Over night drop in FC

Noorm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2015
San Jose, CA
The Slam info indicates that if FC level falls overnight it indicates contamination is consuming chlorine,and my test results at 10 PM showed FC at 6, but at 7 AM it down to 3. Am I just wasting time and chlorine?I believe the only source of contamination is the filter. I cleaned my filter cartridges a week ago, but I'm wondering if I they just have to be replaced. What are the recommendations for cleaning paper cartridges?

Algae can hide in ladders, light housing, etc. So filter is not the only source of contamination.
You can always purchase a new set of cartridges and retest to confirm but I would look at other places that algae may be hiding.

Noorm,

Your filter is not the problem and "contamination" is not the problem. You simply have not killed all the algae...

The whole point of the SLAM is to kill all the algae, not just the stuff you can easily see.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am trying to follow SLAM, but am a little unclear on adding chlorine during the day. With CYA around 40 the table says I need to get it FC to 16. According to the chart in the Taylor Kit, 5 gallons should raise the FC from 0 to 16. but Last night 4 gallons of 10% liquid raised FC only to 6. Am I reading the chat wrong? And once I actually get to 16, do I have to keep adding Chlorine during the day to maintain that level?

If the chlorine you added was fresh and disappeared so quickly then there's a lot of something in the water. Have you recently experienced a sharp drop in CYA level or maybe added something to the water you haven't told us about?

How long after adding LC did you test and get a FC of 6ppm? You have something eating the FC.
Suggest you use PoolMath app to do the calculations. The Taylor charts are normally set up for x change per 10,000 gals so you have to do some math on that for your volume of pool.

You should maintain FC during the day by testing every 3-4 hrs and raise the FC up to your SLAM level 16ppm

Thanks for your answer.
I added the LC about 6 PM and tested at 10 PM. I adjusted the Taylor figures to account for my pool size.
At your suggestion , I installed PoolMath on my phone, but cannot see any calculation functions, just a Pool Set Up page.

If the chlorine you added was fresh and disappeared so quickly then there's a lot of something in the water. Have you recently experienced a sharp drop in CYA level or maybe added something to the water you haven't told us about?
If anything I may have inadvertently increased CYA by ill-advisedly attempting to shock with a CalHypo product 4 days ago, after having added 4 gal of LC which had no effect. Obviously I should have read the TFP info more carefully before I started .
To recap: 7/22 added 3 gal LC; 7/24 added 4 gal LC; 7/27 added 2 # Cal Hypo; 7/28 @ 6PM added 4 gal LC, ; 7/29 8 AM added 2 Gal LC :confused: :confused:

Autofill, weir doors, skimmer pots, umbrella holders, pool toys, covers, drain covers, light fixtures, ladders, inside of ladders, ladder anchors, steps, vacuum fittings…. All can hide the sneaky buggers. Check everywhere and brush all you can….

You got this!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At your suggestion , I installed PoolMath on my phone, but cannot see any calculation functions, just a Pool Set Up page
set up pool with the volume and type.
Then on the top left hamburger menu, it is a drop down and select Effects of Adding
This will tell you the correct amount to add to get the desired amount.

Also, once you put your test data in, you can tap on any of the data boxes to see adjustments.

Click the Check Mark on top Right to have the app accept your info. Then it will go to the Home screen.

Also - turn on Track Temperature as that affects CSI

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.