PB finally ready to start...

Emc.Carter

Gold Supporter
Aug 29, 2019
Ohio
They thought they would be starting late September... and they are coming out this Friday to lay out the pool site and begin on Monday, 11/25. Of course, we placed our 20% deposit when we signed the contract back in August, haha. But I have not minded so much, because we have needed the time to get the layout squared away with the architect - something I thought the PB would do, but I guess once he heard an architect was involved, he just stepped to the side.

We originally were looking at a 20'x40', then increased to 20'x50' to do laps, but due to constraints by our septic line, we've settled in at 20'x45'. Here is what our contract stated:

20'x45' rectangle shape 3'6 to 6'6 deep
7000 psi concrete construction with 3/8” and ½” steel reinforcing rods 12”
on center.
 6” x 6” frost proof tile. $8.75 per sq ft allowance
 Interior finish to be diamond brite
 Walk in steps with a 7’ x 7’ sun deck
 One bubbler in sun deck and umbrella hole
 One Swim out
 Two surface skimmers
 4 LED lights
 6 returns in pool
 Two main drains with hydro-static valve
 Schedule 40 pvc plumbing with turn ball valves
 Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pool pump
 Pentair 420 sq ft cartridge filter
 Polaris 380 automatic pool cleaner with booster pump. --> Will remove and purchase robot
 Raypac electric heat pump
 CL 200 chlorination system / Frog System --> Requested Pentair IC-60
Vac Kit/Telescope pole/Leaf Net/Wall Brush/Test Kit/Start up chemicals

Questions:
(1) The PB keeps requesting that I really reconsider SWG with automatic pool cover. He thinks either SWG with winter cover, or traditional chlorine with automatic cover. I'm not sure what to think. Is there anyone here who lives in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois) that has both a SWG and automatic cover who could chime in?

(2) Anything else to present to PB prior to moving forward?

Thank you all so much!

You need to look at the specifics of the auto-cover design. Most are aluminum tracks which can be susceptible to corrosion from the higher chloride concentrations found in SWG pools. All chlorine pools will have higher chloride concentration (disinfecting chlorine breaks down into chloride ion) but SWG pools start with a higher overall level (typically around 3200ppm versus < 1000ppm for traditionally chlorinated pools with winter/rain dilution).

Find out who the manufacturer of the auto-cover is and call them to see what they recommend. There may be specific installation requirements for the track and cover well that need to be in place for an SWG pool.

I would ask more about those ball valves. Generally we recommend something like the Jandy never-lube 3-way valves. 3-way valves are made by various manufactures and a re typically more reliable than a simple ball valve. Plus, you can repair 3-way valves later if needed. I'd also ask if they use unions where each item is connected for easy removal later.

I can't speak much for teh type of cover, but chlorine is chlorine. Regardless of the FC is generated by teh SWG or added manually, it's the same.

What model LED lights? You don’t want one with proprietary niches. How will the LED light colors be controlled?

What model # pump?

Use all diverter valves and not ball valves.

Any automation?

The PB is coming this morning so I will inquire about the above mentioned items. There were two reputable PB options in the area. The other PB builds out 100/year... this company that we are going with is family owned and operated in the area for decades. However, they don’t seem to be as specific in their contracts as the other company and while the person I interact with is kind and courteous, he sometimes says my requests are “over the top”.
Thanks all for your help. Please stay tuned...

The meeting went well. We finalized pool location, he stated that they would be using Jandy valves with unions. I brought up our decision to proceed with SWG and automatic cover. He said he would do what we want but that it would break down. Our contractor pushed him a little on this and asked if there weren’t sacrificial anodes like boats have to direct the corrosion etc, and he said he would speak with the manufacturer. I thought there was only automatic pool cover company ... I think not. Anyone have a Cover Pools automatic pool cover? That is the company brochure that he handed to me today. I had only heard of coverstar eclipse...

Thanks in advance!

There is some truth to the swg vs auto pool cover debate. I have none in my area that are old only a recent build but its liquid chlorine stennar setup. Do some reading and research there are different well setups some show and some are hidden with coping/decking. Pricey option so be sure of what you're getting

......Anyone have a Cover Pools automatic pool cover? That is the company brochure that he handed to me today. I had only heard of coverstar eclipse...

Thanks in advance!
Our previous pool had a Coverpools auto cover. The cover fabric lasted about 8 - 9 years before a full replacement was needed, though i did patch a few small leaks along the way starting around year 7. No service calls were needed for mechanics in that time...what few little issues / adjustments I had, I was able to do myself. That pool was not an SWG pool.

Due to the size and shape of our new pool, an autocover wasnt feasible. But if i were getting another auto cover, i would absolutely consider another Coverpools unit, based on my past experience.

Some possible factors to consider in the design -

1. A cover well that is designed with good drainage and easy access so that the cover can be rinsed as-needed and no stagnant water can
build up.

2. Connecting the track to the pools bonding wire system. If the track is aluminum then you should have an additional wire attaching it to a magnesium anode buried in moist soil. If your soil is heavy clay or dries out quickly, then the anode should be bagged in a cotton bag with an appropriate media mix to surround it and retain moisture. You could also install a drip irrigation emitter nearby or locate the anode near a sprinkler so that the soil stays moist. Copper wire (unsheathed bonding wire is fine) should be used to make the connection.

3. If the track is to be screwed into the coping or fastened with screws, the fasteners should be nonferrous (aluminum) or a corrosion resistant stainless steel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.