Owner Builder Advice - So Cal

Hi guys, I received a few bids from local pool builders to build a pool at my parents home and did not come away feeling "good" about the pool estimates. I was thinking on going with the owner builder route since i recently remodeled my pool (plumbing, electrical, plaster, etc) and learned a lot during the process. Can anyone recommend any good subs (most that I used in the past have changed their #s), designers or engineers to use? Or give advice on how to proceed? From what I have read on the form these are the steps more or less I need to take, please critique if I am doing something wrong. Thank you
measure dimensions of pool
find a designer
send design to an engineer
use blueprints from engineer to apply for permits
get bids from subs
first inspection
get bids for gunite
get bids for plaster, tile and coping
finish plumbing and trenching
complete deck work, electrical, pad
final inspection.

Finding the subs is going to be the hardest part as most PB use the same subs so they are in great demand. That means the subs are not going to want to put any of their PB's pools on a back burner for a single build pool.

When we did owner builder before we didn’t have problems getting subs because we paid them cash and they wanted the cash Instead of waiting to get paid. Some even gave a discount for cash. I’m sure that is completely dependent on their situation but is possible.
Would you be able to find someone who helps people do owner builder? We used a guy last time and are using him this time, who we pay a fee to, he draws up the plan and gets it ready for permit, gives us direction on the process along with sub lists, orders our equipment and does start up for us. Kind of like BYOP but cheaper and more personal.

Reactions: kimkats
When we did owner builder before we didn’t have problems getting subs because we paid them cash and they wanted the cash Instead of waiting to get paid. Some even gave a discount for cash. I’m sure that is completely dependent on their situation but is possible.
Would you be able to find someone who helps people do owner builder? We used a guy last time and are using him this time, who we pay a fee to, he draws up the plan and gets it ready for permit, gives us direction on the process along with sub lists, orders our equipment and does start up for us. Kind of like BYOP but cheaper and more personal.

Hi Nikilyn,
I’m going to try to find someone who helps owner builders and has good reviews, I also heard stories about some scam artists out there who are suppose to help and don’t. If I can’t find anyone I might just have to bite the bullet and hire a pool contractor. Thanks for the helpful information.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.