Pebbletech Infitiy Pool trouble

I *think* I completed the slam but I'm not 100% confident. Chlorine consumption remains low, water is clear, no visible algae. i didn't confirm that my pH adjustment worked before I started last week, so I'll retest in the morning. My FC should be below 10, so I'll get a valid reading, bring the FC back up and do the overnight test in the evening.

C

Just some 'way out of left field' thoughts if you happen to have ongoing issues with algae starting in the overflows, after you pass the 3 slam finishing criteria.

If you were using liquid bleach to dose I would dose to the overflows and then let it run back through the system. For a short time at least you would be mini slamming the overflows which you seem to have identified as a possible deadspot issue
If you have an automated system (swg, liquid chlorine dosing pump) could some or all of the outlet of that run to your overflows for the same principle above

Hopefully you wont have to go that far, and if you can split up your run time on your pump so that as the chlorine level drops in the overflows from sun burnoff the pump kicks in before they reach your min level, cycles until the pool reaches chlorine equilibrium and so on throughout the day. I think you will need to run your pump more often that the 'average' pool so a variable speed pump would be beneficial here to minimise your electrical costs

Ok, today FC was down to 6.5 and I did the PH test again. Got 8.4 (full scale), added 4oz muriatic waited 30mins got 8.4, added 8oz more, waited 30mins got 7.5. So my PH has been very high the whole time. My mistake was interpreting the 8.4 PH reading as 8.4 rather than as "8.4 or higher". Altogether, I had to add 18oz of muriatic to get it to spec. I did the cc test and got 0.5 (1 drop) which is down from 1.5 2-days ago. I haven't actually added chlorine since 9/9/16. Tonight I added 50oz since it called for 49 to get me to FC10 (50 should be 10.05). I'll do the loss test early in the morning. In the future, if I'm going to maintain FC around 10, is there a way to do that with the cheap regular chlorine test (which only goes to 7.4 or something) instead of the expensive FAS-DPD?

cheers,
c

OCLT:

Was 6.5 last night, calculator called for 49oz to bring to 10. I added 50oz because of the divisions on my measuring cup which should bring it to 10.05-10.09 according to the calculator. Just tested now (6:15am, sun barely up) got 10.5. So loss was 0 overnight, cc<0.5, everything still crystal clear.

So, it looks like my SLAM was a success despite my errors. Thanks for the help everyone. Now I'm eyeing Borates, TFP is addicting...

Kimkats,
I agree, I vastly prefer the powder test, but I've run through those chemicals pretty fast. I'll need to check what the refills cost.

cheers,
c

Vandal, has your testing been showing the results you would expect when you add your chemicals? As in are you SURE you had 10.05 FC after you added the chlorine? It might be nit picking but you want to be sure you are spot on. If so then you are good!

Look in my siggy for where I order my test stuff from. The customer service is AWESOME and it is guaranteed to be fresh unlike some other places where it might sit on the shelf waiting to be sold.

:kim:

kimkats,
yes, the PoolMath has been accurate for me, I'm getting the changes I expect for a given amount of addition. I do have some calcium deposits at the waterline, whats good for removing them without messing up my water balance?

cheers,
c

Try a 50/50 mixture of muratic acid and water and see what happens. A pumice stone might also work but will be quite a bit of work.

If the 50/50 does not work or is slow to work go up to 75/25. PLEASE use care when messing with MA. It is nasty stuff. Wear gloves and eye cover.

While you are working on that also look at your water levels in Pool Math. Look down at the CSI. Let us know what it says. In fact run and share all of your test results along with the CSI.

You know know the MA will work on your PH. So long as you know this and adjust your level as needed you will be fine.

:kim: Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.