Oyyy … frustrated

Always remember the two (and only two) things that consume chlorine in your pool. UV and organics in your water.

You CYA of around 50 will hold your chlorine loss to about 2.5 daily. Any loss greater than that is organics (invisible) in your pool.

The higher the chlorine level the more the sun will get, given the same amount of FC.

You dropped from 15 down to 11.5 in a morning and half an afternoon. That’s about a 25% drop. If your CYA is 50, you want to add back to about 8 when you add for normal use. It may drop down to 5-6 during the day, which is a 25%-37.5% drop, then you add the 2-3ppm back in. This is typical. You just have to know how much it drops and keep it fed each day.

So Erik, how's it going? Last you posted back on Monday I believe and you were letting the FC fall to normal ranges after passing the SLAM. Are things still okay, or did you experience any new (unexplained) FC loss? As noted above, FC disappears for two things - the sun (UV) and algae. So if the FC did fall low today, first & foremost be sure to increase it right away. In a non-salt pool with a CYA of 50, the FC should be between 6-8 and never below 4. The FC/CYA Levels is our resource for that. If it did fall, hopefully you increased it right away. Then we will see what we can do to help you find out what's going on. Hang in there, we'll help you get through it.

So Erik, how's it going? Last you posted back on Monday I believe and you were letting the FC fall to normal ranges after passing the SLAM. Are things still okay, or did you experience any new (unexplained) FC loss? As noted above, FC disappears for two things - the sun (UV) and algae. So if the FC did fall low today, first & foremost be sure to increase it right away. In a non-salt pool with a CYA of 50, the FC should be between 6-8 and never below 4. The FC/CYA Levels is our resource for that. If it did fall, hopefully you increased it right away. Then we will see what we can do to help you find out what's going on. Hang in there, we'll help you get through it.
Yes it’s dropping like a rock . Still no visible algae . Also raining like crazy right now. So … I guess I’ll add chlorine to keep the algae away but ….
The reason I started the thread was although the pool looked great , I was losing chlorine at a ridiculous level . I feel like I’m back at the same spot , even though I did my first real calculated slam , it held after the second night. Soo I’m frustrated. Pump has been running 24/7 for 3 plus weeks . I’m still not confident ( as suggested in prior posts ) with the cya reading.

I feel like I’m back at the same spot , even though I did my first real calculated slam
That is key. This thread started with you being extremely discouraged and unsure of yourself. While this may seem like a setback, you are now sure of the testing processes, using your test kit, and completed a SLAM. Your water does look fantastic, but now we need to figure out why the FC drops. It's not rocket science and we'll figure it out.

So let's just start again. Once step at a time, beginning with a new Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you are up to it. I suspect it's getting dark there, so if you are able, increase the FC anywhere around 8-10 ppm if you can. If you can only go to 5 or so, that will work, but something in that area. Confirm one final FC test before bed and test again in the morning. Let's see if we're dealing with algae again or a CYA problem. I doubt you have any questions about the FC test, but just to be safe here it is again.

10ML water sample with ONE generous/heaping scoop of powder. Mix and add drops until clear. Take that number and divide in half. Example - 20 drops equals an FC of 10.

Let me know how it goes.

That is key. This thread started with you being extremely discouraged and unsure of yourself. While this may seem like a setback, you are now sure of the testing processes, using your test kit, and completed a SLAM. Your water does look fantastic, but now we need to figure out why the FC drops. It's not rocket science and we'll figure it out.

So let's just start again. Once step at a time, beginning with a new Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you are up to it. I suspect it's getting dark there, so if you are able, increase the FC anywhere around 8-10 ppm if you can. If you can only go to 5 or so, that will work, but something in that area. Confirm one final FC test before bed and test again in the morning. Let's see if we're dealing with algae again or a CYA problem. I doubt you have any questions about the FC test, but just to be safe here it is again.

10ML water sample with ONE generous/heaping scoop of powder. Mix and add drops until clear. Take that number and divide in half. Example - 20 drops equals an FC of 10.

Let me know how it goes.
Yeah it’s dark lol. I just added 2 gallons which should give me about 8 fc . I’ll test in an hour before I lay down and lay awake all night thinking about it. Then test again in the morning. I’ll let you know for sure. Thanks again

Last night 1030 added 2 gallons .
Tested an hour later . I came up with 15 FC which doesn’t make sense since yesterday afternoon it was 2 , and I only added 2 gallons. I ran the test 3 times same number.
When it tested at 2 it was 4 drops and then clear.
This morning. 15 FC again , Ram it 3 times.
Lol just more confused now.

Good morning! Well, it sounds as though you passed yet another OCLT. :goodjob: We can exhale a little bit easier now right? As for the odd results previously perhaps a testing error? It happens for sure. But refer to those notes above and take your time. Try to be consistent with your testing methods and I think you will find more comfort in your own abilities.

