Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,

Firstly, very glad I found this forum. The wife and I are just beginning the process of looking for builders in our area (Thornton, PA) which is about 15 miles South of Philadelphia. We have small children (currently ages 2 and 4) who are beginning to enjoy the water and want to get something in the ground early enough that we'll have plenty of years to enjoy it. We're early in our process planning for a late Spring opening. As far as builders, so far we've got Arista and Anthony & Sylvan on our list to discuss for quoting. Would love some suggestions/feedback on builders as well as ideas for options to consider.

We're looking at the following build sheet:

Freeform gunite pool roughly 700-750 sq feet
80-100sq ft sunshelf w/ bubblers
2 Multi color LED lights
3.5-4' shallow end to 7-8' deep end
Stamped concrete decking most likely around 1000-1200 sq ft
Medium-large waterfall
Oversized SWG
Automation for pump, SWG, and lighting
Heat pump
1-2 benches in deep end
Variable speed pump
Aluminum fencing

Open to brand suggestions but thinking Pentair or Hayward throughout.
Overview of our yard
pool back yard mockup.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Andrew
Thornton, PA

Andrew,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool building Gorillas.... :drown:

I can't be much help with your build in PA, but just wanted to say we are glad you found TFP...

Let's see if we can get some of our PA members chime in...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

We are currently having a Anthony Sylvan pool built right now, just laid the steel rebar today. The reason we went with them is that my parents had one built by them 23 years ago and it has held up very well. I will let you know how they work out by the end of the job. They say we should be swimming the second week of August.

Andrew,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool building Gorillas.... :drown:

I can't be much help with your build in PA, but just wanted to say we are glad you found TFP...

Let's see if we can get some of our PA members chime in...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the welcome, Jim!

We are currently having a Anthony Sylvan pool built right now, just laid the steel rebar today. The reason we went with them is that my parents had one built by them 23 years ago and it has held up very well. I will let you know how they work out by the end of the job. They say we should be swimming the second week of August.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions once it's closed to finished. If you're in WC and you wouldn't mind me stopping by later on to check it out, that would be great. :)

Thanks for the welcome, Jim!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions once it's closed to finished. If you're in WC and you wouldn't mind me stopping by later on to check it out, that would be great. :)

We had a pool put in last year by Clark's in New Castle, DE. We are in Avondale, about 15-20 miles south of you. We quoted the pool out with Clark's, Sylvan, Blue Haven and Great Valley. While Clark's wasn't the cheapest, they had the best resume of work IMO. We only had one hiccup with the dimensions being off a hair, which the pool builder compensated us for. Clark's was also great with zero up-charges for extra dirt moving/issues. We had some problems with wet soil and collapsing walls. The PB had to come out a few extra times with the excavator to re-dig and then flash the walls with gunite to stabilize. For a lot of PB's (Sylvan/Blue Haven) that would have been some serious additional charges.

I am more than happy to share quotes if you are interested via PM.

RC

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in S. Jersey, across the river from you. I got quotes from A&S, Blue Haven, Budd's, Swimmor, and Jersey Pools. Went with Jersey Pools -- they were a little pricier but we felt better about their quality, attention to detail, etc. We're happy we went with them. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!

I’m in South Jersey - we did get quotes from A&S, Blue Haven, and Landi Pools and Games (Vineland, nj).

We ended up going it Blue Haven. Overall, we are pleased with the outcome. Their pricing was inline with A&S, and wouldn’t hesitate to beat or match what they were offering.

I think, had we to do it over again, we would’ve used Landi. We don’t feel like Blue Haven was involved once we signed the contract. We never saw a company representative onsite. We were never asked how things went or if we are enjoying the pool. And, I had to be constantly on top of subs to make sure it turned out the way I wanted.

Feel free to read through my build thread to get an idea of my experience with them.

