Paver Digging

daisylubob

Jun 1, 2020
Michigan
I got pavers for the legs and have started digging. Is there some sort of trick or method to dig a square and just enough dirt out, so its not too deep or too big? I dont want to put dirt back in....Using a square shovel, not a spade. Thanks.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I suspect you may have already gotten this done. But just in case case, there's no "one way" to install a paver. You can lay it down and score the ground to make an outline so that you know the size and position to dig. Digging down you do the best you can to have a uniform depth. If it's too lumpy, you can add some soil, sand, or small gravel as a base to level it out. In this scenario, it's not a perfect science. Just do the best you can.

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Masonry tools can be used for soils too. :)

Seriously, if you get your hole within an inch with the shovel, use a masons trowel, margin trowel, or in a pinch a 3" putty knife to take out the rest of the soil. Much easier to take out small amounts and to keep things level.

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Masonry tools can be used for soils too. :)

Seriously, if you get your hole within an inch with the shovel, use a masons trowel, margin trowel, or in a pinch a 3" putty knife to take out the rest of the soil. Much easier to take out small amounts and to keep things level.

Works good if you are setting pavers to walk on, as well.