Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS suddenly won't run

Aug 19, 2018
Memphis/TN
Hi there, looking for some advice!
I've got a Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS, maybe 2 years old, and it was running. I hit the stop button to to clean the skimmer, and then turned it back on or tried to. It wouldn't turn back on.

So then I noticed the following:
  • Looking into it I noticed water above the LCD screen which has never been there before.
  • I was getting a 001A error
So I though ok maybe something has clogged the blades after I did a quick search on the internet. So I pull the breaker, drain the water, and try turning the motor/blades with a screw drivers. They turn just fine by hand. So flip the breaker back on. Same error. So then I decided to see if maybe there is water inside the control case where it should not be because of the water under the LCD. So I turn off the breaker again.

So I pull the top case off, and sure enough there is water in there where I"m pretty sure there shouldn't be and the screws to the LCD have some rust on them. So then I do the following:
  • Unplug the electronics case.
  • Unscrew the metal case holding the electronics, with a paper towel I dry up any moisture.
  • Use a can of air made for PCs to blow off any moisture I can't get to with the paper towel.
  • On the pump there is water in little opens in there too so I blow all that out dry everything best I can and reassemble.
Now the error code is gone but the unit seems to think it's connected to an external controller. The little light is on and the speed is 0 when I try to start it. I tried a factor reset holding the up, down, and number 1 button but it still seems to think it's being controlled by an external device.

Thoughts suggestions?

I kind of feel like it might be some moisture creating a contact somewhere unexpected making the unit think the external control is connected even though it isn't.

about the only thing you could try is put the controller in a bag of rice and see if it takes the moisture out of it, you could also try to put the rice and part over a heat pad to warm it up and see if it will get more moister out... it may take a day or 2 but I seriously doubt it will fix it but maybe... It is this piece correct > Pentair DRIVE ASSY SUPERFLO VS - 353127 - INYOPools.com

You may have to replace it....

Rob, while you're waiting for our motor man, can you get through this article and do what you can? It'll help you get a better, faster answer. Thx!

A few pictures of your pump and pad might also provide him a clue.

And welcome to TFP, glad you found us!

cowboycasey yeah that's the pad part of the unit.

The pad actually works, I can set time, change speed settings, etc but it won't start. If I hit start none of the settings light up and the speed shows zero. The other odd thing is the watts show zero. I've taken it apart again and looked at everything closely and there are no obvious signs of damage to anything. The circuit board seems ok minus a bit of corrosion around what I assume was once the on board bios battery.

Like I said before the motor was running till I hit the start/stop button. I've cleared out all the water it's completely dry now having been out in the sun all day today. Same results. Guess it might be time to break the whole thing down and look for other problems. Hate to get into it I was in the middle of building some cabinets heh.

Here's a link to the unit: Amazon.com : Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 342001 : Garden & Outdoor
Purchased and installed myself May of 2018. It's been running perfectly till yesterday when this happened.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Update: Seems that if you factory reset this unit you then have to hold down "start/stop" to get it to stop trying to connect to an external controller.

Now I'm getting a 001A error again so I guess my next steps will be to pull apart the pump and look for some kind of problem.

I do not believe Pentair sells the VS motor on its own. You can put a VGreen 1.65hp VS motor on the pump. Or switch to single speed and next time it needs to be replaced then switch back to VS as single speed pool pump motors over 1.1THP will no longer be sold as of July 2021.
InyoPools carries a complete range of motors for pool pumps.

I just bought and installed the V green VSP and it is a great little motor so far...... recommend a cover for the motor of some kind and a surge protector... :)

Reactions: guinness

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.