We had a pool put in last year by Clark's in New Castle, DE. We are in Avondale, about 15-20 miles south of you. We quoted the pool out with Clark's, Sylvan, Blue Haven and Great Valley. While Clark's wasn't the cheapest, they had the best resume of work IMO. We only had one hiccup with the dimensions being off a hair, which the pool builder compensated us for. Clark's was also great with zero up-charges for extra dirt moving/issues. We had some problems with wet soil and collapsing walls. The PB had to come out a few extra times with the excavator to re-dig and then flash the walls with gunite to stabilize. For a lot of PB's (Sylvan/Blue Haven) that would have been some serious additional charges.

I am more than happy to share quotes if you are interested via PM.

RC

PM sent, thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in S. Jersey, across the river from you. I got quotes from A&S, Blue Haven, Budd's, Swimmor, and Jersey Pools. Went with Jersey Pools -- they were a little pricier but we felt better about their quality, attention to detail, etc. We're happy we went with them. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!

Will check out Jersey Pools to see if they work on our area, thanks!

I’m in South Jersey - we did get quotes from A&S, Blue Haven, and Landi Pools and Games (Vineland, nj).

We ended up going it Blue Haven. Overall, we are pleased with the outcome. Their pricing was inline with A&S, and wouldn’t hesitate to beat or match what they were offering.

I think, had we to do it over again, we would’ve used Landi. We don’t feel like Blue Haven was involved once we signed the contract. We never saw a company representative onsite. We were never asked how things went or if we are enjoying the pool. And, I had to be constantly on top of subs to make sure it turned out the way I wanted.

Feel free to read through my build thread to get an idea of my experience with them.

I think I've seen pieces of your build - will read through it tonight, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi All - Wow, thanks for all of the feedback so far. Here's what I've learned.

-Clark's and Monogram pools came strongly recommended but unfortunately don't service my area
-I'm waiting on hear back from Arista and a few others and plan to contact Great Valley
-I've received a bit of feedback on A&S and Carlton, mostly negative in terms of construction quality and scheduling concerns

If any other names come to mind, please do let me know. Much appreciated!

Andrew

You are doing all of the right things..........getting lots of quotes and feedback. Once you get some details on paper make sure to share them here so we can tweak them to make sure you are getting the best size for your pool and features.

Kim:kim:

I am working with A&S. As we have yet to do the excavation, I say much yet about their build process. The project manager they assigned is great. It's a huge plus to have them stake out the pool in advance of excavation (Arista does not do that). Their local engineer was terribly slow. I would recommend you bring your own engineer to the table if they would offer the same one I had. Get lots of references in your area as A&S is different from one office to the next. I did a ton of research up front and heavily modified their specs/contract. That made things slow and difficult for everyone up front, but will make me happy in the end. I will get a pool inline with what Arista delivers at a lower cost as in the end they all subcontract out. Although, A&S claims to have captures subs.

Sometimes I think the process with A&S is terrible and other times I think they have been doing their best to accommodate. Once I am done, I will reach my verdict. You cannot go wrong with their warranty. I did look at Arista and worried they would disappear overnight so the warranty is worthless. They were terribly slow to respond, if at all. They were awful with details as well and seemed to fly by the seat of their pants sometimes. That turned me off quickly. This all made me worry I would never see the pool or my money even though they have been around and had a good reputation in their heyday 15 years ago. The few people online that talked about them seemed happy. I felt they were not entirely trustworthy and reliable, but in the end I think all builders will have some serious negatives that come with them. This is a big project and having done some major renovations in my life, I have grown to accept that it will be difficult and contractors will only deliver a good product if you are well informed, drive the design (not the engineering design for the most part, the visual elements) and watch over their work very closely at every stage. That is what I do and trust me I do not go into these things without a large amount of research...to the point I almost considered an OB project. It's always a tough choice between supporting local business owners with limited reviews and going with a brand with a mixed reputation. If money is not an object, you can also look at Armond Aquatech in Bridgeport.

PM me if you want more details.

