Ozonator question

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I noticed this when i was working on my hot tub. I assume this is the hose going to the ozonator (which is in the background of the picture). Looks like there is a piece broken off, part of it in each hose. What does this do and what is the name of the replacement part?

ozonator.jpg

Check valve, allows flow of O3 in one direction, prevents water flow in other from going to and destroying ozone generator. Generally said to last little more than a year. Ozone generators also have a limited lifespan.

I googled it and liked this answer:

In low concentrations it will smell like the the air does after a lightening strike. Kind of a fresh, watermelon smell. Put your nose over the water over the rising bubbles from the return. Is the smell more intense now? You could also try taking a plastic cup, put it under the water and allow it to fill with spa water; invert the cup under water over the discharge of the bubbles and allow the bubbles to displace the water and fill the upside down cup. Carefully lift the cup out of the water and quickly sniff the contents as it breaks the surface. The smell should be quite obvious if the generator is working.

My search was; "how do i tell if my ozone generator is working" and there were other answers.

As for me I researched it before and came away with the impression they generally last 2 or three years if you change the check valve annually, and use an ozone test strip kit to see if it has an output.

Easier now that I'm (inching) past the newbie stage, is hook it back up and chlorine demand should increase because ozone eats up some fc. I think mine eats up about 1ppm in 24 hours.

I googled it and liked this answer:

In low concentrations it will smell like the the air does after a lightening strike. Kind of a fresh, watermelon smell. Put your nose over the water over the rising bubbles from the return. Is the smell more intense now? You could also try taking a plastic cup, put it under the water and allow it to fill with spa water; invert the cup under water over the discharge of the bubbles and allow the bubbles to displace the water and fill the upside down cup. Carefully lift the cup out of the water and quickly sniff the contents as it breaks the surface. The smell should be quite obvious if the generator is working.

My search was; "how do i tell if my ozone generator is working" and there were other answers.

As for me I researched it before and came away with the impression they generally last 2 or three years if you change the check valve annually, and use an ozone test strip kit to see if it has an output.

Easier now that I'm (inching) past the newbie stage, is hook it back up and chlorine demand should increase because ozone eats up some fc. I think mine eats up about 1ppm in 24 hours.
Not on a newer tub with a properly designed ozone system. If you smell ozone as described, it is destroying your spa cover. Properly designed systems should contain the ozone until it has all converted back to oxygen. Breathing ozone is also not good, so it is turned off any time a button is pressed on the topside in many controls.
My spa is like 7-8 years old, sounds like my ozonator might not even work anymore. How do I tell if works?
Ozonator lifespans are measured in hours, so how many years it lasts depends on it's hour rating and frequency of use. Yours is unlikely to still be working. There is usually a "view port" that allows you to see if it's on. Looks like the small round white-ish "button" on the front of yours. It should light up blue or purple if it's on.

Reactions: phonedave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.