Our New Pool Build and The FUN (i.e. Stress) that Goes Along with it!

TA of 70 is fine. CH of 350 is fine.

Relax and just let your pH rise naturally.

Your CSI will come up as your pH rises. Short term a low CSI does no damage. You would not want this CSI for 6 months.

You need chlorine in your pool.

Ok thank you!
I just turned the SWG back on tonight. I had turned it off a few days ago because the warranty manager freaked me out in also saying to keep the chlorine low (2ppm) and it was set a bit high. He was coming onsite so I didn't know if he was going to test it or not so I wanted chlorine to drop a little just in case. He didn't test.. So that's my oops.

Bring your FC up to 5 ppm using LC. Then use your SWG to maintain your FC target.

Reactions: wireform
I just read this thread. I felt like I needed to take a Valium after reading this....omg! I am so sorry you are going thru this. Hopefully, hopefully!, there will be an end to this and you will be able to enjoy your pool and be happy with the results (I feel like I could kiss the ground my pool builder walks on. I had no clue about anything when I built mine, and was ripe to get hugely ripped off and have a lousy build. But the pool is perfect, the equipment is perfect and easy to understand. Lordy, it could have been bad, tho.)

Thank you, carnivalday. I've definitely had lots of wine during this whole thing..
I'm glad yours went well and you avoided a bad situation! I don't wish all this stuff on anyone. Not. Fun. At. All.

To add to it... The pavers were redone and have white staining, and gray, which I think is from base that was on it, was made wet and then when they used he tamping machine.... Turned to concrete on top.
Here are pics of some of the areas... ???
These are the new pavers, that replaced the not only poorly matched, but also defective ones.

I seriously have a dark cloud over me with this entire project, even to include issues with the steps they took to finally correct things...

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_152920099.jpg
    IMG_20200215_152920099.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200215_152819030.jpg
    IMG_20200215_152819030.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200215_152819030.jpg
    IMG_20200215_152819030.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200215_152841636.jpg
    IMG_20200215_152841636.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 35
Hey folks!
I need to raise my pH, and I think my TA is low.. I retested today and things are lower. Frankly, I'm no longer comfortable waiting for it to increase on its own.

50 TA and pH... Let's just say it looks like I was testing chlorine and not pH. I am not sure why it's so off from yesterday but I may just disregard those tests!

Is it possible my pH and TA are dropping?
Maybe they used so much acid to wash down the walls that it is still somehow getting in the water and lowering pH? Seems far fetched?

I'm currently aerating with my bubbler but that's a sloooooooow process.

I read the recommended chemicals and tested various scenarios in PoolMath. was going to get washing soda and borax to have on hand.
In my case... Which do you think would be better for my current situation?

It looks like washing soda will raise pH better, but with a much higher TA increase. Borax is a slightly less pH increase, but much less TA increase.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_123947714.jpg
    IMG_20200217_123947714.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In your case I would recommend getting an electronic pH meter to rule out that something isn't messing with the titration tests. Get that and a couple packs of calibration standards, and use only DISTILLED water to make the calibration standards. Mason Jars with plastic lids work well for storing these solutions for months.

I will be a pariah here and say to get some strips, the Pool Master kit from HD since it's a different manufacturer and it's cheap, or whatever to get a second pH test other than a Taylor just in case. (Is it possible that one of the chemicals is bad? Yes, unlikely but possible.) The electronic meter is the best bet, but having multiple tests can rule out if there is something wrong with the test you are doing.. Maybe... well, this will get me banned or at least shunned likely... take it to a pool store... as a second test... but ignore their advice....okay?

BUT-- Yeah that's pretty low. Like not comfortable to swim in low... You can raise pH by aeration. It's the same concept as shaking up a soda bottle to make it flat. If you remove CO2, then you are also removing carbonic acid and pH will go up... but at below 6.8, that might not be effective enough. I'd be looking at some baking soda or soda ash. Your water IIRC is fairly soft in Florida so you could get away with it. But if you can tilt the returns upwards or even pump air into the pool somehow, you can immediately start doing this. You can also fashion an aerator out of PVC and use it to suck air when a return is running like many spas without air pumps do.

You can maybe experiment with a bug bucket of pool water and chemicals before you add dozens of pounds into the pool as well to scale up what you actually need. You can calculate what you need in pool math, try it in the bucket and verify that it works before doing it to the entire pool. If it doesn't then I would question the testing....

In most of the rest of the country the water is hard enough (and high enough TA/CH) that letting it ride is better. In general you want to use as few chemicals as possible in managing the pool since most of them you can't take out. In fact in most places the pH will always drift up.

Have you measured your fill water as a baseline? That might give everyone a clue as to what you are up against. If it's low CH/TA then raising it with carbonate ions isn't as big of a problem as it would be for someone like me who can sand paint off the house with the water at certain times of the year.... It would be interesting to see the pH of the fill water as well, as if it's really low.. then an autofill will always bring it down....

I did test my fill water. I'll have to look back in those tests. TA was high and I think pH was slightly high.

I have test strips they gave me on startup. I'll use one and see where it's at.

For what it's worth, and also be a pariah- I brought a sample to the pool store today and they said it's 7.2 pH with 40 alkalinity.
I showed him my picture of the test I did at home and he retested with another method and said it's about 7.2 still. I think it's lower.
?‍♀️

I also have been aerating for hours, using my sunledge bubbler.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_173535923.jpg
    IMG_20200217_173535923.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 15
Just took another titration pH test, just after the strip pH test.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_174045959.jpg
    IMG_20200217_174045959.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 19
You can also put a submersible pump on the the step and run it without a hose shooting out the water to create aeration.

Wouldn't my bubbler do a similar thing?
I had that on for a few hours last night and many hours today.

I got some borax.. but after researching I'm not sure I want to use it.
So I just got some pH Up and am thinking of putting 32 oz in a 5 gal of pool water to mix and pour in front of a return as suggested on the recommended pool chemicals article.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.