Pentair 1 hp pump dead.

May 23, 2012
I posted this in another forum also so will repost here because I'm lost. Not sure why this pump died so quickly...

My Pentair 1 hp pump died after a little more that one year. I had a spare Jacuzzi pump on hand so ran that for a couple years. Now I find that I was a little late removing the pump from service( we had an unusually early freeze) and my basket strainer is cracked. Is there a reset for this Pentair pump or is it just dead? Won't do a thing except sit there glaring at me. I will dismantle it but would like some advice beforehand.

Thanks Guys...

Glenn

Very hard to see in the cheap phone pics but the wire connectors on the switch were melted and corroded. I ran a temp household switch to test if the motor still works and it did. I need to pick up a better toggle switch but am wondering why this happened. Pump ran for just over a year.

Seven-year old above ground or spa pump with severe corrosion issues and a questionable installation? Buy a new pump and have it properly installed. Electricity, pool water, and people are not a good mix.
I disagree with that statement. As long as the pump is properly repaired and properly wired in (including proper grounding and bounding) there is no reason to replace it.

Reactions: Blackstar

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I disagree with that statement. As long as the pump is properly repaired and properly wired in (including proper grounding and bounding) there is no reason to replace it.
A pool owner can do whatever they like with their equipment. As a professional I have to look at 1- Am I going to injure someone with my installation/repair? 2 - Am I wasting the customer's money? 3 - What kind of modifications have been made that will make it impossible to accept the liability of working on that piece of equipment?

In this case we are looking at a seven-year old pump that is severely corroded (bearings and internal wiring likely damaged), likely not bonded, may not be properly grounded, and has had an indoor light switch somehow installed to operate it. From a professional standpoint this is something you run away from if the customer is not willing to made it safe. This is a $300 +/- pump. Disagree though you may, there is no reason to risk injury for that small amount of money.

A pool owner can do whatever they like with their equipment. As a professional I have to look at 1- Am I going to injure someone with my installation/repair? 2 - Am I wasting the customer's money? 3 - What kind of modifications have been made that will make it impossible to accept the liability of working on that piece of equipment?

In this case we are looking at a seven-year old pump that is severely corroded (bearings and internal wiring likely damaged), likely not bonded, may not be properly grounded, and has had an indoor light switch somehow installed to operate it. From a professional standpoint this is something you run away from if the customer is not willing to made it safe. This is a $300 +/- pump. Disagree though you may, there is no reason to risk injury for that small amount of money.
He said he put the light switch on temporarily for testing purposes (I wouldn’t have done that as I would have jumped it out to test). Not properly grounded is an assumption.

"May not be properly grounded" is not an assumption of anything, just expressing what I have seen in too many above ground pool and spa installations.
The condition of that motor makes any repair effort a likely futile exercise. If it is only a year or so old, it has been subjected to some serious water incursion and abuse. That would damage the bearings, wiring, rotor, stator and cause the frame corrosion seen in the pictures. Any pump that is below water level, as in an above ground pool or portable spa installation, and not run regularly will see this type of damage. The shaft seal is not a 100% seal. Water will weep past it and into the motor if not dried out by the heat of running. When I actively worked on spas I would see it regularly when people would take their spa out of service "for just a little while" and not drain the spa, or on an above ground pool that wasn't run over a winter. A pump, or really any motor, that is outdoors and not run regularly will also have a buildup of condensation that needs to be dried by having the motor run or damage will result. In a pool environment it is worse. These types of water issues can also cause corrosion between the rotor and stator that causes wear and possible electrical shorts. These type of pumps are so inexpensive, as pool equipment goes, to make most repairs a waste of time, effort, and money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.