Our New Pool Build and The FUN (i.e. Stress) that Goes Along with it!

CC of 0.5 is normal sanitation by chlorine happening. You only should get concerned if CC is 1.0 or above for multiple days.

You are expecting too much from PoolMath. The pH change predictions are complex. The Effects of Adding section does not consider TA while the other section does.

As pH change gets greater then 0.4 PM gets let’s accurate. Do pH changes in small doses and test in between until you get to the desired level.

CC of 0.5 is normal sanitation by chlorine happening. You only should get concerned if CC is 1.0 or above for multiple days.

You are expecting too much from PoolMath. The pH change predictions are complex. The Effects of Adding section does not consider TA while the other section does.

As pH change gets greater then 0.4 PM gets let’s accurate. Do pH changes in small doses and test in between until you get to the desired level.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.
What is considered a small dose for pH?

Gotcha.
Well, I added 40 oz tonight before I read this so we will see. I have to get more MA soon anyway as I've gone through almost all of the 2 gallons I bought.

Get used to it. You will be adding MA regularly, 2-3 times a week. Especially if you try and keep the pH at 7.6.

Reactions: MeowMeow724
I have still been consistently battling pH.
I just adjusted our pump run time which was still set for 24 hours; 12 hours on medium speed and 12 hours on low speed. I changed it to 16 hours total; may still be overkill but we will see.
I am hoping this helps keep pH more in-check because I wonder if the constant push of water/air through the return jets lends to some of the consistent increase I cannot seem to keep managed 100%.

We finally got a robot vacuum in there- we wanted to wait until the first 30 days wait period were up but also waited an extra 30 or so, just because. It definitely makes life easier. We got a Dolphin Triton PS. It's "ok"; I have nothing to compare it to but I am underwhelmed with how it doesn't get the dirt in corners or on slopes very well, and I sometimes find dirt that has seemingly come OUT of the vacuum and is on the steps. I know the dirt wasn't on the steps before... so that is a bit disappointing. :rolleyes:

Sooo....
We had a paver addition done and there is an issue with the new stuff.
After much issue and frustration, I'm hopeful we're now in the right hands with warranty department of the PB. They're eager to make things right and have instilled some faith I was seriously lacking with this company. It is to the point now the owner is involved and we actually seem to have someone who WANTS to listen and make things the best they can be, rather than explain away problems and make us feel guilty for mentioning them.

They want to know more about the issues we experienced along the way with the things and the people we had issues with... and want to know everything we want fixed.

It sounds like they're going to rip out every single paver and start fresh. ? our addition has been a weird color and seems to suck in and hold moisture, leaving the new areas darker than the rest for basically forever. And they're darker in color than the original.

I mentioned the plaster issues with the heel prints in the floor, and lines going up the edge of the bench. There are also the ridges on the sun ledge.

Are plaster issues better left as they are and "suck it up buttercup" type situation?
I mentioned how I don't want to have things look worse trying to fix areas of issue.
They said they will go over all plaster issues and steer us properly.. if they're going to cause more issues if we mess with it kind of thing.

Short of replastering the whole thing.. if we were to have them fix the few issues is it worth it?

Last edited:
Are plaster issues better left as they are and "dealt with"?
I mentioned how I don't want to have things look worse trying to fix areas of issue.
They said they will go over all plaster issues and steer us properly.. if they're going to cause more issues if we mess with it kind of thing.

Short of replastering the whole thing.. if we were to have them fix the few issues is it worth it?

Listen to what they recommend and come back here and share it with us.

At last someone is listening!!! Too bad it took getting the owner of the company pulled in but it is HIS companies name so....it is in his best interest to get the problems taken care or AND to have a sit down with the ones that caused them or tried to brush them off as no biggie.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys! The paver senior rep is coming to look at those tomorrow.
Even more frustrating is because I emailed our PM about the pavers at the end of November, right after they were installed asking if they were the right color, and if so, something was wrong with them. All he said was "they are the same" and didn't answer my direct question of "what can we do about this?" And then I followed up two more times, added more people to the message and still crickets.
Communication is not their strong suit.
I've been honest about our experience, and still have lots more to say if the warranty manager is interested in listening!

The PB is hoping the supplier realizes they sent pavers from the wrong lot or otherwise. They're sooooo wrong.
Worse when wet, and it doesn't even have to rain. If it's super humid they can look bad.
We're waiting to meet with the warranty manager (who is the one listening and is eager to help) about all of it as he's out of town currently.

Just to note.. we STILL have yet to set a TOE in our new pool. The weather turned right when were cleared to enter. So all of this and we haven't even gotten to enjoy it yet. And also due to the same, our yard is still a dirt pit because it didn't make sense to lay sod in the winter ?

Here are some pics of the plaster and decking...

