PB withholding amount of plaster that will be used

S.Mcgavin

May 18, 2023
Hercules, CA
Hey all,

I'm a few days away to getting my pool re-plastered, got a few quotes and ended up choosing my current PB. Everything has been going well so far, but I read some issues that people had with plaster application and some people even getting shorted on materials. My PB is using someone else to plaster and I asked him to get me the number of batches/bags of plaster that will be used (we'll be using npt stonescapes mini pebbles). My PB assured me he's been using these guys for a while now and that they do a good job, I said I understand but still would like in detail what I'm paying for (I should have done this before I signed the contract in hindsight). His response was then "As many as we need to get the job done right".

Do PBs usually withhold the amount of plaster used from their customers? Or is this something something they should be sharing?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. I do trust him but never met the plaster guys so wanted see if I can get more information from them. Should there be any mention of pool size in the contract in regards to the plaster job? It lists which plaster will be used but no mention of size or anything like that.

Well, it might be good idea for you to be there on plaster day and ask to see the product BEFORE the crew starts working. You don't necessarily need to count every bag, but you at least want to make sure that you're getting actual NPT product and, if there's any data on the bag like a lot number or a batch number, you should record that. You should also verify that the color on the bag matches the color you requested.

Check out those plastering articles. You should definitely request that the plaster applicator NOT use any calcium chloride accelerant as that tends to cause white spotting and you should make sure that everyone is on board with the startup procedure.

This all requires you to BE THERE and to ask questions. They are probably going to start very early in the morning doing their set-up and tenting work. You're going to want to talk to the job foreman then and not when the guys have already started mixing and spraying the product.

Just note that they may get grouchy if you get too much into their "business". I think asking about not using calcium chloride is perfectly fine at the outset because there is ample evidence that it is not good for plaster but you probably can't get too picky about how much water they use while troweling or telling them not to do any late hard troweling. That kind of discussion really has to happen when a job is being bided out as it relates to workmanship issues and it's something that really needs the backing of your PB because the plaster sub isn't really working for you directly - they're working for the PB. SO if you do have any asks like the calcium chloride issue, you should also clear it with your PB so that he agrees and will back you up when the sub shows up. The PB very likely will not be there on plaster day but he may show up later after the work is done.

Reactions: S.Mcgavin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all, this is very helpful and puts my mind at ease. I'll be sure to be around early in the morning and get in sync with the foreman.
Day of Plaster

• Clean up around the pool area the day before - brush any dirt/mud or debris that could be tracked into the pool during or after plaster
  • Verify that the bags of plaster are the proper type and color you selected on morning of plaster.
  • Take a sample of the mixture when they are applying it to the pool by pouring some in a small clear plastic cup (good for reference later)
  • Do they have all the proper return nozzles and drain covers (type and color) to place after plaster installed
  • Have you tested your fill water? Are you filling with softened water or regular tap water or well water?
  • Have your hose ready (and clean) as it will be laying in the pool.
  • Tie a sock or cloth around the nozzle so it does not sit on the plaster.
  • Put the end of the hose at the lowest part of the pool to avoid channeling in the new plaster. Also, consider tying a plastic jug to the nozzle such that it will float up as the water rises.
  • Ensure you take note (or a picture) of your water meter reading before you start to fill
  • Be prepared to take note of your water meter as the pool reaches certain levels, i.e bottom of bottom step, top of bottom step, etc. (it helps in the future to know volume of your pool at certain levels - should you ever have to drain portion of it)
  • Plan to set an alarm every 4 hours (or so) to ensure hose is still in pool, no debris blew into pool, etc.
  • Do NOT stop the flow of water once the pool starts filling as doing so could cause a ring on the new plaster.
  • Take a picture of any chemicals they bring on site that they plan to dump in when they start to add water to pool
  • Continue to fill pool to center of water tile or center of skimmer. Take picture of water meter at end of fill
  • Get clear instructions from PB as what to do the day the pool is full - how often to brush, will the pump be turned on, etc.
  • Define with PB when he will be back out to set up water chemistry.

Reactions: S.Mcgavin
Contact NPT and ask them.

I did this first actually and called my PB with that ratio and mentioned it to him.

Day of Plaster

• Have you tested your fill water? Are you filling with softened water or regular tap water or well water?
I haven't. My PB is handling the startup though. I believe it is tap water. Sounds like it's worth testing it beforehand.

Day of Plaster

• Clean up around the pool area the day before - brush any dirt/mud or debris that could be tracked into the pool during or after plaster
  • Verify that the bags of plaster are the proper type and color you selected on morning of plaster.
  • Take a sample of the mixture when they are applying it to the pool by pouring some in a small clear plastic cup (good for reference later)
  • Do they have all the proper return nozzles and drain covers (type and color) to place after plaster installed
  • Have your hose ready (and clean) as it will be laying in the pool.
  • Tie a sock or cloth around the nozzle so it does not sit on the plaster.
  • Put the end of the hose at the lowest part of the pool to avoid channeling in the new plaster. Also, consider tying a plastic jug to the nozzle such that it will float up as the water rises.
  • Ensure you take note (or a picture) of your water meter reading before you start to fill
  • Be prepared to take note of your water meter as the pool reaches certain levels, i.e bottom of bottom step, top of bottom step, etc. (it helps in the future to know volume of your pool at certain levels - should you ever have to drain portion of it)
  • Plan to set an alarm every 4 hours (or so) to ensure hose is still in pool, no debris blew into pool, etc.
  • Do NOT stop the flow of water once the pool starts filling as doing so could cause a ring on the new plaster.
  • Take a picture of any chemicals they bring on site that they plan to dump in when they start to add water to pool
  • Continue to fill pool to center of water tile or center of skimmer. Take picture of water meter at end of fill
  • Get clear instructions from PB as what to do the day the pool is full - how often to brush, will the pump be turned on, etc.
  • Define with PB when he will be back out to set up water chemistry.
🤩Fantastic list!
Also, in my experience a cooler of drinks for the hard working crew goes a long way.
Happy & appreciated workers tend to put more care into their job. It can’t hurt!
@S.Mcgavin I hope your refinish goes swimmingly 😎

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.