Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool plumber got creative and drilled the hole in the skimmer for overflow. I might be loosing water because of the angle the pipe is laid. Is it right way to do it ? Any suggestions please. I’m in Texas and thinking whether I really need it.

Attachments

• D9A7476E-7BC4-42C3-9360-BD5CDFA08213.jpeg
    D9A7476E-7BC4-42C3-9360-BD5CDFA08213.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 114
That hole appears to be below normal pool water level - and will leak. Is there a pipe attached to the hole and if so, where does that lead to?

Reactions: Newdude
It leads side of the pool and towards by back fence. Is there way seal this drain ?

Attachments

• 144DF9A0-F54F-41DD-97CE-AD7168B4FE7F.jpeg
    144DF9A0-F54F-41DD-97CE-AD7168B4FE7F.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 36
Is the open end of the pipe near the fence above or below the normal pool water level?
When the pool is more full, do you ever see water coming out of the pipe end near the fence?

Is the open end of the pipe near the fence above or below the normal pool water level?
When the pool is more full, do you ever see water coming out of the pipe end near the fence?
Yes. I see the end of the pipe is wet and drips of water coming out but not constant flow though. I’m think adjusting the pipe angle should stop the drain but thinking do I need to.

If you fill the pool to the correct water level, does water exit the pipe or only when the pool it too full?
You should be able to adjust the height of the pipe so it only flows if the pool is too full.
Pics of the pipe neat the fence may help.

Do you understand the concept ? It sounds like it's working as it should, but the lower than usual hole is causing unnecessary concern. As long as the hole is properly sealed and the pipe is ok, it can be added at any water height and the pool will level to the height of the other end of the pipe when needed.

20220503_125323.jpg

Interesting that was set up that way, if was, but I don't know if I would not want the final outlet to be lower than overflow inlet. Seems like is there's a possibility for backflow of pooled yard water, and, a long drainpipe that is always full and connected to pool water (source of growth of nasty stuff?).

now that's some high-tech graphics right there. :poke:
I make NO promises about my artistic abilities other than I might win 4th place in the 5-7 year old category. But sometimes, like this one, a picture really helps the brain see the concept. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I make NO promises about my artistic abilities other than I might win 4th place in the 5-7 year old category. But sometimes, like this one, a picture really helps the brain see the concept. (y)
Very good depiction!!! Now, for my yard, a wet pipe looks more like this:

Pipe Pic.jpg

full

@srikantheee84, apologies here as we're having some picture fun at your thread's expense. :) Seriously though, did the illustration above makes sense in relation to how your pipe is routed out to the fenceline? Do you have the ability to manipulate the pipe height so that water doesn't flow out of the pool too early? Or do you still have concerns about the whole overflow set-up?

It leads side of the pool and towards by back fence. Is there way seal this drain ?

Plast-aid 80100 Plastic Repair Kit 1.5 Ounce 80100​

Mix it a little thick, like creamy peanut butter. Put a small piece of a plastic bag, or paper, in the hole as a filler so the compound won't fall into it. Try to not build up a lot inside the skimmer in case it would interfere with a basket. Repair will be permanent.

Reactions: srikantheee84
Yes, to be back on track, with possible losing water, do you know if and how a pipe is attached to skimmer box behind that hole? If it's not hard-plumbed to end of line, there would be a source for loss.

Plast-aid 80100 Plastic Repair Kit 1.5 Ounce 80100​

Mix it a little thick, like creamy peanut butter. Put a small piece of a plastic bag, or paper, in the hole as a filler so the compound won't fall into it. Try to not build up a lot inside the skimmer in case it would interfere with a basket. Repair will be permanent.
Does it work under the water or do I have to drain the pool ?

Yes, to be back on track, with possible losing water, do you know if and how a pipe is attached to skimmer box behind that hole? If it's not hard-plumbed to end of line, there would be a source for loss.
Yes. Here is the picture of it.

Attachments

• 313CCFA7-CD22-4045-90F5-406B9C0AF05D.jpeg
    313CCFA7-CD22-4045-90F5-406B9C0AF05D.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 59
So that is a real port from the back and he broke it through very crudely. To me it makes no sense for an overflow so what was the actual intent from a manufacturing point. That could have been used to be hooked up to fill back water loss possibly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.