Pentair alexa skill is back!

Ame

May 22, 2013
Phoenix Arizona
What commands work? Only thing I can get to check is temperature. Asked to turn on pool lights, says there is no circuit called pool lights. Tried to turn on pool feature, like waterfall. Nothing. Maybe I'm asking alexa incorrectly?

Ame,

I don't use Alexa anymore as it was more trouble than it was worth..

But.. I think you had to say something like.. "Alexa, ask ScreenLogic to turn on the pool light"

Thanks,

Jim R.

It needs to be pulled down, the new app can't authorize on the Pentair side, they are denying the Amazon connection. You also now have to ask Alexa to connect to "Pentair Chat" which is dumb.

Yeah about as reliable as the web portal... Was able to turn on pool light with "Ask Pentair chat to turn on pool light" but when I tried to turn it off it had problems.

Not sure how it worked before because the skill was pulled the day I got my Amazon Echo. I can say that the new skill only half works. I can get it to turn on my equipment with Alexa (sometimes), but it will not turn my equipment off. Very disappointed in Pentair. Spent a lot of money on this system and was excited about the voice control. Will think twice about buying another Pentair product in the future. Hopefully Pentair gets their act together and fixes this.

I am a little frustrated that they changed the 'call sign' from 'my pool' to 'Pentair chat'. Give me more of a mouthful to say, why don't you. I don't know if it changes based on which Pentair controller you are using. I am using Intellicenter. Other than Alexa not being able to understand what I am saying, it is turning on and off everything I ask to. Sounds like I have some renaming to do on a few of my circuits.

--Jeff

Yes, they really muddied the waters with these separate Alexa skills. The Pentair ScreenLogic skill is invoked with "Alexa, ask pentair pool" and the Pentair IntelliCenter skill is invoked with "Alexa, ask pentair chat". I don't think you can enable skills with identical invocations which might be necessary for people that have both systems.

Hmmm,
I think I've jacked something up :p . Wonder if anyone else has experienced the same.
1. I disabled the old skill.
2. Closed the Amazon Alexa app.
3. Then opened the app, navigated to Sklls & Games > Your Skills and it was gone. Okay good.
4. Then I searched for Pentair IntelliCenter and tapped on "ENABLE TO USE".
5. Then completed the "Log in to pentairpoolsso.com" and authorized.
6. When I say "Alexa, ask pentair chat what the pool temperature is", the response is always "Can't "copnick" to requested pool. Please try again later"

I've went through this drill a couple of times and checked out some other resources but no luck. Obviously I'm missing a key step here somewhere lol...
r.

I've had that "Can't connect to requested pool" message before and when I tried later (w/o changing anything) it worked. Just make sure that your panel is still connected to the internet and that you can access it from the web portal.

For those that are into tinkering and are already using Home Assistant, you can create an Amazon Alexa Custom Skill and hook into the IntelliCenter using code supplied by member @Gibby13.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
M,
I've had that "Can't connect to requested pool" message before and when I tried later (w/o changing anything) it worked. Just make sure that your panel is still connected to the internet and that you can access it from the web portal.
I don't think that's the issue. I have tried a few times over the last week or so and keep getting the same result. I would know in a heartbeat if the panel was not communicating on the LAN, as I have a 24x7 screen display of my IntelliCenter DashPanel on my rp monitor, so that's not it.
For those that are into tinkering and are already using Home Assistant, you can create an Amazon Alexa Custom Skill and hook into the IntelliCenter using code supplied by member @Gibby13.
I might have to explore HA in greater detail later as I'm aware that several who are running the Node.js poolcontroller-dashpanel are also integrating with HA. Wonder if that means running a second RP just dedicated to the HA effort. :unsure:. Others' here have said, "you can never have too many RP's" lol...

Anyway, guess I'll just have to put this whole Alexa IntelliCenter Skill hiccup on the back burner for now. Between working on njs dashpanel refinements and preparing for a new Mac workstation and major transition from Win10 to MacOS Catalina (never owned a Mac in my life), my plate is about full for now.
Edit by Jim R.
Thanks..
r.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Pentair Intellicenter Skill is working, when the web client is up. If we ask pentair chat to "turn the feature on", she doesn't understand. But, if we say "turn on the feature", it works. Found that we also have to call the feature what it is named in the circuit configuration.
Everything, so far, seems to work, except asking to change the light color/mode. She responds with "okay", but nothing changes. Has anyone figured that one out?

-G

Last edited:
The skill is back.

They changed the verbiage.

Instead of saying "ask Pentair", you have to say "Ask PENTAIR POOL".....

Took me forever to find the right person at Pentair Tech support to know this
Is there a way to change the command from "ask pentair pool.." so something else? The Pentair SSO profile asked me to name my pool, implying this is how the Alexa skill is invoked. But it only responds to "pentair pool", unless I am missing something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.