PB Only Did a Partial Bond Coat - Is That Okay

Mar 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I am going on 2 months for getting my pool refinished. One thing after another. We are close and the pool guy did the bond coat, but ran out of material before they finished bond coating (see picture). They are saying that because it is down to the gunite shell that it is unnecessary to finish bond coating before plaster. Any opinions? Doesn't feel like much more effort but why would they bond coat 80% of the pool, run out and then use the justification that it is not needed?

Attachments

• 20190724_152204.jpg
    20190724_152204.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 100
So, email the NPC and ask them if their standard is to apply bond coat until you run out and that's all that needs to be done?

If you hire someone to paint your house, is it done when they run out of paint?

"We don't have to finish. It's supposed to be 65% new blue paint and 35% old flaky white paint. Those are the rules from the global painting commission."

Is the lawn service done when the mower runs out of gas?

Is the cake decorator done when they run out of icing?

If they run out of plaster before completing the entire pool on plaster day, is the job complete?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Oly and bdavis466

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the response I got back from my pool builder when I shared this thread with him.

"The prep methodology is drawn up by the National Plaster Council. The gurus of plastering Not on the web"
Im rather familiar with that document and nowhere does it say partial bond coat. Have him show you what he's talking about... until then it's his word vs the interweb

Thank you all for your input. I provided this link to the pool builder and he has finally agreed to Bond coat the rest of the pool. I'm not sure that I could have convinced him without this group of unbelievably knowledgeable people helping me out. Thank you so much

The shame of it is that look what it took to get him to do what should have been a matter of course from the very beginning.

At this point, I would keep a close eye on the remainder of the work. This guy has shown he has no problem trying to cut corners.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
So, email the NPC and ask them if their standard is to apply bond coat until you run out and that's all that needs to be done?

If you hire someone to paint your house, is it done when they run out of paint?

"We don't have to finish. It's supposed to be 65% new blue paint and 35% old flaky white paint. Those are the rules from the global painting commission."

Is the lawn service done when the mower runs out of gas?

Is the cake decorator done when they run out of icing?

If they run out of plaster before completing the entire pool on plaster day, is the job complete?
Snarcasm at its best!

I have been told by other contractors that I am particular about the work I want done. I think it's a nice way of saying I'm picky and a pain in the rear. I am so surprised that other people accept mediocre work.I think one of the challenges in Austin Texas is it's hard to find really good people as the building is booming and most of the construction trade is fully employed. It is more important than ever to have systems and processes for quality assurance. I don't think most organizations have them.

It is not your problem that many people don’t know what quality work is and accept mediocre work.

Thank you all for your input. I provided this link to the pool builder and he has finally agreed to Bond coat the rest of the pool. I'm not sure that I could have convinced him without this group of unbelievably knowledgeable people helping me out. Thank you so much
Slick... This sounds like you may have an uphill battle on the horizon.. hope not. Just in case you might want to familiarize your self with your State's CSLB ahead of time. And take lots of pictures to document.. let him know your are taking lots of pictures to document, and take pictures that have him in it so he can't deny was never onsite to see what was going on.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.