Pavers cracked by cover installer

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
My looploc cover was installed this past fall after our build was completed in August. I scheduled my opening and now I'm noticing pavers are cracked by the anchors. 3 pretty bad 3 hairline. Also there's one extra anchor that isn't used, clearly installed in the wrong location.

Should I expect the cover installer to do something? Pavers were installed in August, drilled by cover installer in October or November, and I think cracked over the winter, but not 100% about when they cracked.

SOL? For the record not the PB's cover people because the PB was a nightmare and cover/maintenance was even worse based in reviews.

Pavers are in signature, I can probably just sweep some poly sand in, but frustrating to have our pavers cracked in 6 months.

Talk to the Loop-loc cover installers and see what they are willing to do for you.

I don't think the installers can be held responsible for the quailty of the pavers. The cracked pavers should be pretty easy to replace. If you replace them and the cover installer puts new anchors in that would be a reasonable compromise.

Reactions: Mills Pool Care
Talk to the Loop-loc cover installers and see what they are willing to do for you.

I don't think the installers can be held responsible for the quailty of the pavers. The cracked pavers should be pretty easy to replace. If you replace them and the cover installer puts new anchors in that would be a reasonable compromise.
Yea, I agree, not sure how easy it would be to get just the 6 I need. I think the Blu 60 comes in a pallet

Who installed the pavers? Find an installer or distributor in your area and tell them what you need should they have some leftovers from a job. Get a few extra to have available. I always keep any leftover materials for situations like this.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Most installers will use a hammer drill because it’s fast and easy. In some cases, it’s better to use a core drill but it’s much slower.

A hammer drill does exactly what the name says, it hammers as it drills. The hammer action can crack tile, bricks, stone or other types of pavers.

A good installer should know when a hammer drill is appropriate, and when it’s not. If a core drill is a better choice, be prepared to pay substantially more than a normal install.

What type of pavers (Size, shape material)?

Are the pavers loose set or mortared and grouted?

Are the anchors in the middle of the pavers or in between pavers?

Did the installers use paver tubes?

Are any pavers pulling up due to the spring pulling up on the paver?

Do you have pictures?

Most installers will use a hammer drill because it’s fast and easy. In some cases, it’s better to use a core drill but it’s much slower.

A hammer drill does exactly what the name says, it hammers as it drills. The hammer action can crack tile, bricks, stone or other types of pavers.

A good installer should know when a hammer drill is appropriate, and when it’s not. If a core drill is a better choice, be prepared to pay substantially more than a normal install.

What type of pavers (Size, shape material)?

Are the pavers loose set or mortared and grouted?

Are the anchors in the middle of the pavers or in between pavers?

Did the installers use paver tubes?

Are any pavers pulling up due to the spring pulling up on the paver?

Do you have pictures?

Pavers are techobloc blu60, size is variable, as is shape. A mix of rectangle and square.

Pavers are set with polymeric sand

Anchors are mixed, some center some near corners none on joints.

Pavers tubes are used I believe

No pavers pulling up

Pics:

They did not use paver tubes, which are required for loose set pavers. Without paver tubes, the pavers can begin to get pulled up over time.

It looks like they used a hammer drill. A hammer drill can usually be used in the center of a large paver without cracking, but it’s always a risk when drilling pavers.

Hammer drilling in small pavers or near the edges will usually result in cracking. Drilling in the joints can be a good option as long as the joints line up where an anchor can go.

If cracking is anticipated, then using a core drill will be a better option, but you should be notified beforehand if the cost will be higher for core drilling as it takes longer and the drill bits are more expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.