Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.

The one thing we pretty universally encourage people to not do is paint a pool. The paints of today are nothing like the ones of the past. Flaking, chalking, etc starts to happen nearly immediately.

Re-plastering, though more expensive, will give you a good 20+ years of life if you follow the TFP methods.

Wonderful! ?
When did these changes start? (Wondering if what we used 5-6 years ago is our best option as we intended to repaint in a couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The low VOC paints of today do not stand up to the conditions like the older ones.

Up to you.

I do not have that specific data. The regulations around paint have evolved over the last many years.

If you have a product you used before and are confident it has not changed, use it. This forum will just not recommend the painting of any pool surface.

I do not have that specific data. The regulations around paint have evolved over the last many years.

If you have a product you used before and are confident it has not changed, use it. This forum will just not recommend the painting of any pool surface.

No disrespect intended, but is there anyone who does have such data? I’d like to know why it isn’t recommended. Meaning what surface, prep work, type of paint, did it peel, flake, contaminate water, etc. Coukd any new products have come out since this was decided?

I haven’t done a search, but are there any recommended DIY plaster products that are recommended?

The equipment to plaster pretty much takes that out as a DIY process.

Here is link to a search on pool paint in the forum.
Google search results

So that’s to say we have three choices:
1. spend $30k to have ours replastered by a professional;
2. leave it as-is (looking as it needs repair);
3. fill it in.
[gulp]

I renovated my hybrid pool (fiberglass sides / concrete bottom) four years ago and had it sandblasted down to bare concrete and started again because all of the layers of paint were coming off in big chunks and getting into the filter when I vacuumed.

My experience so far has been favorable and would paint again if needed as both the sides and bottom are still as good as day one.

I was VERY meticulous with my prep and followed the directions EXACTLY regarding priming / mixing the epoxy and the wait time before starting to apply it, etc.

If you are just going to overcoat what is there now, the one super CRITICAL piece of information is to know what paint was used prior (epoxy / rubber / latex) as they are not compatible with each other and WILL lead to major issues in short order if top coated with the wrong one.

FYI, I used Kelly technical Zeron epoxy with a first coat of Poxoprime II to avoid issues with moisture in/on the concrete followed by a second / third coat of the thicker Gunzite primer to smooth out the rough sandblasted surface of the concrete.

BTW, Leslies pool supply sells the Kelly paint under their own brand name if that is more convenient/less expensive for you.

I should have clarified that my pool was always painted and not plaster from the day it was built. I would never paint over plaster as this just starts the hamster wheel of maintenance that you will never be able to get off of without a chipout and re-plaster ($$$$)

One more thought....My chemical levels have always been based on the excellent TFP standards so my paint has never been abused with "shocking" , absurd PH levels, etc. which I am sure have allowed it to survive longer than many here would predict. :)

Last edited:
So that’s to say we have three choices:
1. spend $30k to have ours replastered by a professional;
2. leave it as-is (looking as it needs repair);
3. fill it in.
[gulp]

Can't fathom why it would cost $30,000 to re-plaster the pool. More like $5,000-$10,000 (?)
But if that's beyond your budget, by all means paint it - just be prepared to do it every 2-3 years.

EDIT: You might want to check this out:

Last edited:
Can't fathom why it would cost $30,000 to re-plaster the pool. More like $5,000-$10,000 (?)
But if that's beyond your budget, by all means paint it - just be prepared to do it every 2-3 years.

EDIT: You might want to check this out:

At least one of the people told us it was because of the time and expense of sandblasting. So we opted to do it ourselves, sans sandblasting. For the $2000 (all in, including travel and hotel as we lived in a different state) it cost us, we were happy with the results. Now that we are back living at the house, we are better able to consider options and have more time to do whatever we decide. But I think if we had someone tell us $5k for refurb that would last many years to come, we would go that route.
thanks for the info on the paint. Will be checking it out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.