I think by now you know the pool eats chlorine each day. So it will slowly fall back down under 10, then you'll need to feed your pool-pet a little FC each day to stay in that ideal FC range. For now that's between 6-8 and never below 4 based on your CYA of 50. If your CYA changes, go back to the FC/CYA Levels. For now, enjoy that clear water. :swim:

Why did it need way less chlorine last year. ?
I’m still not confident my cya number is correct. Do you stop adding Cloudy mixture when the dot “ dims”
Or when you can no longer see it at all . That makes a big difference on test score.
Again , before any of this thread . 3 pool stores had it low , and test strips had it low.
Depending on how I read the dot , ( waiting for someone to explain) the cya could be on the low side or on the high side .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why did it need way less chlorine last year. ?
No way to know now without previous history. I'd just leave that in the past.
’m still not confident my cya number is correct. Do you stop adding Cloudy mixture when the dot “ dims”
The dot should go away. Don't stare so hard you make the dot play tricks on your eyes. Try to relax. Glance down, if it's there, add more liquid. Once you glance and it's gone, it's gone.
before any of this thread . 3 pool stores had it low , and test strips had it low.
I know, but you can't rely on test strips or pool stores for validation. They are the worse.

My notes below should help.
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

No way to know now without previous history. I'd just leave that in the past.

The dot should go away. Don't stare so hard you make the dot play tricks on your eyes. Try to relax. Glance down, if it's there, add more liquid. Once you glance and it's gone, it's gone.

I know, but you can't rely on test strips or pool stores for validation. They are the worse.

My notes below should help.
So , got home from work . Tested water .. remember it was 15 this morning. . Yes it rained today 🙄🙄. But now I came up with , at bear 7 fc …
Is it actually sunlight that is supposedly eating by chlorine ? Or daylight ? The sun hasn’t been out all day.
Still not confident.

So , got home from work . Tested water .. remember it was 15 this morning. . Yes it rained today 🙄🙄. But now I came up with , at bear 7 fc …
Is it actually sunlight that is supposedly eating by chlorine ? Or daylight ? The sun hasn’t been out all day.
Still not confident.
And FYI. As a control , I also used brand new test strips this morning and just now. They showed chlorine sky high this morning and around 6 just now.
I like the test kit now .. it’s just still not all making sense to me. I hate the pool store as much as you guys , I don’t even want to go in there to give them my money for liquid shock.

Yes it rained today 🙄🙄. But now I came up with , at bear 7 fc …
If you don't have good circulation, or robot running around, rain will not fully mix. If you pull your sample from the top 6", without good circulation, you likely just diluted your sample.

The other potential is that you did it with a sample size other than 10ml.

Let us know what you find.

FC from 15 to 7 in only about 9 hours? That's odd. :scratch: You're positive you performed the FC testing correctly? No changes in water sample location? Was the pump was running to ensure the FC was mixed in the pool BOTH times (before and after)?
As I’ve stated my pump has been running 24/7 for more than 3 weeks . Yes I agree it’s odd . I pour the LC in slowly in front of the returns.

If you don't have good circulation, or robot running around, rain will not fully mix. If you pull your sample from the top 6", without good circulation, you likely just diluted your sample.

The other potential is that you did it with a sample size other than 10ml.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks. The test was done 3 times each time. 10 ml . The pump hasn’t stopped running and the robot runs everyday. Next time I pull the sample after adding LC I’ll take it from the deep end. I can tell now just my how pink the sample gets , how high the reading is gonna be or not be.
Again , last year it didn’t lose chlorine like this at all. This is what I posted. I’m willing to forget last year but something isn’t right. I’m fortunate that the water is clear ( and I got it that way ) but I know it’s eating chlorine too fast. Last year I was using 4 gallons a week. And only 2 gallons towards the end of the summer. I kept the algae that plagued me in years past away. I’ve got a good handle on the process now but it’s brining too much chlorine especially since it’s not even summer yet.

Still time to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. Just sayin'
Thankyou. I did one 2 nights ago . It held. That’s when I lost sooo much during the next day. I really am following directions . Maybe some pool owners who have similar pools in similar climates can give me an idea how much LC they use every week. An average. Iof course nothing is the same . Especially with the mysterious cya.
Anyone have a similar issue and decide to go the salt route?

I'm in Ohio. I can lose 4.5 FC with full sun. Full sun with swimmers, I can lose 5.5 FC. 6 in nine hours seems odd, but I do have partial (20-30% shade). Maybe not entirely out of the ordinary. I track FC loss daily and nightly since I just switched from LC to SWCG to learn what I need to do to adjust SWCG. Maybe test morning (before sunup) and evening (after sundown) for a couple days to see what your FC demand is day and night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emahany

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.