pentair actuator on Jandy valve

repairman

Gold Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Lompoc, CA (central coast)
I went to put a Pentair actuator on a Jandy valve and the 4 screws that came with the Pentair actuator wouldn't screw into the Jandy valve lid. The Jandy valve lid doesn't even have threads in the holes the actuator screws are supposed to screw into, like the Pentair valve lids. Also there is a little more play in the fit between the valve post and the actuator female receiving bushing than with the Pentair to Pentair combo. The Pentair install instructions say use self tapping screws if needed. I called Jandy and Pentair to try and make sure this combo is supposed to work before I went ahead and screwed it on, but couldn't find anyone knowledgable about this at either place. Does anyone here have experience with this - Pentair actuator on Jandy valve? Thanks,
Jim

Just as rstrouse said, on the Jandy valve, you must remove the screws that line up with the actuator holes. I have multiple Jandy valves with the Pentair Intellivalve actuator. I assume the regular Pentair actuator is similar.

--Jeff

Check out the two pics. One is of the Jandy valve showing the holes where the actuator needs to screw in the other is the actuator on the valve showing where the screws go in. There are no screws to remove where the actuator needs to screw into the valve, they are just empty holes with no threads. So I don’t see what you were talking about removing screws on the valve and replacing them with the Pentair ones. The question is should I tap into the four holes and have no threads and use the Pentair screws or other screws?

Attachments

• 0B357478-7594-4771-915A-A4C17B18E768.jpeg
    0B357478-7594-4771-915A-A4C17B18E768.jpeg
    644.9 KB · Views: 40
  • D924FFA0-D2DD-4561-8795-BC0DC3295D16.jpeg
    D924FFA0-D2DD-4561-8795-BC0DC3295D16.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 40
I would just use the self tapping screws that come with the actuator to install, as long as they aren't too long. Could always cut them down.

I don't believe that is a Jandy brand valve. I've not got a ton of experience though, but every website I find Jandy valves, none have that design. Maybe one of our pool contractors will weigh in.

--Jeff

Post a pic of the handle that came off that valve.

I agree it is not a Jandy valve.

That is, likely, a 2.5"-3" valve. Both Jandy and Pentair make that size and, I believe, so does CMP and Waterway. Both the Jandy and Penatir have lids like that in the picture. The self-threading screws should just cut their own threads into the appropriate hole. If the screws truly are too long, some stainless-steel washers can take up the slack on the top. Most likely the screws will work as all valves are made to a similar standard to accept all manufacturer's actuators.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.