Pea gravel base, thickness of underlayment

Aries95

Jun 21, 2020
Houston
I’m just bought and installed a 12x24x52’ Intex above ground pool. I installed it on a concrete driveway pad. Some of the pad had a meaningful slope (old) so I used pea gravel to level it before pool installation. Anticipating some issues here, I put 4 layers of underlayment under the pool. Two 6 mm plastic sheets, one 14mm heavy duty tarp, and then the ground cover (10mm?) that comes with the pool.
So I have approx 36mm—1 3/8”—of underlayment over the base. Notwithstanding, during the installation process (I did it myself without help) some of the gravel was drug out from the recessed areas when I was positioning the tarps such that there a some random “rogue” pieces isolated underneath the pool. I believe they are all the way I’m the bottom—below the underlayment.

They cannot be much bigger than a penny in diameter, but are annoying (but not painful underfoot) to me. More to the point, I’m concerned they’ll puncture the liner. I am thinking about adding a layer of 3/4” rubber mats (sand isn’t supposed to be used over concrete), which will require draining the pool and getting 6 people to lift it up. Really do not want to do that.

I want to know if I can leave the pool as is for the next 4 months till I take it down and do it better next year. Does anyone have ACTUAL experience with a situation like this, and if so, any guidance would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Let's see if anyone has ACTUAL experience with pea gravel under their pool this weekend.

So, I’m guessing no actual experience?

I‘m thinking that’s a lot of thickness for a small pebble to poke through. I would be inclined to watch the spots for signs of wear.

I used 1/4- crushed gravel under my 12x24 intex and put down 1”x4’x8’ foam board insulation from Lowe’s. The bottom of the pool is very soft and cushy. I would recommend buying 12 sheets of that insulation, then draining, put insulation underneath and refill. I think it would be much better in the long run. I hear the intex pools have a tendency to leak if taken down over winter and set back up next season. To drain, set insulation and refill should only have you down for a couple days, then you can relax with a nice cold adult beverage!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.