Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator - is it worth replacing the lamp?

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
I have a Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator as part of my standard chlorinated pool system. This ozone generator was included in the pool build. What are your thoughts on replacing the burned out lamp? I am unsure what kind of impact I am getting from this thing and whether it's worth maintaining its use. Replacement lamps are ~$90. Thanks in advance!

Aaron,

Only if you believe in magic... :mrgreen:

I truly doubt that you will ever be able to tell the difference. At least not in any kind of measurable way.

Do you use this chart to determine what your target FC level should be??? FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ozone and UV are not designed to eliminate the use of chlorine, but rather enhance its effectiveness. IOW, the use of either, or both is so you can use less Cl.

That's the theory anyway...

Something to consider when deciding whether or not the unit is being effective with regard to sanitizing your water. If you are running the Cl level in your pool at the recommendation set forth by the Ozone/UV manufacturer, You should gradually find it more and more difficult to maintain the clarity as the bulb begins to loose its effectiveness. This can be an indicator of when the bulb needs changing. In a perfect world, you would be changing the bulb when it is dimmer rather than when it actually goes dark (If i remember, Paramount says around 18 months).

So the question is, Are you saving a least $90.00 in Chlorine costs over the course of around 18 months?

Keep in mind that, If you are running your Cl levels at say, what your test kit recommends, you may not see any noticeable effect of the O3 unit. Because that recommendation is not taking the Ozone/UV into account.

Agreed, this system is problematic in that the bulbs effectiveness changes as it ages, and eventually becomes ineffective, and if its in the middle of the season, you could quickly loose the pool if not caught in time. That's why weekly pool services generally ignore this system, and dose the pool as if there was no unit connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.