PB knowledge levels.

His expertise is in building pools and I've developed a level of expertise in maintaining mine. That's my responsibility as a pool owner .....

I think building a pool and maintaining one are closely related. PB's sell us equipment that is maintenance and water chemistry related - chlorinators, in floor cleaning systems, swg, UV systems, and so on. So, expecting them to know about the pros and cons of each item is not really asking for too much. I can certainly understand why trades / subs like the gunite guy or the landscape guy or even the tile guy does not know much about water chemistry. In some ways, I would also excuse the pool designer from having detailed knowledge about everything pool related - but it is a stretch for me to comprehend that a PB does not have basic water chemistry knowledge.

My PB, during pool school, is the one who convinced me to go with a stenner pump for chlorine addition. He even suggested where I should tap into the plumbing making sure I was downstream of the blackflow preventer to the heater. He even suggested that I use another Stenner for acid addition but I given the frequency of additions as compared to chlorine it made more sense to handle it manually. We also talked about adding a SWG later but he persuaded me against it given I have travertine all around the pool. He said you had to be careful with it for corrosion and it made not happen right away but it could happen after several years. He also discussed CYA with me and said given my sun expsure he was going to target 40-50ppm. He may not have had the knowledge of the folks here but he got me started adn then I just educated myself here.

My PB, during pool school, is the one who convinced me to go with a stenner pump for chlorine addition.....

Glad to hear this Espejo. I already spoke to your PB ( thanks again for that) and frankly he is so far he has the best design and gave much better bid and design than the other 100k bids I have received. You got a great PB and a fantastic design too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a PB to pass along to other. At least they are trying to do good for their customers.

Completely agree. I already spoke with his PB and he is everything Espejo says he is - plus the lovely pool that Espejo built is also tribute to his work.

Thanks. Based on the $100K project build cost it is going to be fantastic. I'm looking forward to watching this one during construction phase. Just remember whoever you go with there will very likely be difficulties along the journey. Some of the problems will be beyond anyone's control. Also, remember it is going to be a construction site. It will be dirty and muddy and at times it will seem that the PB has forgotten about your project. Stay in contact with them and there were times when I saw movement after I made a call or sent an email. They will be balancing multiple projects and may send crews out to those who raise issues. Since you will have work done during the winter it probably won't be the same issues we had since we were trying to get work done before the kids headed back to college. Also, don't forget about the costs outside of your PB. Your sprinkler system, fence and yard will suffer damage. If you have not done so already be sure to keep money aside for those costs. Then when your beautiful pool is all done you will want to improve the landscaping, another cost. Then you and your wife will want to accessories and add planters, outdoor furniture, etc. (another cost). There may even be unforeseen issues which will have to be addressed. I'm not trying to discourage you just go in with your eyes wide open. I anticipated some of these costs but I was well under budget for them all.

In the end just know that it will all be worth it. Once it is done you will be the envy of your neighbors (especially at $100K because I'm envious already) and you will have many years of enjoyment with your friends and family. Even after all of this I would do it all over again. Although the next time I may act as my own general contractor. I'm not sure I would save a ton but I've learned alot along the way. Good luck

Thanks. Based on the $100K project build cost it is going to be fantastic.

Espejo - I'm hoping to make it 25 to 40% lesser than 100K- I think some of the bids I have received are not realistic. I guess the area and home values are affecting my pricing. Maybe my neighbors have spent that kind of money - which unfortunately I am not ready to spend on my first pool. Even 60k to 75k - they will have to show me exceptional value. And as you correctly pointed out, we have to budget for all the other incidentals like furniture, landscaping, etc etc. Here is a design that we liked that is coming in at 70K.

Last edited:
Wow. Fantastic design. Are they adding a drain in the water feature location? Dirt, leaves, etc. may blow into the area and you need to think about keeping it clean since I don't think the pool cleaner will be going into that area. i would not get rid of it since it adds a lot of interest just be sure your PB explains how that area will keep clean. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Espejo - drain in water feature area has been added to my list of questions...never would have thought of that. The design may still change a bit and we may interchange the spa and water feature area. Some cost cutting measures too to really evaluate what we need and will use without breaking the bank...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thanks Kim - it's only in design stage right now and figured once I get closer to pulling the trigger. ..with the "near" final design + cost, I will start a new thread for my build. Maybe it's time to start that thread:))

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Frankly this is exactly why we decided to build our own pool. We interviewed several pool builders and NONE took into account soil types, hydraulics etc. or would even do much out of the ordinary in terms of water features or custom features without charging an insane amount of money for them. Most pool builds I've seen have MINIMUM amounts of gunite and almost no steel. This is the pool! The gunite and steel are what holds your pool together. Sure, it'll look pretty at first and will technically hold water, but 5 years later, it'll shift and crack and you'll be re-plastering or worse. They don't add more steel or gunite because it costs money. But most customers don't know what to look for so they never ask. As for the pool equipment; most pool builders we received bids from gave us the crappiest pool equipment they could find with the smallest diameter pvc to pass an inspection. This meant I got a cheap sand filter, standard pumps, no automation, no Polaris, and a single pool light. Even still, we had a hard time finding a pool builder to build our pool for less than $75,000.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.