Oversized cartridge question (Pentair)

NorCalX

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2011
Brentwood, CA
I know the general advice is to oversize your filter

The pool designs I am looking at fall between 500-600 sq ft

One PB bid using Hayward and I see their cartridge size goes up to 700 sq ft so no problem oversizing there

Another PB told me they use Pentair and best as I can tell the pentair cartridge maxes out at 520 sq ft (CCP520)

I haven't gotten down to requesting specific equipment and models with the Pentair PB yet but am researching in advance.

What is the solution to oversizing with Pentair?
-Get a 2nd filter to run in combination?
-Are there filter products not listed in their residential section that go even larger?

Nor,

I think your train has gone off the track... :p

The size of the filter in Sq. Ft. has nothing to do with the surface square footage of your pool.

If your pool will be 40k gallons or less, the 520 will work just fine..

For reference, I have a CCP 520 and a 17K gallon pool. I only clean my filter twice a year and probably could go a whole year in between cleanings if I wanted..

And since you are in the planning stages, make sure you get a large VS pump, so that you can move water at a low RPM.. My filter pressure, under normal operation, is about 1 or 2 PSI, because I'm only running the pump at about 1200 RPM.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

ahhh ok. not the first time i have gone off the rails....i tend to overanalyze even without enough information

i thought the sq ft of the filter correlated to the surface area of the pool

my mistake haha

pool volume is going to end up in the 20k range

thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.