Paxination's Pool - Updated

Re: How to lower TA

Paxination said:
Ok I went by my pools dimensions and it should have been 2100 gallons and intexs web site says about 1500!
If you used the pool calculator to figure the gallons, it assumes you have straight sides, and the Easy Set is anything but! So yes, use the Intex website or your owners manual to figure out the gallons. (You might fix your sig too, so we don't make mistakes on that basis in the future.) :goodjob:
--paulr

Not yet! I had to drive to the VA cemetery in Salisbury to see my mother today! An hours drive! On my way home now. Gonna go eat and get wet!

Gonna go eat and get wet!
Now that's what pools are for!!

If that were my pool, I'd run the SWG about 6-8 hours daily and test nothing but Chlorine and pH with the color matching block that you have that will test them both.

If your chlorine test gets really dark yellow or orangeish, stop running the swg until it gets back to very, very light yellow. Pretty soon, you'll figure out how much run time you need to keep the chlorine mid-yellow and you'll do that same routine the rest of the summer.

Everyone has helped you get your numbers almost exactly where they need to be to have a trouble free summer.

Ok now that I finally got enjoy it, and got to feel the softness of the salt water that I have heard about salt pools, and fixed the high salt/CYA, I have a/some questions!

The calc suggest a FC range of 3-10! Since my pool lives under a bunch trees would it be best to keep it around 5-7? Should I keep it higher with the trees? Surprising enough it kept fine at 3 the last 2 days until we used and drained 1/5 of the water out!

The calc also suggest a pH range of 7.5-7.8, do you agree with that?

Sorry for the double post, I'm in bed and posting from my blackberry!

Do you think I could get a good idea of how much chlorine my SWG produces at its current salt level by running it for 1 hour and taking a reading BEFORE and AFTER and subtracting the difference?

Do not overthink this pool.

Keep the chlorine as I suggested and the pH somewhere in the mid 7's

You are making this w-a-a-a-y too hard.....YOu should be enjoying your pool

I suggest you test for chlorine just before the SWG turns on. That tells you your daily minimum, which is really the important number. How much it produces each day is not so important; keeping your daily minimum high enough is what matters.
--paulr

So one last question! I know I should check my pH and FC,CC and TC every day. Is once a day fine or what? If once a day, I am assuming at night after sundown?

I test FC & pH every day. I test CC if I think I might have a problem or every few days. The time of day you test isn't as important as testing after the pump has been running and hour or so. That's a mute point if you run the pump 24 hours a day.

If I had a SWCG I'd do as Paul recommended. Test the water just before the SWCG comes on. That way you know the lowest FC of the day and can adjust accordingly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

And just to let ya'll know! I just ordered my TF100 kit. The place it ships from is here in NC so it should be here by friday the latest I hope.

Yeah he is in Raleigh! That is like 3 hours from me. If he mails it out first thing in the morning I might get it tomorrow! Dang I hope. I'm off from work the next 2 days. Have plenty of time to play with my new toy!

So I have added borax to raise my borates to 40! My test strips came in yesterday! Unfortunately even tho I added muriatic acid to offset the ph change my TA went from 100 to 120! So I lowered my ph to 7 and I have my vacuums hose connected to my return and coonected the old inlet filter thing to my vacuum hose so when the water comes out it sprays everywhere! So I put my ladder IN my pool and suspended the hose above the water! Instant fountain!

So after 2 hours my ph has risen 0.2! So by 10pm I can add more acid! This next time I should be eble to get it to drop to about 80!

So I have another question. My FC is up to about 5 and TC 5 and CC 0. Has been all day. Hasnt dropped. My CYA is between 80 and 90. The weather today was cloudy. Very little direct sunlight on the pool today. No one used it but me when I was cleaning it and adjusting the hose to the skimmer and added some water as I did not notice it wasnt high enough. Just a 2-3 inches short of being full. At any rate with no one using it, and no direct sunlight and with the CYA level, is it common not to lose any FC like that? My FC test is a DPD. My TF100 will be here tomorrow I think. I never got a chance to check my PO box today. So I will have tomorrow. Yeah FC was 5 this morning and its 5 again tonight and havent ran the SWG or added bleach to the pool.

Well its been one week official and my water is still sparkling! My chem balances are near perfect! I still keep getting a little bit of dirt on the bottom of my pool so I think there is 1 more leak so where! I will try and do the bucket test! The water is very slowly goeing down! I have had to add water twice this week! And we only got in it twice!

On a side note I haven't got my test kit yet as the USPS sucks! Took them 2 days to deliver it to my po box, and they started closing at 4:30 during the week! And I didn't get off from work till 4:30! Extremely late for me! Hopefully my wife will get off early today and pick it up for me!

As shown in this map, evaporation rates can be high depending on where you are in the country. Also, warmer water evaporates faster so if you heat your pool the rate can be higher than shown in the map. Also, the rate is higher in the summer than in the winter in most places while the map shows an annual rate. So having evaporation of 2" per week or more is not that unusual, even 1/2" per day is possible, especially in windy areas.

Please read Leak Detection in the Pool School and do a bucket test to determine if you really have a leak. If it's just evaporation, then a pool cover can virtually eliminate that issue.

Where do I go from here...

Topics Merged by Moderator for consistency

Ok so what do I do from here as far as chlorine is concerned.

FC is 5.0 (4-5, still havent got my kit yet. Hopefully tomorrow)
CC is 1.0 (again estimated but CC's are present)
TC is 6.0 (5-6, estimation)
pH is 7.1 I know to add 7.7oz of borax according to the calc.
Borates should still be around 40 and TA should be around 80-90 and CYA should still be fine as it has only been a week and it has been cloudy most of the week.

So should I run my SWG for a bit or what. It has rained twice today and the water is starting to look a bit cloudy and we have been in it all afternoon between rains. Definitely needs a good vacuuming which I will do when I get time.

So other than PH needs adjusting should I run my SWG for an hour or is there enough chlorine in the water to oxidize the CC's and anything else in it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.