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_184512998~2.jpg
    IMG_20191217_184512998~2.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200106_163134415.jpg
    IMG_20200106_163134415.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 76
  • 123_1_12.jpg
    123_1_12.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 123951_71.jpg
    123951_71.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 123_1_09.jpg
    123_1_09.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200106_163329959.jpg
    IMG_20200106_163329959.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
When it's not wet, SOME of it "blends" in more. But when it is, it is WAY different and it stays wet for foreverrrrrrrrrrrr.
We will see what they say. Right now it's mostly dry so it doesn't look AS BAD as it does in the pics above. I told the warranty mgr that if the rep wants to wet them down, the hose it right there!

Ugh.. the vendor for the pavers came by (2 different people, 2 different days). They are focusing on one area that is notably gray vs. the rest. The others are somewhat blendy because it's been mostly dry. They are NOT getting a full picture of the issues, so that's frustrating. I wish I had wet them down before I left the other morning so they could see what I see!
I still have to meet with the PB warranty manager, so he can set it own eyes on it. I will wet them down and show him. Although I've sent a ton of pictures already.

We just met with the team.

They are going to get a new pallet of pavers, and also mix/match to blend them better.

For the plaster, they're going to drain the pool and do an acid wash, and also focus on the area with heel prints to help them blend in better, I guess?
There are areas where he said they either over or under exposed, and with the high pH we've been battling, it's making it more noticeable. I told him I've been dumping acid in there a lot. He said that whenever it gets high just dump a gallon in there because it's new, and needs it a lot.

They can't patch the heel prints to level them off because that will look like Crud.

Thoughts?

They are going to get a new pallet of pavers, and also mix/match to blend them better

You can reserve the right to still not like it if you had your heart set on a uniform look, but IMHO it will instantly give you ‘character’ and ‘accent tiles’ instead of ‘screwups’. 5 years down the road it will really shine. It will take the focus away from the 3 weeds that sprouted up yesterday and that one slightly unlevel tile/block that sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise perfectly uniform patio.

Hmm.. somehow I missed this whole thread! I could have added a certain flair of snark to all of it. We had our pavers sink and they had to redo the whole job. Wasn't fun and at that point it became a money loser for the PB and I could tell their #1 priority then was to get the job done and get out. But they did. It'll be okay, it does eventually work out. they haven't even picked up their advertising sign (after nearly 5 months) and I am about to throw it out on them. It's flat on the ground now...

We had the acid wash burp up on the steps after dark when we were filling the pool and unfortunately unless I sue the plasterer they won't fix the damage from it. So in my case the plaster isn't perfect. After several months, you really can't see it anymore, but you can still feel it if you know where it is. Time does heal some wounds with plaster if the wounds aren't so bad.

As far as chasing pH. I've been luckier than most in that I only have to add acid every couple of weeks. (My FC and pH has been so stable that I am getting lazy about testing. My excuse is that during the week I am not home during daylight hours, so I'll stick with that until I have daylight in the morning again.) Now that the pool temperature is under 50F I am finding that I'm using a third of everything I did when we could still swim in the pool.

A big part of that is that the plaster dust from the new plaster is just about done precipitating out 4 months out. Once it warms up a little more I do know I need to wash out the filters, but my pressures are still okay. So you should slow down on acid at some point. I was using a LOT of it at first and then pretty much all of a sudden I am going through maybe a cup every two weeks. (I use 3 teaspoons in my detached spa at the same time usually). My TA is actually higher than yours at about 110-120 (it goes back and forth on the tests) so even at that level it eventually will stabilize. Draining and refilling the pool might increase the time for it all to find its groove though so be prepared for that. Having to add chlorine and acid is normal, and it is a better situation than having the pool go the other way. I had that happen in my portable hot tub and it was difficult to deal with.

Pool builders love to just throw a gallon of acid in the water. You are better off measuring it and balancing. If you want to swing a bit to the acid side knowing it goes up fast you can do it. Especially at first it won't hurt much unless you over do it, like by adding a whole gallon... ;)

Good point, Kim!
I need to clarify if they're acid washing the whole thing or just the areas we noted.
There are more areas throughout and I think have gotten worse.

I.e. under one of the return jets there's an elongated triangle coming down the wall underneath.. if that makes sense. As if the water being pushed into the pool from it is running against the wall. I think maybe the jet needs to be redirected outward more?
But I'd hope they would fix that while they are in there.

I want to ask him if he will be doing the whole thing and if not, I'm willing to share the cost (open mouth insert foot because I have no idea what acid washing costs) to just do it all while it's drained because I don't intend to drain it again!

Reactions: kimkats
I did all tests except for CYA tonight and it seems pretty well balanced but the CSI is -.39.
Isn't that bad?

What do you think is making it so high?

Also I forgot to say in my last posts... I asked the PB what the amount of time was generally normal for a PM to be onsite because I feel like a lot of issues could have been avoided if they had been here more.
They proceeded to tell me that they were overwhelmed at the time of our project, the PM we had was new, they threw him to the wolves and that they "messed up" and they should have been onsite more. This was the PMs supervisor.

That explains a lot.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.