Palm Tree Germination?

Technobuyer

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2016
fort worth, tx
Howdy! Like many people in North Texas this year, I lost all but one of my palms due to the huge freeze we had. I had a really large nice Texas Sabal, that I don't think made it. Been hoping, but so far no signs of life. Last Summer/fall it dumped a ton of seed pods on the ground, and I just left them there, not thinking much about it. A few weeks ago I mulched the flowerbeds, tossing the mulch on top of the seedpods, again not thinking much of it. Well, yesterday I noticed I'm having dozens of these pods start to germinate, and I have little baby sabals popping up all over the place in this flower bed.

Anybody had this happen to them?

What are the odds that I could replant them and maybe have viable plants?

Looking online I see people selling these seed pods for like a $1/each. What a knuckle head I am. I had hundreds, if not more, of these just laying on the ground, in fact I threw a lot of them in the fire pit... Live and learn.

Thanks!

Howdy! Like many people in North Texas this year, I lost all but one of my palms due to the huge freeze we had. I had a really large nice Texas Sabal, that I don't think made it. Been hoping, but so far no signs of life. Last Summer/fall it dumped a ton of seed pods on the ground, and I just left them there, not thinking much about it. A few weeks ago I mulched the flowerbeds, tossing the mulch on top of the seedpods, again not thinking much of it. Well, yesterday I noticed I'm having dozens of these pods start to germinate, and I have little baby sabals popping up all over the place in this flower bed.

Anybody had this happen to them?

What are the odds that I could replant them and maybe have viable plants?

Looking online I see people selling these seed pods for like a $1/each. What a knuckle head I am. I had hundreds, if not more, of these just laying on the ground, in fact I threw a lot of them in the fire pit... Live and learn.

Thanks!
date palms sprout and grow all over southern AZ, I even have a couple sprouts in the compost "area" and I am at 4500 feet. there was one growing out of the side of the pavement under the interstate a couple miles up the road for years. I wanted to go steal it but somebody finally got it before me.

Also, the 12 mature Italian Cypress you see in the background of my profile pic, I planted them new 8 years ago at about 3 ft. They grew to over 25 ft tall and they are all gone now. That was a sad day. :(
I feel your pain. I lost this beauty not to cold, but to the previous owner planting it too close to the pool and surrounding tabby and walls. The palm was 55' tall and the picture with the root showing is at about 5'. The roots started aggressively growing up since they did not have space to grow down. Also included the grouping we placed on top of the 5' stump that can't be ground because it is right against the tabby. Incredibly sad day

Attachments

• Grouping.jpg
    Grouping.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Root.jpg
    Root.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Washingtonia.jpg
    Washingtonia.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Sad
Reactions: Texas Splash
I feel your pain. I lost this beauty not to cold, but to the previous owner planting it too close to the pool and surrounding tabby and walls. The palm was 55' tall and the picture with the root showing is at about 5'. The roots started aggressively growing up since they did not have space to grow down. Also included the grouping we placed on top of the 5' stump that can't be ground because it is right against the tabby. Incredibly sad day
had to look up tabby, interesting. will share with the husband who is a masonry contractor. being a born and bred desert rat I bet he never heard of it either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.