Overflow Drain underground

poolcurious7

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Florida
Hi Everyone:

My pool overflow drain, drains underground which is obviously not that effective.
Can anyone suggest a more effective method? Should it be above ground? Or underground into basin? Or other method?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 47
Has it always been like this? I bet that makes a mess but it does not clog up by the looks of it unless you cleaned the area up.....It DOES need to go to day light somewhere. Is there a good place you could send it in your yard? You could get some kind of basin that has holes in it to allow the water to get out BUT I don't like that idea as it will fill up fast then stop flowing out of the pool so it will not be able to do it's job................ Do you want idea how to pretty up that area?

My overflow is connected into my deck drains which run out to the street.

Going into the ground is just not good enough, especially in Florida, the land of the afternoon thunder shower.

The overflow pipe needs to see daylight at the end of the pipe.. Somewhere the water can flow away from the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Keep in mind that the overflow drain uses gravity, so you can’t just raise it up. The whole pipe, including the end, needs to below the water line so water can flow down the pipe and exit. It could definitely be moved, but it will need to continue to go lower and lower the farther you move it. Depending on your yard there may or may not be anywhere low enough for it to go.

The other option would be to have it drain into a dry well.

Here is what I was thinking to make it pretty and usable-dig down some and around. Not sure how far down or around as you know how that area is used and how much water comes out of the pipe. Get some landscape fabric and cut it to fit around the pipe and out as far as you want it to go. Use the "fabric staples" to help hold down the edges. Now find some pretty stones and rocks to put all around it. Make sure they are layered kind of deep to help filter the water.

Kim:kim:

Here is what I was thinking to make it pretty and usable-dig down some and around. Not sure how far down or around as you know how that area is used and how much water comes out of the pipe. Get some landscape fabric and cut it to fit around the pipe and out as far as you want it to go. Use the "fabric staples" to help hold down the edges. Now find some pretty stones and rocks to put all around it. Make sure they are layered kind of deep to help filter the water.

Kim:kim:
Thank you!

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.