Paramount in-floor cleaning system main drain cover getting clogged

pdilow

Apr 24, 2019
Clarksville, MD
We purchased a house that had a Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system that was built ~1996-ish. We had the pool re-plastered a few years ago, and the pool company removed the main drain cover and replaced it with a standard Hayward style safety-compliant cover (like the one seen here).

This has caused us nothing but problems because that Hayward cover doesn’t allow leaves and debris through and almost immediately clogs. The in-floor jets are doing their job pushing debris towards the main drain, but then it gets coated with leaves. Our deck canister is always almost completely empty while the skimmer is doing everything it can and is always full. I’ve tried finding a replacement drain cover similar to the old one that the pool company threw away but haven’t been able to find anything that works. The only solution we have is to take the drain cover off (which is unsafe and bad for the pool if something big goes down it) or loosen the screws as much as we can and shove rocks under it to create space for leaves to go through (which still eventually clogs because there's not a lot of wiggle room).

I’ve attached a picture of what the main drain cover used to look like (not the best picture), and what the drain/drill holes around the drain looked like during the re-plastering. Any suggestions of a drain cover we could use? It seems like we need something like the Paramount MDX-R3 drain cover that allows debris through, but I’m not sure if I can just install the cover for that new drain system onto our existing drain plumbing.

Thanks in advance! This forum has helped me through so many of our pool ownership woes!

Attachments

• OldDrainCover.jpeg
    OldDrainCover.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 33
  • MainDrain.JPG
    MainDrain.JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 32
Yeah, you are sort of stuck.

Have you called Paramount and discussed your situation with them - 480-893-7607 ?

@proavia

I emailed Paramount and this was their response, which doesn't help me.
Unfortunately, there is not a drain in the market that will work for you to go over that sump it has been outlawed with the VGB act. The only option would be to do some construction and put in a debris accepting channel drain.

@TrinaBNa what they would have to do to bring it up to code is demo the main drain completely and fill in that area with cement then re plaster that area. They could also cut out the area around the main drain and install a main drain system that follows the Federal Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act which requires pools to have approved drain covers installed and one other feature (there are several options) to prevent entrapment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.