Bronze Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
Tampa area, Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Everything seemed to break at the end of my swim season last Nov. (I’m in Florida but we don’t swim below about 75 since the pool is not heated.) My SWG kept reading low salt even though it was perfect, my filter pump developed a major leak, and my Polaris 65 bit the dust. (and on top of that the hot tub broke -we had to replace the circulation pump). Florida is BRUTAL on everything. My hubby is handy so after trying to fix all of the above last month and realizing the fixes were almost as much as replacing, we ended up just replacing. I ended up using a floater and pucks all winter since we get really warm days and the pool can get warm enough for algae, which we got since I could not run the pump much because of the leak. Set everything up, ran the new sand filter (I had a cartridge filter before) and Polaris all last week. Pool LOOKS beautiful and clear. Check my readings and I am out of whack. I’m not really surprised, but still ☹??
FC 15.5
PH 6.5
TA 40
CYA 90
temp 70f

I just added 3lbs of baking soda (first time ever having to). I’m going to check the TA again tomorrow, then work on the PH. I’m usually the other way around high TA and high PH, so I‘m going to have to get more baking soda and some borax. Should I wait til my FC goes down or keep working on the TA?
I’m going to let the CYA ride for now since we will be having rain overflow pretty soon.

Luckily we wont be swimming til end of March, so I have time to get my pool back to normal. And it could be worse! I could be living up north with a winterized pool, or I could have algae.

Make sure to remove those tabs ASAP. Your CYA is too high and they are acidic which is causing the TA and pH to crash. Just use liquid chlorine (regular bleach) to keep the FC elevated. Was the SWG replaced too? If so, you can let the FC drop a bit. If not, and you are treating the pool as a non-salt pool, keep the FC up to about 8-10 with liquid chlorine/regular bleach. Balance according to the FC/CYA Levels.

See how the TA and pH do once you remove those tabs.

The tabs have been out for several weeks. Yes SWG was replaced. I have it off currently til FC drops to about 9. I ended up using the tabs because I was traveling a lot this winter and couldn’t run the pump unless I was home, because of the leak. Knew it was going to raise the CYA (it was low in Nov from all the rain overflow - so it needed to come up), but forgot about the TA and PH being affected from the tabs.

Now worries. I would expect FL rains and anticipated overflow to slowly bring the CYA down to the ideal 70-80. Increasing the TA as you already did should also encourage the pH to rise a bit as well. I'd just keep an eye on the pH & TA for the next couple days and go from there. :swim:

Now worries. I would expect FL rains and anticipated overflow to slowly bring the CYA down to the ideal 70-80. Increasing the TA as you already did should also encourage the pH to rise a bit as well. I'd just keep an eye on the pH & TA for the next couple days and go from there. :swim:
Thanks! I know exactly what do do for high TA and PH, cause that’s my normal, just wanted confirmation for low. I read all the time on here how bad the pucks are long term, didn’t stop me from using them, even tho I know better. ? The only other times I’ve used them was for very brief times during vacations before the SWG. I will test everything again tomorrow, then go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.