Pavers or Concrete around Pool?

I have stamped concrete. If I had to do it all over again, PAVERS all the way. The soil was prepared properly, crushed stone, drainage, etc. Still 5 years later, hair line cracks, really only noticeable where the cups are for the ladder and hand rail by the stairs. Other areas have not been compromised. Pavers will cost, IMO, about twice as much as concrete.

I have stamped concrete. If I had to do it all over again, PAVERS all the way. The soil was prepared properly, crushed stone, drainage, etc. Still 5 years later, hair line cracks, really only noticeable where the cups are for the ladder and hand rail by the stairs. Other areas have not been compromised. Pavers will cost, IMO, about twice as much as concrete.

Why do you hate stamped? The expensive & laborious maintenance products to keep it looking fresh? Too hot on your feet?

i think pavers are better for the reason that if u have an issue u can rip them up and fix issue and put them back down and never know there was an issue. concrete won't match exact if u have to redo areas. pavers yes more expensive especially if they are installed correct with a 4 inch pour under them. but again that will prevent heaving and such in my climate. my driveway is concrete. it was installed perfectly but still have cracks like mentioned above. i should have not listened to my fathers friends cause they were trying to save me money and did pavers over concrete and called it a day. i could have gotten 2 inch bluestone for pennies from a farmer my uncle knows it would have been beautiful but they wanted me to do concrete.

i would say after having pavers now for over a year. pavers all the way. my neighbor had to redo his lines for his pool. he has pavers. my buddy ripped them up. they fixed everything. put pavers back down. never knew anything was done.

jim

We went travertine paves. It add a little bit but when dealing with a new pool it’s a small amount compared to the overall price.

One benifit is if you ever need to do any work to the pool the pavers can be picked up and then reset. Concrete you’d have to break it up and then patch and try to match it.

The cost difference between pavers and stained concrete was not that huge on any of the bids we got here in Texas. Maybe because we don't have to do a concrete base. We ended up doing travertine, but I really love some of the concrete pavers. My neighbor has Belgard pavers (Bergerac I think?) and they are so pretty. My husband wanted travertine because it is a bit cooler on the feet.

I chose concrete. I have 12 ft around 3 sides and 6 around another. At $4 a sq ft it was most affordable and what I’m used to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We did exposed aggregate...looks good and does not seem to be as hot as plain concrete. No cracks this far...

Why do you hate stamped? The expensive & laborious maintenance products to keep it looking fresh? Too hot on your feet?

My dear friend Ray. I like my stamped concrete. The hair line cracks are near the pool coping and bothers me slightly, but then again, there probably would be shifting of pavers as well. Only if I had to do it again, would I consider pavers. To maintain the concrete, it is not bad. $300 every 3 years for sealer (which I do myself) and the concrete is really only hot when the sun has been beating down for days. Splash out keeps it cool, with even a little bit of water.

UPDATE: The hairline cracks are only near the cups in the concrete, where the ladder is and hand rail. Outside of this, there is only one minor near the coping, and nothing elsewhere. So far, lucky, but only time will tell. Next year, the sealer should seal real well as the hairline crack is small, but at least noticeable to me. No one else has noticed anything.

After a lot of activity, I always rinse the deck with fresh water and a mild soap solution that sits for a few minutes. I use a foam gun that is used on cars.

sadly exposed concrete seems to be a lost art i love it i love cool decking too i love pavers and i love stamped also ( i have been in concrete construction 45 years) usually cost is the factor .....with all choices back fill is the key too a good deck surface !!!!
good luck and pics please

i think pavers are better for the reason that if u have an issue u can rip them up and fix issue and put them back down and never know there was an issue. concrete won't match exact if u have to redo areas. pavers yes more expensive especially if they are installed correct with a 4 inch pour under them. but again that will prevent heaving and such in my climate. my driveway is concrete. it was installed perfectly but still have cracks like mentioned above. i should have not listened to my fathers friends cause they were trying to save me money and did pavers over concrete and called it a day. i could have gotten 2 inch bluestone for pennies from a farmer my uncle knows it would have been beautiful but they wanted me to do concrete.

i would say after having pavers now for over a year. pavers all the way. my neighbor had to redo his lines for his pool. he has pavers. my buddy ripped them up. they fixed everything. put pavers back down. never knew anything was done.

jim

A concrete base is NOT the correct way to install pavers.

A concrete base is NOT the correct way to install pavers.

how do u figure. 1. it gives the proper base to properly attach a safety cover. 2. it prevents heaving in the weather. i can show someone a ton of jobs that were done with concrete under them and they are all prefect and some are old installs. yes i can also show the same without concrete, but most are not as good as concrete ones than those without. the only way you will get heaving with pavers on top of concrete is if the concrete below totally fails.

how do u figure. 1. it gives the proper base to properly attach a safety cover. 2. it prevents heaving in the weather. i can show someone a ton of jobs that were done with concrete under them and they are all prefect and some are old installs. yes i can also show the same without concrete, but most are not as good as concrete ones than those without. the only way you will get heaving with pavers on top of concrete is if the concrete below totally fails.
My pavers have a small amount of concrete on the outer edge and then the inside is filled with a very fine sand. Almost like dust. Then it was compacted and the pavers laid. After all that a sand was grouted in with the pavers. Then finally they watered. Once this was done it formed a concrete type bond with all the pavers.

My pavers have a small amount of concrete on the outer edge and then the inside is filled with a very fine sand. Almost like dust. Then it was compacted and the pavers laid. After all that a sand was grouted in with the pavers. Then finally they watered. Once this was done it formed a concrete type bond with all the pavers.

right thats how u can do them. mine are done the same way except the edge pavers are glued down to lock in the grid and all pavers sit on 4 inches of concrete. it is just one way to do them just as urs are done another way.

Pavers 100%, it's better to spend the money upfront and be done with it. I have travertine pavers around my pool, it looks beautiful and it doesn't get hot at all. I have regular pavers on my driveway while most of my neighbors have concrete driveways and the pavers look 50x better.

Concrete just doesn't age well. Growing up we had concrete around our pool and every winter the cracks would get worse, you'd fill them in, and it just didn't look nice. Eventually my folks had the stamped concrete design put in, but it would get so hot it wasn't comfortable to walk on at all. Now this was in a climate where we had cold winters, so freeze/thaw.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.