Owner Build VS GC [How much is the time investment?]

gnr5

May 28, 2019
Miami, FL
Hi guys

I know this topic has been beaten to death here on TFP, but I couldn't find anything specific on the amount of time one needs to spend when going OB. So here is my story, I have three ways I could build my pool in Florida, however it sounds like Florida is not as easy to get subs to do a OB pool, from the few subs that I talked they were iffy on going OB route, they would rather work with a contractor. I have three ways I could go:

1. BYOP - I'm chatting with them, they charge around $2k for the drawing, and can get you bids from subs. They are opening an office in FL, and said they would need to make a few phone calls in order to get started.
2. GC - I found a GC that charges me 20% of the subs he handles and manages. This would save me SOME money, not much, but better than a PB, plus it takes the headache out of the equation. Local PB upcharge about 30%
3. PB - Less headache "supposedly".
4. OB - Biggest savings, but don't have any construction experience so not too comfortable

So my question, I work full-time and so does my wife, I have some flexibility during the week to work remotely if I have to, but I'm afraid if I go with BYOP or OB I just won't have the time to be at home dealing with the construction. For those of you that did OB, did you find yourself dealing with the construction constantly?

Hi,

I actually went with BYOP and got the list of subs, plans, and engineering from them.

On the positive side it's nice to have someone to fall back in for questions that arise during construction. I found them to be very responsive. Overall I saved about 25k instead of going with a pool builder.

On the negative side many of the subs were not local for me so I ended up having to do a lot of leg work in that regard anyway. This was probably the most time consuming part. Dealing with calling all these flakey subs and getting a decent number of bids from each. If the subs on the list are local to you then this aspect will much easier.

Once subs were lined up it's like clockwork almost. Just making sure they are timed correctly.

In terms of time it depends what you want to do or sub out. At the very least prepare to spend time at the building dept pulling permits and spending time with the subs on the days they are there. My wife and I were working full time but I got through most of it ok.

We also had a BUNCH of bamboo and other junk in the yard that I decided to take care of. Also fencing was something i took upon myself.

If I had known about this site before BYOP I may have not gone with them because of how much support you get here. But having gone with them did reduce the stress just knowing someone was out there to help me along.

It's a big project and you are going to invest a significant amount if time even with a pool builder becuase of all the decision making that has to be made. The benefit of the pool builder is the liability is on them vs you if something goes wrong.

Hope it helps and good luck!!

Reactions: gnr5
Great to hear @debuda ! Was BYOP local to you? Or was everything done through phone/e-mail? They are not in FL so They wont be here during the build.

They are a good few hours away so everything was done through email and over the phone. I was relying on there sub list but many if the subs didnt want to make the drive out here. Even now I'm having some scheduling difficulty with the plaster crew because of the distance.

gnr5
For sure, John_and_Val is an excellent source of information regarding doing a complex owner/build in Florida. Especially if you are considering Pentair automation, equipment, lighting etc.
If you are thinking about a complex build something similar to John_and_Val, you might also want to check with chemillion, although he is in California, he might also be a good source of knowledge, regarding the O/B processes and choosing Pentair automation/products.
All the best...
r..

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.