equipment I had researched and found out were the best value and quality and mixing and matching for my project needs.

When I started to look into automation, going with one mfg for everything was going to be a necessity. In my case, that would mean Pentair SWCG. How have the Pentair SWCG (IC60) held up? Amazon reviews are not favorable. Seems like they were good at one point in time, but the quality now is not up to par.

I'm now considering foregoing the SWCG and go with a stenner pump setup. I don't want to invest in a Pentair SWCG and have it fail after a couple years. If I can get the 4-5 years of use out of the Circupool SWCG then it makes $ense and I think would pay for itself in the long run.

With regards to the automation, I am planning on some features/lights that it would be nice to have automation for. I am not sold on the Pentair ET solution. Lots of folks here love it, but I'm not there yet.

Anyone on this thread know if adding ET automation opens up any further options on the pentair intelliflo VS 3HP pump? I know the pump has on-board controls/timer, but was wondering if the ET allows for more advanced control.

S,

In general, I put zero faith in Internet reviews.. and especially when it comes to Saltwater Chlorine Generators.. I would guess that at least 70% of all SWCG "failures" are not failures at all, but rather the simple fact that their owners have no clue what they are doing.

I see it here all the time...

"My cell is not generating any chlorine"... Well, yes it is, but the fact that your water is green means it is being consumed as fast as it is generated.

"I run my pump 8 hours a day and yet my chlorine level is always low" Well, maybe if you had bought a cell sized for your pool and not your wallet, you would not have to run it 24/7 to generate enough chlorine.

"My cells flow light keeps coming on"... Gee, have you thought about cleaning your filter more than once every two years??

Or how about... "My cell must be bad, because it is not making enough salt.."

I have three IC40 salt cells, which are the same as the IC60 in construction and electronics. They all run 24/7... One has been running for 6 years, one for 5 years, and the one at my house for 4 years. I lost the one at my house, when we took a lightning strike and it was replaced under warranty. Not really a Pentair related problem..

The weak link in the Intellichlor is the thermistor in the flow switch. This thermistor adjusts the internal salt test based on water temperature, this can make the cell "think" the salt level is too high or low. Most people never have a problem, but even when they do, it is an easy fix, either under warranty or DIY..

The whole point of automation is so that you don't have to go out to the equipment pad... I can sit at my PC (or phone or tablet) and adjust my pump's speed and get feedback as to how much power it is using and what RPM it is turning. I can adjust my cell's output using an icon and my mouse and get feedback as to the salt level.

I can turn my waterfall on or off with a click of the mouse button or add fill water to my pool when it is low.

I can tell the temperature of the pool water or spa water and schedule when I want things to happen.

Automation is not required or necessary to have a well run and enjoyable pool. I have a very simple pool and find automation is something that I enjoy very much. I would bet, that if I loaned the average pool owner an automation system, and let them use it for 30 days, that when I went to get it back I would have to remove it from their cold dead hands.. :p

Let's see what some of our other members have to say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I echo Jim. My IC40 is now in its 4th year. I had a flow switch failure. Pentair sent me a replacement. You can get them on Amazon for ~$60.

I do not have the Screenlogic, I just program the ET old school ------

Biggest factor is to have your own proper test kit and actively manage your pool water chemistry. CSI is very important here in the desert.

Thank you for the responses. Good information to think about prior to finalizing.

I do have the TF100 test kit and the speed stir. Haven't used it in 4 or 5 years (had it at the old house with my last pool). Will purchase a refill kit prior to opening up my new pool.

Another unfavorable post of the pentair SWCG product. I have decided to nix the SWCG component from my project. I plan to start my pool off jug dumping approach and then work in a Stenner pump setup down the road. I'll have my plumber leave me a tee where I can inject once my setup is operational.

Woes and Tribulations of the IC60

Whatever works for you works for me.. But did you actually read the problems??? I have serious doubts that his cell is bad at all.

There is nothing wrong with going with a Stenner...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.