I am working with A&S. As we have yet to do the excavation, I say much yet about their build process. The project manager they assigned is great. It's a huge plus to have them stake out the pool in advance of excavation (Arista does not do that). Their local engineer was terribly slow. I would recommend you bring your own engineer to the table if they would offer the same one I had. Get lots of references in your area as A&S is different from one office to the next. I did a ton of research up front and heavily modified their specs/contract. That made things slow and difficult for everyone up front, but will make me happy in the end. I will get a pool inline with what Arista delivers at a lower cost as in the end they all subcontract out. Although, A&S claims to have captures subs.

Sometimes I think the process with A&S is terrible and other times I think they have been doing their best to accommodate. Once I am done, I will reach my verdict. You cannot go wrong with their warranty. I did look at Arista and worried they would disappear overnight so the warranty is worthless. They were terribly slow to respond, if at all. They were awful with details as well and seemed to fly by the seat of their pants sometimes. That turned me off quickly. This all made me worry I would never see the pool or my money even though they have been around and had a good reputation in their heyday 15 years ago. The few people online that talked about them seemed happy. I felt they were not entirely trustworthy and reliable, but in the end I think all builders will have some serious negatives that come with them. This is a big project and having done some major renovations in my life, I have grown to accept that it will be difficult and contractors will only deliver a good product if you are well informed, drive the design (not the engineering design for the most part, the visual elements) and watch over their work very closely at every stage. That is what I do and trust me I do not go into these things without a large amount of research...to the point I almost considered an OB project. It's always a tough choice between supporting local business owners with limited reviews and going with a brand with a mixed reputation. If money is not an object, you can also look at Armond Aquatech in Bridgeport.

PM me if you want more details.

Input like this is what makes me love this place quickly. :) Thank you! PM sent, if you're not too far away maybe I'll stop by as things progress. Assuming you had them change things like 1/2" rebar throughout, etc to match Arista specs?

- - - Updated - - -

You are doing all of the right things..........getting lots of quotes and feedback. Once you get some details on paper make sure to share them here so we can tweak them to make sure you are getting the best size for your pool and features.

Kim:kim:

Will do, thanks!

A&S would not change the rebar sizing for me or the pour depth. they said their pools are engeneered to the highest standards and properly done with the thickness and size rebar they use.

But like I said in a PM once I added all the extras t ocustomize the pool how i wanted it A&S was more and with lesser quality building standards.

jim

A&S would not change the rebar sizing for me or the pour depth. they said their pools are engeneered to the highest standards and properly done with the thickness and size rebar they use.

That's what they told me, lol ... When I asked them why my neighbor's A&S pool loses 6-12 tiles every winter, they claimed it was caused by backfill/drainage issues. Quite possibly a site-specific issue, but certainly influenced my decision to go with someone else.

But like I said in a PM once I added all the extras t ocustomize the pool how i wanted it A&S was more and with lesser quality building standards.

jim

Jim - Funny enough I received a few PMs saying that they got A&S (in my area) to move to all 1/2" rebar and that price was still competitive in doing so. Maybe depends on the strength of the sales rep?

Jim - Funny enough I received a few PMs saying that they got A&S (in my area) to move to all 1/2" rebar and that price was still competitive in doing so. Maybe depends on the strength of the sales rep?

I don't know man, but what I do know is even with thier free stuff here and there and discount if you sign now I ended up doing better with my local builder. Maybe I just got lucky I don't know. But I do know they didn't move on construction methods with me. Only adding skimmers returns and such. They wouldn't even get me a plain salt generator. I had to take that natura system.

Arista came out today to measure the yard and go through the initial interview with us.& It was one of the owners that came out (Nick) and went through construction techniques, pool size and shape selection, options, etc. Seemed like a nice guy and brings lot of experience and knowledge to the table. He's going back to draw up the 3D model of our back yard with some details as well as a detailed estimate.  A&S is coming out next Wednesday to do the same.

This is going to be an expensive project. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.