Our New Pool Build and The FUN (i.e. Stress) that Goes Along with it!

New plaster raises the pH rapidly during the curing process. You need to stay on top of it.

When the pH tests above 8.2 you say it is 8.2 in PoolMath with a target of 7.6 to calculate the MA dose. That is 26 oz of 31.45% MA. Add the MA and wait 30 minutes with the pump running and test again. Repeat until you get a pH in the 7's.

Reactions: MeowMeow724
Thank you. I'll get some tomorrow.
I have been using pool math to calculate dosages, and I think it gave me the option of 14.5% and 29% MA. I see others in pool math that say like, 20* Baume. I've never heard of that. Is that MA?
I found the attached online that I can get at our local store. Maybe they have more options in store but they don't seem to online. I don't see where it says anything about 14.5%, 29% or otherwise.
I'll see what I can get at the pool store.

Do I add it all at once or in steps?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191106-203557.png
    Screenshot_20191106-203557.png
    515.1 KB · Views: 6
Muriatic Acid Strengths

You will find muriatic acid in various strengths. The most commonly found are 15.7% or 31.45%. Although you may find 14.5%, 28.3%, 29%, or 34.6%. Alongside the % strength there may be a Baume (Be) number.

Add it all at once to adjust from 8.2 to 7.6.

Reactions: MeowMeow724
Present pressure is 4-5 psi, and it's running on speed 2- 1898 RPM.
I see air bubbles coming out of most pipes still, but not as much or big of air bubbles as when at the lower speed. I can hear the air coming out of the returns from outside the pool.

Also, our pH has suddenly gone off the wall!
Maybe that air you talk about continuously shooting out the jets is like aerating all the time and bringing the PH too.

After 26 oz 31.45 Muriatic Acid that I added at 1130am today. ☹?
I couldn't test till now because I had to go back to work.

I mixed the MA in about 2.5 gallons of pool water and spread it around the perimeter of the deep end. I thought that was the safest way to do it. Just read more stuff on TFP and I'll next try adding it in front of a return jet as recommended. Oops!

Is it ok to.do.it again tonight after hubby just brushed the plaster?

Something in my documentation from the PB says to only adjust pH once per week. If mine is this high I think I should adjust it until it's in range because other issue can ensue. Especially if I'm chasing my tail because of this aeration that's happening.

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_182405854.jpg
    IMG_20191107_182405854.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe that air you talk about continuously shooting out the jets is like aerating all the time and bringing the PH too.

I agree, and I don't know what to do about it.
I have a call into warranty and just waiting for them to come over now.

Okay so you have a war on your hands with the pH. Here is what you do. Turn on your pump so the acid gets mixed in well. Use pool math............now should be 8.2, target will be 7.5. Add what Pool math tells you to. Let it mix for about 15 mins. Test and dose again. Keep doing this until you hit the 7s on the test. It is a war but you can win it a battle at a time. Good luck!

Kim:kim:

Just added the amount suggested by pool math. I have to upgrade pool math so I can log more than just the one day where my pH was good. ?

I put it in my measuring cup I bought from the pool store that measures pounds, ounces, etc and poured over a return jet in the deep end. Then I brushed around that area.

It is now raining so that's fun.. we will see how it's all affected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191107-202007.png
    Screenshot_20191107-202007.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 13
Still hot pink ?

Why is it not budging??

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_212220484.jpg
    IMG_20191107_212220484.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 14
*sigh*
In trying to drop pH, my alkalinity has tanked from 120 to 40.

Now I assume I need to get that back up, which will bring my pH with it.

How do you ever get the two in balance of one takes the other with it?

And I need to find some kind of weight for my skimmer basket. It keeps flipping over. I don't want anything to get stuck on the pipes so ideally it would be bigger than. 1.5". Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have a large rock I put in mine. I made sure it was WAY too big to go down the pipe just in case.

Look in my siggy for the recommended chemicals. You will find there is some that help the TA without messing with the pH too much. I am SO I forgot to tell you about tanking the TA while working on the pH!!

Kim:kim:

Dear MeowMeow i am new here also and we are working on the details to put in a pool next spring. I have started a thread in the new pools.
Although i can not be much help in your case i want to VOTE for this thread as "Best of the Year!" You have done an awesome job documenting, looking, watching, paying attention, learning and getting educated from this journey. I know you will have the nicest, cleanest, sparkling pool in the neighborhood when you are swimming this summer. Keep up the good fight and don't get discouraged you are doing an excellent job and you can train your PB and pool store in the future.

We are not getting the full picture of what is happening with your water chemistry since you are not posting every complete test nor logging it to PoolMath. We can’t guess what is happening without a complete picture.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Your pH test looks like your FC is above 10 and is unreliable. You said it was not but I wonder about your testing methods.

Something does not add up.

We are not getting the full picture of what is happening with your water chemistry since you are not posting every complete test nor logging it to PoolMath. We can’t guess what is happening without a complete picture.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Your pH test looks like your FC is above 10 and is unreliable. You said it was not but I wonder about your testing methods.

Something does not add up.

I just got PoolMath upgraded today, so I will be able to keep all logs.
I didn't test FC on that last pH photo; it was only pH. If you mean the one from November 6th that I posted, which I did also test FC, to the naked eye it looked to me like the color matched with the 2-4 or 3-6 range. I had also used a test strip just before this, and the color matched with the 3. The photo may not be a good depiction. I would totally rather have some electronic tester that just does it all for me because the tests really are subjective.

The pool is chlorinated via the SWG. I only added chlorine once in the very beginning when that tanked, and just before I added CYA.

I am testing and adjusting what is out of whack given time constraints; I haven't tested everything all at once, and still need to learn how to perform the rest of the tests which is more time consuming, but I know needs to be done. I am usually trying to test and adjust on lunch breaks and then by the time I get home it's pitch black out which makes it way more complicated, but I am still doing some at night as best as feasible. This weekend I am planning to vacuum it, find a rock for the skimmer basket, and test everything at once. I will try and get full tests today, but it's really, really difficult given my time constraints and it getting dark so early. :(

I know I now have the following out of line (but need to test all together): TA is low. pH is high. CYA is low. CH is 250- I think low? Getting confused depending what I read.
Things are so out of whack right now. I am considering hiring a pro at this point.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.