Our green monster! oh no!

Here it is Mike for future reference, I want to make clear we did not jump the gun and use this for algae. We followed the SLAM as close to the letter as possible, numbers steadily proceeded but clear water did not. We felt we were ready to give up until you and a couple others suggested the Alum floc...it is a great last effort before draining but only after all numbers are good. Had to let chlorine go down before the floc to check ph. It recommends to adjust ph to between 7.2 and 7.6 our was 7.5 .. We followed directions on container to mix with water pour into skimmer and circulate for 2 hours..almost immediately it began coagulation and looked like the ice in the Titantic movie..lol..turned everything off after 2 hrs and waited til morning...
The dosage on container was 4 to 12 lbs per 10000 gallons of pool water we went on the lighter side figuring that we could always do again if necessary. We used the 10 pound container..cost is about $38 at Leslie's here... It also says it can be used as a filter aid, not sure how I feel about that but it says it can. Says vacuum to waste and when finished backwash and turn on circulation system. Readjust TA and ph if needed.. Ph is def needed. Dropped ours to 6.8...

Once again great for water that will not clear after passing OCLT and cc .5 or less. This stuff did an amazing job. Alot of work vacuuming but well worth it for us..

This is the product we used..
bb1d3a1422a560c9237f3f0e239bb02d.jpg

a5a6786326ed43e68d9d4abaabb3993b.jpg

I can't thank all of you that helped on this project enough. Some of it was hard to wait on especially after passing OCLT but it was worth it.. Hopefully I will get to post pic of that quarter in next couple days, unfortunately for us and pool its supposed to rain here tomorrow and maybe the next couple days. Hope it warms back up so MAYBE we can get a week of swimming with my grandson in before we have to close up..Thank you all...
Mary and Allan

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for adding all that info, I feel smarter this morning. I had read that the Alum works better with the PH around 7.0 but wasn't aware that it would cause it to drop. The stuff is quite pricey too. Have you run the filter in normal mode since adding the Alum?

No Mike we still have alot of vacuuming to do today as we are letting it settle overnite... We think by this evening we will be able to tell if we need to allow to settle again..cloudy today so a little harder to tell how great it does look now unless you are directly over the side..thanks so much.. Thanks Kim I just want everyone to realize SLAM does work before resorting to Alum as a quick fix. Also we now believe that a floc was used by previous owner at some point because the stuff that rises to the top looks exactly like stuff that came up when we started dredging the muck out in the beginning.. We thought then that it was chunks of Styrofoam but if you touched it it would fall apart. So I now think he used floc when he first listed property for a quick fix and never vacuumed, which would explain alot of our difficulties with the fine fine matter..it was only a few small finger sized chunks but as I said looks exactly like what the floc does occasionally when it goes to bottom and sometimes just random chunks will float up.. Sorry I get long but after all we have been thru I want to help as much as I can...[emoji4]

You can be as long as you want. You've earned the right. I, we, are so happy that you are on the downside of this event and truly hope this never needs to be done again! But if it does, you always know where we are. I hope you stay and help others.

If I can stay healthy and able there is no way it will happen again. I have found the tfp way and that's what I intend to do... Had the previous owner found tfp we wouldn't have had this learning opportunity as soon but eventually I would have..I'm amazed..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.