Patio drain question

rk05

Jan 20, 2018
cincy ohio
So we have a L shaped wall that is 4' high on one side and goes down to grade on the shorter side. The pool installer is going to put in linear drains around the pool deck I'm assuming to keep mostly rain water away. I have also seen pictures of pool decks that have walls were there is a gap between the wall and the deck (cement) that has rocks of some kind filling that gap.

I have two thoughts on both of these: 1) if the concrete goes all the way to the wall if the wall shifts/settles that could crack the concrete. 2) If there is a gap between the two that separates them allowing movement, the drain can be put under the rocks.

Is this more of a personal choice or is there any merit to what I'm thinking? I'm sure I'm overthinking this whole idea.

Don't worry - you will have many other decisions to overthink in your pool build! :)

My biggest "issue" is that my wall is stucco and not flat; the drain is very flat, so there are some small gaps. I could probably fill it with something, but it is very far down on my priority list. Here is a picture of mine. And I would not worry too much about anything settling as long as everything is built properly.IMG_1447.jpg

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

Have the builder use wide grates that are removeable and can be cleaned out easily like in the first pic in post #3. The narrow grates in post #4 cannot be easily removed without breaking them and will clog up over time with silt. Drains are worthless if the clog up over time and can not be easily cleaned out.

You can, and probably should, put a drain under the rock (builder should know if a drain is needed there). As for a wall, it won't shift or settle if it's put in properly. Check references for walls he's done and see what they look like 5 years out. They should not have moved at all. A good guide can be found on ndspro.com for drainage solutions. I'm sure your builder knows, but you can confirm that the drain is sufficient for whatever runoff you're trying to control. My .02 on the rocks is that they look great when new. But a few years after the install there is debris caught all in them and they weather and don't look good anymore. By your pool you'll always see it so keep that in mind.

The wall builder did a good job and had good references so I feel the wall should be good. A drain of some kind would obviously be there I just wanted to get a feel how people thought about this.

I think I will have the concrete go up to the wall and have a larger linear drain that can have the grate removed for cleaning.

A thought came to mind if we were to go with the rocks between the wall and the concrete was little kids. I'm sure I would find some of those rocks in the pool!

Nobody does the linear drains right to be honest. I'd go snap a pic of mine but it's late. When you butt against a house or wall the drain shouldnt butt tight. It should be away a few inches for another paver or concrete to be between it and structure. The pitch makes a valley there for the drain. In a downpour you want water to pool away from structure waiting for drain availability. Those micro drains stink dont bother if you have any decent area sqft wise. Stegmeier makes a channel drain with removable top. Nds makes the 4" drain with grates. I use the 4" nds 99% of the time it can handle a full size patio easily with a standard 4" pvc dtain pipe and needs very little pitch to flow. I use 1/4" over 10ft with no problems. I have 3/4" over 40ft on my personal paver patio and never had an overflow yet

The space with rocks works well if the grade allows it. The trick is to line the gulley with filter fabric and place drain pipe with holes down then fill with rock. Otherwise weeds grow up into it and slime builds

Reactions: Nectarologist

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JTG, I'm going to talk to the PB and see what he uses for the linear drains and find out how far off structures he places them.

We are wanting to put in some hardscape lighting on the wall and I thought the space with rocks would be good for that but my friend who is doing the electric for us suggested to place the well lights in before the concrete gets put in. Looks like the rock idea is out!

Depends on what kind of lights a d how big of a space you plan to use for rocks. Dont know the well type lights you are looking at but I avoid anything in concrete if possible. If they go bad, get outdated, or just dont like you ate stuck with them. Lights built into the wall are a nice touch and easy to do and landscape lighting needs very little space

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.